“Hope to return”

JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 12, 2008

This is a luxury resort. The property is well maintained with excellent facilities. There are two large pools, one more appealing to young children , and they are kept very well heated, important in the winter months.
Our room was in the Island Tower, formerly known as the South Tower, with a spledid view of Quinn's Pool and the South Beach. It was bright and well furnished,and from our spacious balcony we could see the sun rise, and see it set. We thought the small refrigerator, in addition to the mini-bar was a thoughtful and convenient addition.
We found the staff to be friendly and extremely helpful. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble. When we encountered a problem with the air conditioning, it was dealt with promptly and we were assured that we should call again,whatever the time, if we had another problem as they ran a 24 hour service. The concierge service was amazing. These ladies seem to know everything there is to know about the isalnd and surrounding area.
As if by magic, the day after Thanksgiving, the hotel was transformed by the Christmas decorations. A huge tree appeared in the atrium lobby, and smaller versions all over the public areas. They were spectacular.
There are several restaurants on the property, ranging from the upscale Kurrents, which is about as formal as you get anywhere on the island, to v. casual Quinn's and Pazzi's. We ate twice at Kurrents, and were impressed by the ambiance, the food and the service. Our only disappointment was that Tropics, the family restaurant was only open for breakfasts.
Other reviewers have mentioned the prices. Yes, food and drinks are on the expensive side, but the facilities this resort offers are second to none, and they have to be paid for somehow.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Clare1066
Write a ReviewReviews (3,956)

Reviewed November 22, 2008

The Great:
Beautiful pools and grounds
Tropiks restaurant breakfast buffet
Kurents Restaurant for Dinner
Outstanding and happy staff - Congrats to Marriott
Off lobby coffee shop
Free Refridge for use next to the Stocked Refridge
Quiet HVAC - Finally someone got it right!

The Good:
Room was nice, and clean
Good beds, now the Marriott standard
Decent TV

The okay:
Bath was refurbished, maybe too many times

The "needs improvement"
Quinn's Restaurant near the beach

Comments:
No nightlight. Note to all hotels. Have small lights built-in!
The auto-light upon entering lights up the front hall. But, it also lights up the bedroom in the middle of the night when sneaking off to the bathroom. That may not awaken the dead, but the "power flush" toilets certainly will. Those are best used for pubic restrooms, not hotels.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Tommmmmmmm
Reviewed November 18, 2008

I am only home 6 hours and I already wish I was back there. It was beautiful and very clean, the staff was very friendly and the litlle treats they do like frozen grapes by the pool on a very hot day, or the cold wash clothes they hand out to cool you off. Nice touch. Like the other reviews say this was not cheap, food and drinks were very pricey if you go to 400 Pazzi and for $6.95 pay one price you can get free refills on soda and ice tea for your whole stay, that worked for me my husband went for the $10.95 bloody Mary.etc.
Marriott did a great job with the renovation the rooms were very nice housekeeping came in twice a day.
The sunsets were beautifull the beach was great. and I cant wait to go back. We went to celebrate our 5 year anniversary and the staff sent us a bottle of champaign to our room.
I would recomend a ride to Naples we had dinner on 5th ave also a great way to spend an evening
This was a very enjoyable vacation.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2008

I stayed here with my children (8 & 6) for 4 nights, Tues - Sat. When I called to reserve our room, the reservationist informed me that a large convention was taking place during our stay & there were no rooms available on Thursday. I could always hope for a cancellation, so I went ahead and booked the trip. As it turned out, a room never opened up, so we had to check out Thursday morning - stay somewhere else for one night - and then check back in again Friday morning. It was a hassle to pack everything up and leave only to come back the next day, but the front desk staff was very nice and upgraded us to a gorgeous oceanfront room for our last night. That gesture was appreciated very much. The view of the ocean was nothing short of spectacular and we felt as if we were right on the beach without ever leaving our room!

This hotel has had a major renovation since our last visit here which was in April. The grounds are immaculate, the pools are beautiful with heated water so you don't freeze, and one pool has a waterslide and waterfall which my kids thoroughly enjoyed. When you decide it's time for the beach, the walk to the ocean takes a mere 2 minutes. We walked from the ocean to the beach several times a day. That is the luxury of staying in an oceanfront resort.

We took the Shelling & Saling excursion which leaves right from the hotel. The ride in the catamaran was truly beautiful & very relaxing. We saw a few dolphins along the way, but not many. My children & I collected tons of shells. Not just ordinary shells, but beautiful small conch shells by the dozens. I would definitelt recommend this trip...not just if you have children, but for adults as well.

The rooms were clean, very spacious & very comfortable. The beds were comfortable and had down comforters. The bathrooms were very spacious as well with tile floors and marble vanities.

There was a restaurant right smack on the beach called Quinn's. The food was very overpriced and just mediocre. It was a very relaxing atmosphere with a gorgeous view of the beach.

Tropiks had a wonderful breakfast buffet with every kind of food you could imagine, all of which was very good. The fresh fruit was plentiful and they offered you a great selection of breakfast foods, including made-to-order omelets. The waitress didn't charge me for my 5 yr. old since he only ate a bite of eggs and some bacon.

400 Pazzi is a cafteria-style quick service type of restaurant on the beach. My kids and I ordered a small pizza just for a snack. The bill came to $11.95 and we each had one small slice of pizza. Complete rip-off.......

