“Not quite a 5 star - but can be”

Marco Beach Ocean Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 3, 2007

My wife and I recently spent 5 days at the MBOR and had a wonderful time. Part of the reason our trip was wonderful and memorable was the
cleanliness of the hotel and the service we received. There were many
nice touches we found at this hotel that we normally do not see such as receiving a call from the conceirge one week before our arrival asking if there was anything they can do, a tour of our room when we arrived (showing us where things are), daily sorbet service at the beach and pool, and my favorite - water bottles placed in our car when we departed at the end of our stay. However, i have a slight problem with the strict dress code required for the hotel's highly rated resturant and nightly cocktail service at the pool. Even the finest of hotels, don't require a strict dress code (a polo short and nice pair shorts should be able to work - not pants and a jacket (for the resturant) as we are on vacation after all). I also feel that the spa and business center can use some upgrading. As for the business center services, I found the price to fax a document to be a little outrageous - $50 to fax a 20 page document to my office. I also wish there was a place to get an accessible cup of coffee in the
am. However, these are not major concerns to me and i would stay at the MBOR again without question.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank MiKeSudie

Reviewed June 3, 2007

First let me start off by say that the Marco Island Beach Resort is a fabulous hotel. I highly recommend it and would stay there again in a heart beat.

My problem is that they seem to think they are better than they are-it is hard to explain but I feel that the place was great but not as great as they think it is.

For example the spa is sub par-the services provided were okay but the facility lacked in many ways. No tranquil atmosphere, no welcoming hostess, no perks, it was lackluster at best. In order to obtain the 5 stars they believe themselves worthy of they would need to really upgrade that facility.

I also found it was very hard to find help, in the spa I had no idea where to check in and in the gift shop I had to hunt for someone to pay.

The grounds were lovely but not tranquil, there is no real place to "hang". I would like to see improvement in the lobby area and an effort to make the place more comfortable to hang out in.

The room was great, loved the suite concept and the mini kitchen was a life saver-I would like to see housekeeping do the dishes twice a day and later standard turn down service (5:30pm!)

Overall none of these things would keep me from going again or recommending it highly, I would just like to see them reach the standards they think they already have obtained. It was a wonderful 4 star stay-but not quite the 5 they think it was!

3  Thank Saltyshopper
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I live in Northern VA and decided to have my wedding in FL. After much research, I decided on a little gem in Marco Island called the Marco Beach Ocean Resort. I made the perfect selection!!!

I was fairly apprehensive prior to the wedding because I had never physically visited the resort, but Anne Gardner was a remarkable coordinator that helped to ease all of my concerns. She was extremely professional, organized, and when I was finally able to meet her in person, absolutely gracious!

This was nothing short of my dream wedding! All of the hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. They made me feel like I was the most important person there (as every bride should be! :) The reception presentation was gorgeous! The operation was flawless. The grounds were landscaped beautifully! And of course, it's FL so there was much natural beauty in that alone.

I am so incredibly grateful to MBOR and Anne Gardner for providing me with such exceptional service! Thank you for your high standards - please maintain them! You are well on your way to 5 Stars!!

Jessica Garcia

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank FromJJtoJAG
Reviewed May 25, 2007

My Fiance and I LOVE Marco Ocean Beach Resort, so much in fact that I planned a special trip back from Portland, Oregon just to get engaged there!

Marco Resort has outstanding service and the amenities are immaculate. The staff is exceptional and extremely helpful and friendly.

Our favorite part of the resort are the beach chairs. We especially love how the staff personally walk you out and lay your towels on your beach chairs and come out and take your drink order.

We've stayed at the resort twice and can't wait to go back. We stay at a lot of nice hotels (e.g. Ritz, Four Seasons, etc.) and this is by far our favorite.

