This was our first trip to the other side of Florida. We moved to the Atlantic side several months ago, and wanted to see the Gulf. The hotel was fine. That's it - just fine, not spectacular (considering the cost). We picked it because it came up clean on bedbugregistry.com. We were first given a one bedroom suite, but it was so tiny and so overstuffed with massive furniture that we did not envision ourselves spending four days in it. The bathroom was miniscule. We were upgraded to a two bedroom suite, and that was perfect. This really should be the size of a one bedroom suite (and is, at many hotels I have stayed at). We were on the 11th floor, and as mentioned by previous reviews, the higher floor, the better. But if you are on your balcony, and your neighbor is smoking a stinking cigar, the pleasure of sitting on the balcony is definitely non-existent.
The beach was strewn with shells and was very hard, not soft sand. The shells were mostly inhabited by their marine life, and thus uncollectable. We did find a few of the prized sand dollars and empty conchs, but after two days on the table on our balcony, they started to smell terribly and we had to throw them out. Not like the shells on the Atlantic, which are buffeted and cleaned by the rough waters. The Gulf is mostly limp. The pool was nice, but the heater was broken on our first day and the water was icy, which somehow escaped the maintenance crew. I mean, really? The beach lounge area was also acceptable, but as at the pool, it is filled - like every place these days - with people yakking on the phone, smoking cigars, and being just insufferable. And no, I was not impressed with the attendants.
Altogether not a repeater. Go to Marco Island to attend a convention, if you must, but for a vacation destination, stay on the East coast.
The highlight of our stay were the dinners (and breakfasts) at Sale e Pepe. More on that at my restaurant review.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort epitomizes the AAA Five-Diamond standards. Marco Beach Ocean Resort features casual and elegant dining, a spa and fitness center, pool and hot tub, rooftop gardens, four miles of white sand beach and nearby golf, tennis and shopping. Complimentary smoothies on the beach and pool offered daily at 3pm. Wireless internet available complimentary to guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Odigeo, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Marco Beach Ocean Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marco Beach Ocean Hotel Marco Island
- Marco Island Beach Ocean Resort
- Marco Beach Resort
- Marco Island Beach Ocean Hotel
- Marco Beach Ocean Resort Marco Island, Florida