“Pretty but Pricey - late check-out a hassle”

JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We just spent a few days at the Marriott on Marco. Here are some comments:

Beautifully landscaped property - very pretty

Impressive lobby and common areas

Wonderful concierge staff - very helpful

Shops in hotel close too early. They should be open in the evenings when people are looking for something to do after dinner.

Room was pretty standard - nothing special for $700/night - not a great value at all...
No turn-down service - no robes - water pressure in the shower was a trickle
Comfortable beds and linens
Had to call housekeeping three times to clean the bathroom - upon arrival we found very dirty/hairy/disgusting baseboards, corner of wall and floor in bathroom...obviously had not been cleaned in some time.

Good and timely room service

We found the food to be very tasty, but very pricey - don't know what the other reviewer said about frozen grouper - mine was fresh and delicious.

Lots and lots of kids! So it's great if you have them, not so great if you don't.

Beach is beautiful, but be prepared to pay for umbrellas and don't forget to tip!

Food/beverage service at beach was almost non-exisistent. We rarely saw them.

Facilities for people checking out late are terrible. They really do not accomodate thier clients well at all in this area. I have stayed in many resorts that have a special room just for clients who are checking out late and need to shower and get ready. The Marriott offers two showers near the pool - they are not equipped with shampoo, conditioner or lotion, nor do they supply hair dryers. There really is nowhere to actually change, dry hair, put make-up on, etc. The shower room was wet, and hot! We had to ask the front desk to hunt down a hair dryer for us. Right after we showered, we went to a common restroom in the hotel to fininsh getting ready for our trip back. Very frustrating experience.

Overall - Marriott is a name you can pretty much count on. The resort is pretty, but pricey. A few improvements could make the stay much more enjoyable.

Reviewed April 19, 2009

Stayed five nights at Easter Break with my wife and 8 year old daughter. I was expecting the hotel to be very busy, and it was, but I was not expecting the number of small children. In general, I prefer smaller properties, but this hotel suited our needs this year, so we gave it a try.

The hotel itself is well done, two large towers with two pools, great beach. We were upgraded to a gulf front room, which was larger than average, balcony overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. Room itself was well appointed, however, we did have to chase down housekeeping a couple of times for coffee, towels, etc. Turn down service was haphazard. I expect this was really due to the hotel being so full for the week.

I think the main attraction is the beach. Really fantastic. The beach area is huge, sand is powdery and soft except forth area close to the water where the shells take over, but that is fun too. Never any problem getting a chair at the beach, service there was great. Drink service was lacking. We just brought a small cooler down from the room.

The pools are also nice, usual chair issue, people reserve chairs and then don't use them or use them for a few minutes and leave for an hour. That just is the way it is at every large hotel, rude none the less.

We had dinner out every night, at at Cocomo's, Margarita's, Crazy Flamingo, Snook Inn, Guy Harvey's, and DaVinci's. Of those, I would choose Guy Harvey's and DaVinci's as my favorites. The others are really casual. Margarita's was good though also.

Also give good grade for the Fitness Center, larger than most that are located in a hotel. Never had to worry about getting on a piece of equipment.

We used the self parking for $12.00 per night, easy to use, right across the street. Not sure if the extra cost for valet is worth it.

All in all, a nice place, just too big for my taste.

Reviewed April 17, 2009

We stayed at the M.I. Marriott 4/11 to 4/15 during the Easter spring break. While it was crowded as expected, it was not overwhelmingly so. The hotel is great for families. The rooms are a good size and we had lots of room. We had five in our party with kids 15, 11, and 3. They all had a great time and wanted to stay longer. The place was kept meticulously clean, especially considering the number of guests. Someone was always cleaning something, somewhere. Housekeeping was great. The lounge chairs by the pool were scarce, but you could get at least one or two on most days without coming down at 7am. The valet service was very efficient. The hotel staff were pleasant and polite. There were lots of activities to keep everyone busy. I agree with another poster that with the rates as high as they are, they should offer free internet but that's a minor issue. The food is a mixed review. The breakfast buffet at Tropiks is very good. Kurrents (the "nice" restaurant) is excellent and we are very picky "foodies". Skip the other on site eateries or order knowing that the food will be mediocre at best and very expensive. The beach is beautiful, lots of shells, so wear sandals. The pool is great and the kids loved the slide. The vibe is very relaxing and laid back, but lots of activities if you want a little more excitement. No big chain restaurants here, so you have to eat onsite at the hotel or try a local eatery or go to Naples which is more commercial. Overall It's very pricey, but if you expect it, then you won't be surprised by the cost and you can relax and enjoy. The hotel was full of kids, but it's not a couples resort so that was not a surprise. We would definitely go back to this resort. Great family vacation overall.

