“Quirky, but overall an excellent property”

Marco Beach Ocean Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 15, 2012

You know how on cruise ships your cabin steward always addresses you by name and if a staff member doesn't know your name they call you "Mister" or "Missus"? That's what you get here. Staff is extremely friendly, very accommodating and they give you personal attention (special shout-out to Paul at the bar who it turns out grew up in the same neighborhood as I did). Even if they're in the middle of something (like front desk staff looking something up on computer), they stop and give you their full attention until your question is answered, problem is resolved, etc. You are also greeted with a "good day"/"good evening" every time you
encounter a staff member (again, just like we've seen on our cruises). This is a big plus. Champagne also appeared in our room with a "happy birthday" card the day we arrived which I thought was an extremely nice touch (both wife and I were celebrating birthdays).

The grounds of the hotel are clean, common areas are neat and well maintained and the staff obviously maintains the property properly.

The layout of the resort is a little... odd. First, unless you have a GPS or know exactly where to go, you could go past the entrance of the hotel even if you're trying to find it. The sign for the entrance isn't really facing the road and you actually don't see it until you're past the main driveway. The main building is almost right on top of the road also, so there isn't a long driveway and you have to (literally) make a sharp 90 degree right turn, then a sharp 180 degree left turn to come to the main entrance. The (required) valet parking is $18/day + tax but as I came to find out, all the resorts in the area have a required valet charge and some of them (like the Marriott a few hotels to the north) are actually more expensive. Wireless
internet access is available FOR FREE in the main building of the resort (there's no WiFi anywhere else). It's refreshing to see something like that (whereas most upper-scale properties will give you free WiFi in the lobby and then you have to pay a ridiculous daily fee
if you want to use it anywhere else) and while that may seem like a very small thing, when I learned that it was free it made me very happy.

The main building houses the lobby/valet, the rooms and a small gift shop. There is a small outdoor pool on the 5th floor which we didn't use because hey... we have the beach. If you want to get to the "restaurants" (more on why I put that in quotes later) you have to actually exit the main building, walk *through* the parking garage and down a short path to another building. This other building houses the lounge (which was not open) and Sale e Pepe (their signature restaurant). The other restaurants listed on their web site are really just areas of their dining room. For example, The Saletta is what they call the area right around the bar in Sale e Pepe. The Terrace is the actual terrace at Sale e Pepe. The Toulouse Lounge is
is a small room off the main entrance to Sale e Pepe and is only open during weddings and during peak tourist season (I was told). The Poolside Bar is on the 5th floor right next to the pool (not the "rooftop sundeck" their web site claims, unless by "rooftop" they mean the roof of the parking garage) and their Beachfront Bar and Grill is three tables right outside the external bar of Sale e Pepe (which is on the walkway to the beach). There's also no signage anywhere telling you which area is which. When you enter the second building, you see an elevator and a staircase and a few doors (no "Enter here for Sale e Pepe"). That type of layout just seemed really weird to my wife and I. (Side note: Sale e Pepe is on OpenTable so you can make reservations online) Note that to get to the beach, you have to walk the same route, but just go past the second building.

Food was excellent. Drinks were very well made. Cost of food was pricey (especially for breakfast). An 18% gratuity is added to *everything* you order automatically (sort of like the
automatic gratuity on a cruise ship). One would think that wouldn't give servers/staff any incentive to provide excellent service, but we actually didn't see this. The staff DOES work for that 18% which I thought was good and I didn't have a problem with the auto-gratuity.
It's something people should be aware of though. Bottled wine prices were pretty on-par with what you would see at a higher-class restaurant. We ordered a bottle of 1991 Joseph Phelps "Insignia" which cost us $275 (retail is probably about $170) so the markup wasn't huge.

Coffee sucks. If you're a coffee lover, don't bother even ordering it here. It's dreadful. I can never understand why resorts skimp on quality coffee in their restaurants.

