“Wow; just plain wow!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea Winds of Marco

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marco Island
Sea Winds of Marco
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Wow; just plain wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

I had a few photo assignments in the southern part of the US so my wife and I decided to make a mini-vacation out of my trip. In mid-March she flew down to Ft. Myers (about 45 minutes from Marco Island) with our 18-year old Goddaughter and I picked them up at the airport. We stayed in one of the units on the top (17th) floor of the Sea Winds and we couldn't have been happier with our stay here. Margaret, the very gracious and friendly owner, couldn't have been better to work with. She was super nice and mentioned to give her a call if we had any questions about anything.

The unit was beautifully furnished with two bedrooms and two full bathrooms and a separate laundry/storage room with a stacked washer/dryer. The master bedroom had a kingsize bed and flatscreen TV and an attached full bathroom. The master bedroom also had a huge patio door opening onto a full-width outdoor patio overlooking the Gulf and the beach 17 floors below. There was a table and four chairs on the patio for outdoor dining. This unit also had a second bedroom with two single beds and an attached full bathroom as well. The living room area had a nice couch, two nice chairs, a nice coffee table, a big flatscreen TV and a lamp. There is a full-width glass sliding patio door with a sliding screen door here as well, just like in the master bedroom. The unit also had wi-fi and it worked great. Even when I'm on "vacation" I usually end up working so that was a nice touch. The dining area had a nice round, glass table and four padded chairs, all of a nice wicker-style which was also the design of the living room furniture. The kitchen had a full-size refrigerator/freezer, four-burner stove and oven, microwave and full-size dishwasher.

The layout of the condo was perfect for the three of us. Our Goddaughter is 18 years old and she had her own bedroom and bathroom which worked out great. Needless to say, the view from the 17th floor balcony is to die for. There was some slight noise from the folks on the balcony in the adjacent unit late into the night on a couple of nights, but other than that it was soooo relaxing to listen to the waves through the screened patio door at night. The convience of having a laundry room in the unit and a full kitchen with a dishwasher was nice. Everything worked perfectly and things were pretty well stocked, athough we had to buy garbage bags, bathroom tissue, and dishwasher soap as there weren't any extras in the unit that we could find.

As an architect and architectural photographer who travels over 100 days a year, I can sometimes be a tough critic. I'm always thinking of what I would do differently with a room/condo/etc. But really, the only thing I would add to this unit would be some much-needed undercounter lighting in the kitchen, and especially an undercounter light above the stove. And, maybe another refrigerator where the doors open into the kitchen space instead of opening into the adjacent wall. Also, I'd maybe add another towel rack on the wall in the master bathroom as well as a robe hook on the back of the door and a wall-mounted hair dryer. That's really about it. That's a small list for me and I hesitate to even mention anything like that because of the great stay that we had here.

Really, you're here for the view and the unbeliveably convenient access to the adjacent beach and the great pool and hot tub and tennis courts, etc. There are enough restaurant choices and shopping choices within walking distance that you'll never want for something to eat or something to do. There was a closet in our unit with umbrellas and lawn chairs and beach towels, etc. That was a super nice touch.

I can't recommend the Sea Winds enough. I just hope that it doesn't become so popular that we can get "our room" again..

Room Tip: Being in a hurricane zone it's not surprising that this hotel seems to be solidly built. It'...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank ScottyG777

