“Excellent !!”

JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Had a great time! Location / Beach cannot be beat - pricey yes but we kept the stay to three nights, knew what to expect and enjoyed every minute of it - service / food was terrific throughout the resort - employees are genuine with their smiles / actions - cannot imagine why a review would be negative - will return some day and we can't wait !

1  Thank bdouglasp
Write a ReviewReviews (4,056)

Reviewed March 19, 2010

First time at this hotel and last.. Staff was not attentive and plain rude in some instances. When I pay 400.00 per night I do not expect to be treated as if I am an incovenience. Room was just okay--nothing special. Food---not good--period. Have been to Marco Island several times before and there are MUCH better choices for lodging and dining available. Two doors down the Marco Beach Ocean Resort is one.

2  Thank 123girl
Reviewed March 18, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott for a medical conference she was attending. the resort recently underwent a 150 million dollar renovation and was spotless. The resort reminded us of something you would see in Hawaii. The rooms were very spacious and clean. The restaurants/lounge at the resort were great and there is a deli you can go to for small snacks etc. The beach at the resort is great and has some of the best seashells we ever encountered on the east coast. One complaint we had about the resort was that they charge 400 a night for a room and then charge for wireless internet service in your room. They also charge 12/night to park your own car. In any event we would recommend this to others if you are looking for a special getaway.

Restaurants we ate at;

All places were good but these are ranked from most favorite to least favorite

Verdi's

Naples Grand Resort via website 169.00 Rees Jones design-----great course

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank ldkjr516
Reviewed March 17, 2010

One of the best Hotel i ever been. Well designed environment. Very friendly staff. Overall a great expirience

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank DavidS59
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We also stayed at the Marriott Marco Island. Yes, the drinks were pricey, but you can't beat the location. I wasn't thrilled to pay $12 for a burger, but it was so nice to walk across the pool deck and sit down with 2 small kids. Yes, we could have gotten something cheaper getting a taxi and driving down the road, but it was convenient. For anyone with small kids, the kids pool is great. Although the weather was cold and windy (60's) the pool was 87 and they had a blast. I thought the rooms were fine.

1  Thank murrayka12
Reviewed March 11, 2010

We stayed here for a week in the beginning of March. We stayed using Marriott points that I had saved up for awhile. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate, as it was in the 60's most of our time there. And very windy. At a resort where the biggest attractions are the pool and beach, it was very disheartening that we could not use either. We tried, and my kids swam in 60 degree weather since the pools were heated, (very warm water)but my husband and I stayed wrapped in pool towels, sweatshirts and long pants while we froze in the wind and watched the kids. Forget the beach, the Gulf was freezing. Nobody was in the Gulf the week we were there, at any resort along the beach. And it seemed that the temp felt even cooler than the weather forecast stated, but I think that is because it was it was so windy.

The review is not about the weather though, and I'll say that I was pleasantly surprised with this resort. Pretty nice. I will also agree wholeheartedly with other TA reviewers, the bathroom layout is AWFUL. Usually things like that don't bother me and I don't nitpick about room layouts, but this issue is bigger than just nitpicking about. You had a toilet situated very very close to the bathtub in a small area with a door. Its so small that you could not really step out of the shower and dress while behind this door, you had to step out into the larger bathroom area which contained the sinks, a hallway with a full length mirror (more on that later) and a closet. And there was no door on that area. So anyone walking in or out of the room could see your bits. We actually had a connecting room with my in-laws and at any given time they could walk in our room and unintentionally seen me post-shower, which is not a pretty sight. They need a serious pocket door for that area.

Also, one afternoon my kids were with my husband while I was using the toilet by myself up in the room. And as a mom of little ones, you never get privacy on the toilet. I was totally enjoying going to the bathroom without hearing "MOM what are you doing? Where are you?" when the hubby and kids came barreling into the room, and came right into the bathroom. I decided to shut the door to my little toilet area but realized that if I was sitting on the seat, there was no room for the door to close! it bumped into my legs. Nice!!!!