You are given a choice of self-parking (across the street) for $12 per day, or valet parking for $20. I chose to valet since I was traveling alone with my 2 kids. Well worth the extra $8 per day and they were very quick getting your car out for you.

Three things that annoyed me the most during our stay:

1. There is no complimentary Internet service. I have stayed at other resorts (5 star) that offer this service for free. On our last day, I needed to look up my Southwest Airlines confirmation # in order to print our boarding passes. I asked the concierge if she could do it for me. She said I needed to go to the business center to use the Internet. Well, the business center was going to charge me $9.00 just to look up my confirmation #. The concierge was no help at all. I ended up just calling Southwest from my cell phone and retrieving my conf. #. I was hoping the hotel could have been more helpful with this.

2. We rented a Chickee hut on the beach for 3 days. Each day was $35 plus tax. You get a bucket of ice with 4 bottled waters. When I asked for one more, they charged $2.65 to my room. Very petty.

3. We ordered frozen drinks from our Chickee Hut. A waiter came by on his golf cart, took our order, then came back with our drinks. I ordered a non-alcoholic Pina Colada for my 8-year old and a regular one for myself. When he delivered our drinks to us, he had no idea which one had the alcohol. I think he should have paid more attention when delivering our drink and not make me guess which one had alcohol. They ended up tasting the same & I could not tell the difference. My daughter did not end up getting any alcohol thank goodness, no thanks to our waiter.

Aside from these issues & the ridiculous food prices (and I am not very frugal), I would absolutely stay here again!! It is a GORGEOUS hotel with great service and you feel as if you are in paradise!

• Stayed: November 2008
3  Thank sherinongratis
Reviewed November 8, 2008

This was a great place to relax. The room was wonderful with a great view of the beach (we stayed in 226 and 666). This was a corner room so the view was out 2 sides of the 4 walls. (we had 2 rooms because the 2nd to last night we had new neighbors move in with a very loud child, who didn't know how to use "inside voice", so we spoke with the front desk and they gladly moved us to an equally as nice room.) The restaurants on site were great (my husband like the macadamian nut encrusted mahi mahi). They seemed pricey but we did go off the resort and found our bills remarkebly similar. Couple downfalls 1) they charge you $6 a day for room cleaning 2) you have to pay for an umbrella or chickee hut on the beach. This was a great place to stay in order to explore the Everglades. Overall I would recommend it to others and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank michaelandtracey
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We had stayed on beautiful Marco Island a couple of times before on our annual vacation in Florida, but this time we chose the Marriott since I had always liked the look of it.

We were not disappointed - it was everything we had hoped for, if not more.

We travelled over from the UK, flying into Miami and stayed at the Marriott for 5 nights, before we spent another 8 nights in Orlando, then our last week back down the beach in a condo at Fort Myers Beach.

The Marriott was the perfect way to wind down at the start of our vacation. From arriving, checkin was immediate and with the minimum of hassle. To be honest, I'd gotten the room at such a good rate that I feared we would be stuck in a room at the back overlooking the carpark. I am a Marriott Rewards member and had requested on my reservation that we would appreciate, if possible, a room with a little bit of a view. Our view was just fanastic - overlooking the Tiki Pool with its lovely waterfall, with the beach in front.

I just loved sitting out on the balcony first thing in the morning with my coffee while the rest of the family snoozed. We all also enjoyed sitting on the balcony in the evenings with a drink watching either the sun going down or just sitting enjoying!

The staff were ALL so friendly and helpful.

Quinns on the beach was our first introduction - we drove up from Miami airport via the Tamiami Trail - having spent a fair bit of time around the area on previous vacations, we still didn't lose the buzz of watching for gators, even no matter how tired we were after a 9.5 hour flight; a great start to our latest Florida adventure,
We only had burgers, but boy were they good - especially with a cocktail! Yes, it's not so cheap, but you're on vacation.

There were a lot of convention people around the hotel when we were there - well, lucky them! We arrived on a Saturday and the hotel was very busy with families, but after the weekend it quietened down and sometimes it felt like we had the pool and beach to ourselves.

The room was lovely - a good size, comfortable beds, housekeeping were excellent.

Eats: We had snacks/pastries from the shop in the hotel, very nice. Quinns was good. We had breakfast buffet on the Sunday - very nice, very expensive, but set us up for the day.

Spa: treat yourself to a massage - we all had one together and it was just a lovely morning.

Local eats: Porky's Last Stand is a real favourite with us over the years. It didn't disappoint. In fact, our friends who stayed the rest of our holiday after Marco came to eat there when we were staying at Fort Myers Beach!

We took the special summer offer - $35 a day which covered an umbrella and chairs for the beach, two refillable mugs for sodas etc, free valet parking (self-parking is $12 per day). It all added to the cost, but we were happy to pay this for the facilities.

All in all, an excellent stay - we're already looking at a return visit next August.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank d_osborne172
Reviewed October 25, 2008

I just wanted to let everyone know to check their bills carefully. They recently added a service charge of over $6 per day to cover housekeeping and other services normally included in your room rate to some bills.

They don't disclose this charge when you register and refuse to remove it. It appears they did not learn from the Florida Attorney General's settlement in 2005 over their other fraud charges.

Marriott also refused to correct the issue. It is a shame that Marriott does not care and this makes me cautious of staying at their other properties as well. Keep your confirmation as you may need it to dispute the fraud charges with your credit card issuer.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Edgewater Beach Hotel
#11 of 59 in Naples
Marco Beach Ocean Resort
#2 of 12 in Marco Island

Been to JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!