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Madison, Wi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed at Sea Winds Condominium January 4, 2012-January 14, 2012, in unit 606. The building is located on the south end of Marco Island Beach. The building has, I believe, 17 floors and is a little older property (70s?) but well maintained. I stayed in a different unit about 6 years ago, so I was familiar with the property.
Unit 606 is a corner unit facing the beach with an awesome beach view all the way north up to Tigertail Beach. The unit was remodeled a few years ago very tastefully. Unlike the other unit I stayed in in the complex, the master bedroom is on the parking lot side of the unit and the master bath is not attached directly, but there is a pocket door that can be closed to make for a more self-contained master suite. The bathroom has a tiled shower and an excellent shower head with excellent water pressure, although the hot water runs out if others are showering, doing wash, etc. The king bed is very comfortable, although the pillows could have been a little better (I usually travel with my own). There is a large walk-in closet in the master bedroom. I actually like this layout better than some of the other units I have seen. The addition of some room darkening blinds would have been a nice addition, since the lights from the parking lot are quite bright all night long.
The second bedroom has 2 twin beds and a bathroom with tub and another very large walk-in closet. There is no TV in this room, but that would be a nice addition.
There is ample storage and many extra linens and towels and beach towels, chairs, umbrella, beach toys, etc. Also provided is a vacuum cleaner, 3 various size coolers, and a clothes rack for hand washables. The unit contains a washer and dryer, but they are the smaller apartment-size appliances.
The entire unit is tiled. The kitchen has granite countertops and newer appliances. There is a toaster oven, but no toaster, which we would have preferred instead. Also, the unit is in need of some additional kitchen utensils for those of us who like to cook and nicer stemware to enjoy the sunsets with a fine glass of wine.
The balcony is not screened; but in January, bugs are not an issue. There are screens on the sliding doors but currently in a state of disrepair, but are in the process of being replaced. The balcony is tiled with the same tile as within the unit and has 2 comfortable reclining beach chairs and a white plastic-type table with 4 chairs.
The pool area is on the south side of the building with access to the beach from there. The pool is nice and the location is a nice windbreak during cooler spells. There is also a hot tub, and tennis courts are located by the parking lot.
Getting onto the beach from the condo requires use of a key as does getting into the building.
We had an issue with the master bath window blowing in and crashing on the floor during our stay due to a very strong gust of wind, but the problem was handled very promptly. The owner had the window fixed and the mess cleaned up within hours…amazing. This, surprisingly, had no big impact on our trip.
I would highly recommend this property and unit. The owner is very gracious and eager to please his guests. Marco Island is awesome, especially if you’ve done the more populated areas of Florida, i.e., Tampa, Orlando, Ft Myers, Miami, etc. and are looking for a less hectic pace with less commercialism and fewer people. We were traveling with our 13-year-old and 19-year-old, and they had no problem finding something to entertain themselves, so families shouldn’t worry about lack of things to do. The traffic is less of a nightmare too. We love how everything is kept up so nicely on the island. It is the closest thing to Hawaii on the mainland without the long flight.
I could not recommend any restaurants on the island, as we were not impressed with any we tried. They are expensive and nothing impressive. To give one example, we tried Joey’s Pizza and were so disappointed with the “authentic Sicilian pizza.” The crust was very cakey with a very crumb-type texture. However, there is an excellent fresh seafood/gourmet market on Bald Eagle Dr (Paradise Seafood and Gourmet Market) to buy and prepare excellent meals right in the beautiful kitchen while drinking a fine wine and watching the marvelous sunsets. In fact, they will prepare a meal for you in parchment paper that just needs to be baked for a short 15 minutes or so and enjoyed….no prep and hardly any clean up and so much better than any restaurant meal we had on Marco. The staff is very friendly and helpful too. We did drive up to Naples and went to the Bonefish Grill, which was very good. It is very busy and if you don’t have reservations you may have a wait, but that always says something if a restaurant is that busy.

Things that I would recommend doing include:
• Shelling on the beach. I have been coming to Florida since I was a little girl and have never found such an array of shells as I have on Marco Island, especially on the south beach by the rocky barriers.
• Visit Shells By Emily at 651 S. Collier. Shells found locally and also from around the world. They also make many things with shells. I picked up our souvenir Christmas ornament for next year.
• Walk to the far north end of the beach (Tigertail Beach). It took me 2 hours both ways but I was walking at a very fast pace. I would plan at least 3 hours especially if shelling along the way. There are no buildings on the far north end and it is really beautiful.

• Liked — The awesome view.
  • Disliked — Kitchen needs a few more and better utensils, silverware and stemware.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank toto1234
Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here from Nov 9-16 and had a wonderful time. The place was clean, all dishes needed for a short stay, fantastic sunsets with daily appearances of dolphins, quiet place, walk to beach, great TV, wi-fi, washer/dryer and flexible owners. Would strongly reccomend this property and will stay here on our next visit to Marco.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fitness107
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I rented two condos (Units #103, 303 -- I think) with friends through Prudential Florida Realty. Both condos had the same setup.