We rented a car and were very thankful that we did since we were going stir crazy at the resort. We took an airboat tour and a Manatee tour on two seperate days. The Manatee tour went something like this..." hey look there's one!" and the rest of the group would say "where??" and you'd say, "oops, you missed it".

We ate off resort every night for dinner. I was very pleasantly surprised with our dinners, since there are not very glowing reviews of Marco Island restaurants.
We drove to Naples and ate at Roys twice, great food, even though its a chain. The other nights we ate on MI. The prices are in line with any upscale resort town. We ate at the Snook Inn- which wasn't too bad. You know what you are getting when you go- a seafood place that you'd find at any old beach town with an outdoor bar and nice views of the water. I found the food to be better quality than some of the reviews stated and it was perfect for my kids.

My personal favorite was the Capri Fish House on the Isle of Capri. Kid friendly, but nice, cozy, great water views, and really good food. We also tried Capt. Briens, and again, were very pleasantly surprised at the quality of food. I am a foodie and was not too excited about how our dining experiences were going to go on Marco after reading some of the reviews, but the food really was pretty good everywhere we went!

One day we had lunch at Stan's in Goodland to meet friends- that place was pretty funny. A totally laid back (and I mean LAID BACK) outdoor bar with OK bar food and sandwiches. The atmosphere was fun, and funny. It was on the water and your views consisted of run down houseboats occupied by seagulls. But the music was good and the people there really seemed to be having a good time. A good place to have a drink and say you've been there but not much else.

Three things I must mention, and the first is most important. The bathroom full length mirror was such a nice touch! BUT IT LIES! It made you look about 10 pounds skinnier than you really were. Everytime I breezed by the mirror, I was all, "WOW! I can get dessert tonight! I look good!" A few days into the trip, my son walked in front of me (because, you know, I can't even look into a mirror without my kids wondering what I'm doing) and my sons eyes looked REALLY REALLY close together. I was alarmed by this and walked over to the other mirror next to the TV and stood on the bed to see myself in full length. POOF, my short stubby self appeared, cellulite and all. Shame on you Marriott! I know your game- making people think they look good so you'll overeat at one of your pricey restaurants.

The second thing I have to mention was that a previous reviewer mentioned the breakfast buffet prices as being $30 for the full buffet. It was actually $24.00, and the cold buffet about 6 dollars cheaper than that. The breakfast buffet itself was nice, nothing special, just your typical decent Marriot breakfast buffet layout.

The person who complained about the lemonade cups has to be crazy. That or the Marriot changed things. Not only were the cups not small, but the cooler was right there so if you wanted more you could refill your cup. Nobody was standing there handing out small cups of lemonade, there was a glass cooler with water and lemons and a ton of cups for you to help yourself.

The service was great. I also did not feel nickel and dimed at this resort. For breakfast a few mornings, I stopped at the coffee shop and got a large coffee, a bagel, yogurts for the kids and a granola/yogurt thing for myself which was HUGE, and the cost was $16. They were very reasonable, and the coffee was good. A great alternative to sitting down to eat somewhere.

The fridge is a joke, it is a chiller and keeps nothing really cold. That didn't stop the hubby from buying milk and cereal for the kids and using it everyday. Nobody got sick.

The last important thing I will mention is that this resort has a laundry room for gues use! I loved that, since we wore our airplane clothes just about everyday we were there because it was so cold. The Marriott in Aruba does not have this, unless you are staying at their time share, and i think that stinks for a category 6 Marriott.

All in all, I would come here again, just not in March.

(-:

3  Thank missphilly
Reviewed March 8, 2010

With a group that spent 100K on rooms and affairs for weekend. Hotel Manager needed room for corporate guests on Monday so made up story to clear way for more rooms and cut our vacation short. More for large corporations and not families. But would not waste money on this big chain that does not cater to the individual.

• Stayed: March 2010
Marco Island Lakeside Inn
#6 of 12 in Marco Island
Marco Beach Ocean Resort
#2 of 12 in Marco Island

Been to JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!