1  Thank jd6141
Reviewed May 25, 2007

Highly recommend the Marco Beach. Its elegant throughout and the service is impeccable.
The suite had a kitchen (which had fridge, cooker, microwave, toaster, kettle, crockery etc) a lounge, large balcony, spacious bedroom and bathroom. The standard of the suite was very high. Nothing was tatty or in need of replacement. The house keeping staff are a credit to the hotel. There was a morning and turn down service every day. They even did the washing up!!. Molton Bown toiletries are also used.
The beach consisted of white sand and warm, calm sea. We often saw dolphins and was a good place for shelling. The staff often brought ice cold lemon water around and sorbet at 3pm which was a nice touch.
There is a strict dress code for the hotel from 5pm so check the web site for full details.
We ate in 'Sale y Peper' which was excellent.
All in all a fabulous place to unwind.

2  Thank PoppyTT
Reviewed May 20, 2007

My wife and I just returned from a long weekend at MBOR celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty (better than we were treated on our honeymoon in Hawaii!).

All of my pre-trip requests were handled perfectly by the concierge and staff. A call from the concierge 5 days prior to our arrival to see if I needed any other assistance was a nice touch.

I had coordinated with the concierge to have flowers in our room when we arrived. A beautiful arrangement with a card was waiting for my wife. My request for a room above the 9th floor (beach view above the garage, a great tip from another write up...thank you!) was granted. When we returned from dinner on the night of our arrival, a complimentary bottle of chilled champagne was in our room wishing us a Happy Anniversary from the staff.

Is the resort flawless? No....the hotel is not directly on the beach, you do have to walk a little (through a nicely decorated garage :) ) Beverages are on the high end, and I know its nit picky, but there is not free wireless internet available (need to pay for high speed DSL...if you sit on your balcony you can pick up some free signals kicking around!). We didn't feel like bringing a suit and evening dress, so we skipped the hotel restaurant.

We ate at DeVinci's (within walking distance from the hotel) & Bayview for dinners and the Snook Inn for lunch, all excellent. We had the bed & breakfast package so we had room service every morning, which was very good.

I would definitely recommend this resort, you won't be disappointed. I can't wait to visit again.

Reviewed May 17, 2007

We had a long weekend with our 11 and 16 year old. We spent 4 nights here. The hotel was lovely and the staff extremely friendly. Didn't spend much time in the pool bar so I have no comment with regard to bar staff. The drinks were very expensive so we kept our pool/beach drink service to a minimum. Did not order food at the beach, but saw people that did and the bird issue, stealing food was not that bad. The hotel was not that busy and was clean and calm. The beach staff were WONDERFUL! They made sure you were comfy and brought around glasses of cold water and sherbert in the afternoon. We rented a waver runner right on the beach and enjoyed the beautiful beach and warm ocean water and breezes. The negative comment I have is that when you are looking out your window you feel like you are far away from the beach. You feel clustered in a mass of buildings. The lay out of the hotel is very different, you wind around entry ways and canopies, which are lovely to get where you want to go, but different. The Bell staff are very pleasant and always speedy with the car delivery. Rooms are excellent. Ordered room service every morning the staff were so professional and made us feel very special. Service was great. The required attire made us feel uncomforable before we arrived, after arriving no one made us feel under-dressed. We did not bring suits and ties/evening clothes so we had no intention of going to the restaurants inside the hotel. We left each night to dine elsewhere. Tara's -Great, Arthuro's-wonderful, 5 Brothers outstanding pizza, A great little restaurant out past the marina.
that had the best Pawn Dinner it was like eating Lobster. It is not cheap, but well worth the money, it is to be expected on a resort Island. The other annoyance was that the brush fires started the night before we were leaving. You could see the smoke in the air and smell smoke in the room with the windows closed and A/C on . I felt sorry for people who were just starting their vacation-It was awful!
I would go back to this hotel it was lovely.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Moorings
Edgewater Beach Hotel
Edgewater Beach Hotel
#12 of 59 in Naples

Been to Marco Beach Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!