Reviewed April 15, 2009

Let me start by saying that I did not book this trip. I went on this trip as a nanny to a family of five, with the mother expecting another baby in July.

First off, the place was PACKED. I understand that it was Easter weekend, but you waited for elevators because they were full, had to go down to the pool at 8 am to get a chair and the entire resort (it is HUGE,) was SWARMING with kids. I know, I know, its a family resort. But the pool was filthy. It was constantly full of napkins floating around, empty cups all over the edges, hair clumps, and just hordes of people swimming in it. I suppose this is inevitable when there's nine BILLION people at the the hotel, but when I saw our bill, for SIX THOUSAND dollars, I feel like the least that could be done would be to provide a little intimacy.

Also, the prices...were laughably exorbitant. I couldn't believe them when I saw them. For a CUP of Special K (like the kind you buy at a gas station for a dollar,) was $5.75!!!!! FIVE SEVENTY FIVE!!! A CAN of MILLER LIGHT was ALSO 5.75!!!

I know there is a certain margin of wealth that this hotel caters to. The family I work for is wealthy, and it seemed like most of the other people there were too (seeing as how they were all willing to dish out 20 bucks for an individual pan pizza,) but it was just totally outrageous to me. I'm not a cheapskate by any means, I was completely shocked at what this hotel was charging for mediocre AT BEST service/food/product and experience.

I also had a massage and a pedicure that were...fine. Not 120$ fine though.

All that being said, the ocean was gorgeous. But it was probably gorgeous a few miles down, where the white sand wasn't being imported at night, and you didn't have to pay 18$ an hour for a beach umbrella.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
7  Thank pomdecouer
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Me, wife and 3 kids...ages 11,8,and 5 stayed M.I. Marriott Beach Resort 3/29 though 4/2. This Marriott bills itself as a Resort and I will tell you that it definitely IS a RESORT...both in amenities and price. First off, we checked in at about 11 am and our room was ready. check in was speedy and pleasant. The lobby of the hotel is spacious and clean. The grounds are meticulously manicured. From the grass to the trees everything appeared perfect. Even the bach was combed each morning giving the sand a soft, smoothe texture. Our room was next to a Gulf Front room on the second floor in the North Tower...I think this is called the Island Tower. We did not hear or see construction during our visit but it is possble that it was going on as we were at the beach or pools most of the time. Our room was nice. On a scale of 1-10 I would say 7-8. We had a flat screen HDTV...maybe 37". Two double beds and a roll away and we still had enough room to move around. Bathroom was spacious and cleaned nicely each day. I would have to say that our room had been renovated based on other comments but there were some water stains on the wall paper that appeared to come from the AC vent. BTW, the AC was perfect and easy to use. We also had a problem with the safe, the toilet, and the room phone. All of the problems were attended to quickly by friendly staff.

The pools are perfect for families. One pool is set up for kids with a slide and the other is more of an adult pool. However kids are welcome at both. "Saving chairs" was a problem but we always managed to find a place to sit....usually not eaxctly where we wanted but close. I have seen this at many resorts but for some reason it was a little worse here that anywhere else I have been. It should be noted that the resort was very crowded with Spring Break families. Chairs at the beach are complimentary and they will set them up for you. Umbrella's were $18 per day and palapas were a little more. We opted for an umbrella oneday simply because they could put the umbrella closer to the water. The beach is a great shell beach. The water is somewhat calm and cool....good for families!

We ate at every restaurant on the property. Quinn's was good, 400 Pazzi was a little better, Kurrents was OK but pricey. The best was Tropics breakfast buffet. This is one of the best buffets I have ever had. Everything was fresh and cooked to order. The choices are plentiful and the entire family can get what they need without having to split up. We did not drink a lot but we did notice that beer was $5.50 and some of the maragarita/mixwed drinks were listed as high as $11 each!