We actually fit 6 people in the condo. Granted, it's not exactly convenient, but it saved us some money! Doing this does require you to rearrange the furniture to pull out the couch bed. I would agree that four people at most would be most comfortable. The living room is extremely small and basically consists of a couch and TV. The kitchen has ample counter top space. My favorite part is the balcony. It's huge and every condo overlooks the ocean. We had meals on the balcony and spent a lot of time out there.

The Prudential Realty company provided us with a lot of kitchen supplies, all kinds of towels and bedding, a small collection of novels, and even some pool toys. Considering there were seven of us, we all could have left our towels at home and still have had enough to shower with and take to the beach. They also had enough plates and utensils for us all. The washer and dryer was an invaluable asset for our group. We dried our towels at the end of every day and it was nice to be able to run a load of laundry whenever we needed to.

One problem we did have was the refrigerator didn't work. Granted, we didn't use it that much, so we just put everything in the freezer, which didn't freeze.

The hot tub is way TOO hot. That sounds ironic, but it was honestly unbearable. It took a lot of coaxing to be able to sit in it. I hardly saw anyone use it. The pool is heated and kept at a nice temperature.

The negatives were the keys. You literally had to always have a key otherwise you'd be locked in or out. I understand this is common when staying at a complex like Seawinds, but I wish we were provided with more than two sets per condo. Other than that, I also wish the tennis courts had lights! It would have been nice to be able to play tennis after the sun set.

Sea Winds is in walking distance to Irish Pub, Nacho Mama's, Rookie's, Capt Brien's, a 7-Eleven gas station, and other stores and restaurants in the strip area. We frequented those places quite often.

Room Tip: If I'm correct that we stayed in the -03 units, these are right off of the elevator.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank anothermkegrl
Wilton, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

We had a 4 unit family reunion at the sea winds, the week of Thanksgiving 2011. As it turned out we could not have picked a better location.The sun the surf and everyone one of us where very pleased.... not all of us had corner units, 2 of us had, the 2 had center units. The corner units are the way to go..... 11 of us had dinner more than once in room 1001 it is very spacious. The views are spectaular. The birds and dolphins where fun..WE can NOT wait until next year!!!!!!!! P.K.

Room Tip: Call Marie at MIR and spend a little more and get a corner unit!!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pjkennedy63
Plainfield, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

We booked a second floor corner unit for the extra space and view, and it was worth the extra money. Unit 201 had been recently updated, nice couch, good view of the ocean and part of the pool. The unit was ready when we arrived, was clean, and had sufficient sleeping room, bedding, and towels for 6. We did have a problem with the dryer in the unit (which required a serviceman to come out twice), but that was the only problem with the unit itself. Lots of equipment for the beach is provided for in the unit and the storage locker.
The Sea Winds complex is right on the ocean, with just a short bridge over the beach vegetation. The pool is large with a couple of gazebos if you need to stay out of the sun. There are a number of keyed doors gates you need to go through to move around in the complex. The security is needed, however, because you are near a public beach access point. This unfortunately means that there is a lot of traffic on the beach in front of the unit. We were not expecting mosquitoes and biting flies, but there were some around the pool area, particularly early and late in the day. We also encountered problems with some of the other codo occupanys who apparently think it is OK for their young kids to use the pool and hot tub as a bathroom (even though there are bathrooms right in the back of the pool gazebo). It was also difficult at times to get on one of the two elevators, so being on the second floor helped.
Overall, we had a good time, with just a few bad things to mar the experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TAXGUY_10
Miami
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

I am very disappointed, I rented and paid for this property in April 2011. The contract was for a 2/2. I arrived today and find a two bedroom apartment with a shared shower between two toilets and sinks. I have contacted the realtor but I was offered to split my family into another apt 1502, which I cannot do with young children. Additionally, the apartment is very dirty - floor, furniture & sliding doors - and in terrible condition with multiple blinds missing in bedroom and living room.

Hopefully you will not rent this unit and avoid this very unpleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family