The rooms were a bit on the small side. Yes, there's a small kitchenette, but that actually takes up a little more than a 3rd of the "sitting room". The bedroom had a large, soft, extremely comfortable king bed which took up most of the space. Bathroom was a good size with a regular tub, vanity, toilet and a small shower (small = room for one). There are a lot of plugs scattered around the room so there's no problems with hunting for places to charge your electronics, nor do you have to do silly things like unplug the TV or clock or lamps in order to get a free outlet. That was nice to see.

We were on the 8th floor which had a "partial view" of the gulf. The "full view" rooms were floors 10-12. By partial view, they mean your view is mainly of the second/restaurant building, but you can see a little bit of the water. Not a huge deal for us, but people wondering what "partial view" and "full view" mean with regards to this property should be aware of that second building that could obstruct the view from the terrace.

Overall impression of hotel:
Excellent. It has a few quirks but not enough to keep me away. I would go back there again if mainly because although my review may seem critical, it actually isn't; nor are the quirks enough to keep me away.

Room Tip: "Partial view" means you only see a little bit of the Gulf (you mainly see the resort'...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank fireman4

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I went to Marco Ocean Beach Resort a week ago for a long weekend. What a great getaway! This resort was a pleasant suprise. Everyone on staff is so polite and friendly and greets you everywhere you go....much like a cruise. Paul the bartender by the beach was the best! Have him make you his specialty an "Islander" yum!! The pool area is small but nice. The beach was large and pleasant with the umbrellas and chairs they provide for ocean gazing. Loved the shells covering the beach they were a lot of fun to sift through. Lot of conchs with a friend living inside! The rooms were very nice and modern. It is kind of annoying that you have to valet your car everyday but the staff was very fast getting the car at least. The one con is the rose smell that is piped through a machine in the lobby - smells terrible!! They need to get rid of this! Also be aware the bfast in Sal E Pepe restaurant was delicious but very overpriced. go out! Overall this is a great hotel that I will for sure return to!!! You will be impressed!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cmak75
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I love this hotel so much! Very accommodating. My one bed suite was great and then they helped me out on a two bedroom suite and I love it! The beach is amazing and I love the pool! This was the best choice hotel I have ever picked for the first time that I came to Marco Island and I will always return!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Had a great and relaxing birthday weekend ;) Everyone was pleasant and accommodating - made my stay even more special when a champagne was brought up to our suite ;) The beach was very nice and pool area (small but still perfect for lounging) is great. I definitely recommend this resort and I'm absolutely looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past, and have always had a wonderful and relaxing time. This past weekend was the first time we stayed at this hotel with our 10 month old baby. As usual, the service was impeccable from the moment we arrived. As soon as we walked into our beautiful suite (which had a breathtaking view of the gulf), we noticed a crib was already there waiting for us. We had brought a pack and play but never even used it since the crib was so nice and extremely clean. Our baby slept so peacefully the entire weekend! The fully equipped kitchen in our suite was so convenient, especially with all the bottle cleaning and food preparation we have to do for our baby. Everywhere we went--the beach, the pool, the restaurants on the property, the bars--the service was amazing. Room service was also terrific. Our close friends and both sets of our parents have also stayed at this hotel based on our recommendation and they all had amazing stays as well. We love this hotel and will definitely return again and again with friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LCMR1123
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Service was great.Everybody was friendly,and kind.We had a great time as a family.
We would like to thank Sertouch for his outstanding Beach service.He was friendly ,professional and very kind to our kids.Thank you all for lovely getaway.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Aycan L
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We decided to stop at the beach bar after a relaxing day at the private beach and we are so glad we did. The bartender Mary Kay was so friendly and very accommodating. We were planning on heading elsewhere for lunch but enjoyed the hospitality at the bar so much that we decided to eat at the bar. Come thirsty because the drinks are so good you wont be able to stop with just one. Don't miss the beach bar when visiting this awesome location!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
Moorings
Edgewater Beach Hotel
Edgewater Beach Hotel
#12 of 59 in Naples

Been to Marco Beach Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!