In closing I should mention that we stayed using Marriott Points. MANY other people we talked to were doing the same thing. some others were part of a convention. Our room rate would have been $650 per night. The convention rate was $259 per night. I would definitely pay $259 per night but not $650. Marco Island is a great place to visit. We noticed that there are many condos available for rent. This, coupled with ample places to shop for food on the Island, may make a Condo more attractive than the Marriott for the price.

For the price and the minor issues we had with the room I rated this place 4 out of 5. Even for the price, had we not had issues with the room I would have given it a 5. Howevr, if you ask me if you should go...I would say 100% YES!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank cliff1788
Reviewed April 2, 2009

For the purposes of full disclosure, I would like to state first off that I am a very fussy traveler. Things that I find annoying or unpleasant would probably not bother the typical traveler. That said, there were very few things I could find to complain about at the Marriott Marco Island Resort. I stayed for six nights with my husband and three boys (2 15-year-olds and an 11-year-old). I used points for the stay, including a forced upgrade to a tropical view room. Upon check-in (and request), we were further upgraded to a tropical/oceanview room. First of all, the place was spotless everywhere, which is very important to me. The room was a decent size, though a bit crowded when using a rollaway bed. The beds were very small (both double beds). I would have thought they'd be at least queen. The balcony was large and lit at night. Beautiful view and relaxing. Bathroom was large enough, but clean towels are hung over the toilet (pet peeve of mine). There weren't many good channels on the TV (although there were 14, yes count them, 14 sports channels. Hasn't the Marriott figured out by now that all of their guests AREN'T male???) As far as the room, the only complaint I have is that the evening room service only occurred twice in six nights. With five people in a room, including three kids, it's really helpful to have evening service, have the wastebaskets emptied, dirty towels collected, and room generally tidied-up. The room was amazingly quiet at night. Now for the amenities. The pools are awesome. Clean, warm, well-planned. They were crowded, but it was spring break. I would have liked to have seen Quinn's Pool designated for adults only. The tiki pool was closed for a couple hours one day (I think a child pooped in the pool), and Quinn's pool got really, really crowded and noisy at that point. There really was no escaping the throngs of children if one wanted peace and quiet. Unlike some of the other posts, I did see hotel employees removing towels from chairs that appeared to have been "saved" for far too long. You do need get to the pool at least by 10:00 am to get a decent chair, especially if you want shade, but you have to stay there and actually use the chairs, which I would think you'd want to, anyway. If you rent a tiki hut on the beach, I recommend the ones in the middle of the row, because they have the most consistent shade. The beach was LOADED with seashells...not sure why....but it wasn't real pleasant for walking until a few days into the stay. The restaurants are way overpriced, and the food is not very good, in my opinion. We ate breakfast and lunch in the cafe most days as it was the most reasonable and consistent (bagel and coffee for breakfast, salads for lunch), and then we made the long drive to Naples every night for dinner (there's every chain restaurant there imaginable).
The service at the hotel overall was great. Every time I called for something, it was brought or rectified immediately. The hotel itself is just beautiful, the landscaping is amazing, and overall, I was very satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2009

My wife and I checked in on a Friday afternoon to spend a night and play some golf. The first thing you notice about the hotel is you feel like you are checking into a convention hotel--this place is huge. The next thing you notice is it caters to kids and families. We were hoping for a more intimate hotel and were really disappointed.

On the positives:
1. Incredible beach
2. Nice (not great) rooms with so/so showers and partial views
3. Clean
4. Golf course at Rookery is very good

Now the negatives:
1. Being woken up at 6 AM on a Saturday due to a screaming baby next door for 20 minutes.
2. Kids running up and down the hallways at 7 AM screaming their heads off like it is a playground.
3. Expensive drinks at the beach lounge (no Happy Hour??) and serving them in cheap plastic cups. How do you drink a Martini watching the sunset in a thick plastic glass?
4. Their best restaurant (Kurrents) food was only ok.
5. The golf course is 10 miles away and with beach traffic can take quite a time to get through.
6. Spending $700 for a room and still charging for internet--come on!

Overall we are impressed with Marco Island and would go back--just not back to this hotel. Skip unless you got 4 kids and need a kid hangout hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Edgewater Beach Hotel
#11 of 59 in Naples
Marco Beach Ocean Resort
#2 of 12 in Marco Island

Been to JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!