“Impressive Marriott”

JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Marco Island Property in early October for 3 nights for Anniversary. My wife is Gold member so upgraded to Ocean Front room right away. Room was spacious and comfortable. Traveling with our 2 year old son and crib was provided. Pools are great, especially the kids area and slide. The beach is beautiful and huge. Water is calm and shallow at low tide. We Ate at Quinn's and Tropics for breakfast buffet. Both excellent. Drinks are pricey but expected that. Service was also excellent.
We ate off property a couple of times, best restaurant by far is Fin Bistro! If you go on a busy weekend make sure you reserve a beach hut early if you want one. Nicest Marriott Resort in Florida in my opinion. Would definitely go back! Cheers

Stayed: October 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (3,958)

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed here for about 5 days and had a wonderful time. The Marriott staff treated us like royalty. They were wonderful! The room was very spacious and the beds were very comfortable. Best part of all was the location. We enjoyed beautiful sunsets every evening. It was a pleasure to walk on the beach and enjoy all the features of the resort.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed at this property for a 3 day work conference. I enjoyed my visit and the entire experience fully met my expectations.

The hotel room was very clean, bedding and towels were crisp, and the cleaning staff cleaned my room very early each day. The staff was very accommodating and everyone went above and beyond (from the wait staff at the breakfast restaurant, the lady at the concierge desk, and the greeters in the lobby). I ate at all of the restaurants while I was there and enjoyed them all (even room service). Most surprisingly, I had an excellent view of the beach, pool, and patio area from my room’s balcony. I did not expect this (especially considering that I was not in a beach front room). The view of the sunset from my balcony was definitely one of the highlights.

Also, the room was quite spacious and it didn’t lack anything that I would have needed during my stay. This hotel seems very family friendly (based on the beach access and all of the activities available beach front and pool side). Overall, I’d rate this property as more “comfortable and modern” than “plush and/or luxury”. I’d definitely stay here again and would recommend this location to others.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had never been to the West Coast of FL and we were thrilled to be invited to a conference at the Marco Island Marriott. It is a beautiful spot on a perfect 3 1/2 mile, white sand beach. The location exudes calm and relaxation. Plus, there are lots of fun activities available in the area if relaxing on the beach is not all you want to do. It seemed like a wonderful place for families.

I will start by complimenting the wonderful staff at this resort. Every encounter, even with the landscapers, was with warmth and a smile. We believe each person we met sincerely wanted to help us and make our stay a good one. The staffing of the conference seemed professional and efficient.

But, although the wing we were in had recently been remodeled, the general feeling that this is an mid-grade property remains. The property and landscaping are well maintained but you can see where they chose to cut the construction costs and overhead. Marble accents......not marble floors, for ex. The lobby and hallways were contemporary but again, just shy of luxury.

Our oceanfront room was quite large and very clean. It was freshly painted and newly remodeled. But, it was strangely arranged and starkly decorated with mid-grade furniture. The bathroom had cheaper fixtures and it was here that it was obvious that it was a refurbishment of an 80's hotel......not a complete remodel. Odd, empty spaces. No door to block the light if someone was still sleeping. Bright light spilled through the ill-fitting door to the room from the hallway. The bed was quite hard and the linens and towels were old and rough.

The worst part was the old, clanking air-conditioner and noisy pipes from other rooms or floors! We unfortunately chose to sleep with the window open rather than have the air running. That worked ok for the time we visited but I can imagine there are many seasons that would not be feasible in South FL.

Although I understand this is not a Ritz Carlton or even a JW, I had expected more based on the photos and reviews here on TA. The price-point is right for what they offer and we did have a lovely time. Just be aware of what you are getting.

1  Thank Msk6261
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I travel to southwest Florida quite a bit for work conferences and the Marco Island Marriott is easily my favorite. The beach is white sand and beautiful. The food is excellent, especially at Kurrents. And the service is always great - a special thanks goes out to Allison at the front desk. Thanks Marriott for making business travel fun!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Spa was wonderful. My massage was unforgettable. The hotel décor was gorgeous, the hotel food was fair but lacked luster. The view from the hotel restaurant was priceless. Get to the pool earlier seats run out fast. The grounds we well kept, and restaurants and shopping are directly across the street, while the beach was just a few steps away from my hotel door. Had the best morning jogs on the beach, and the sunrise and sunset were unbelievable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2013

MARCO ISLAND. THE MARRIOTT RESORT AND SPA

This is a beautifully situated, well-kept property that feels brand new even though it's not. That's because tons of money's been spent on renovation, and the investment shows.

This Marriott is big--over 700 rooms.

Pluses.
Friendly, caring service. The staff seems genuinely happy to be working here. A bellman explained, "How can you not be happy in paradise?"

Well thought out. For example, the elevator gives you a choice of exiting to the lobby or going down one floor for direct access to the pool and the gorgeous white-sand beach. It's a nice touch.

Lots of TV channels. When I'm in my room I want choices.

It feels comfortable. And romantic. Lots of couples holding hands.

Plus and Minus
The main restaurant---Currents---is a plus and a small minus. The service is excellent and the cuisine is very good. Perhaps management wants it to feel relaxed, but Currents feels more like a large, up-scale coffee shop than a fine-dining restaurant.

Tips
I like the Fort Meyers airport. You're in and out in no-time. You walk across the street to your rental car. No schlepping in a bus to a rental car lot. And you're just minutes away from 75 South. Once you're on 75, you're an easy one-hour drive to the resort.

Be careful when you return. The signage reads "Southwest Florida International Airport," not Fort Meyers. Don't overshoot your exit.

Two people in my party booked a fishing trip across the causeway from the resort. They loved the route through the mangrove swamps. And they caught some big fish. Their word for the experience: "awesome."

Two people played golf. Even in October they called the experience "sweaty."
Southwest Florida is humid.

Taxis are a very good deal. One -way fare on the island is $6 and some restaurants even pay the fare. Just ask at the bell stand whether you pay $6 or nothing.

To sum up, I would cheerfully return.

• Stayed: October 2013
Edgewater Beach Hotel
#11 of 59 in Naples
Marco Beach Ocean Resort
#2 of 12 in Marco Island

Been to JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!