“Great hotel on the beach”

Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Marco Island
GreenLeadersBronze level
Winchester, Illinois
“Great hotel on the beach”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed 10 nights at this hotel with my wife and 16-year old. We were very impressed. We had a "deluxe" gulf view room on the 5th floor. Room was modern and very comfortable. Hotel is located right on the beach and there are plenty of shopping/eating establishments right across from the hotel. Staff was the friendliest of any Hilton we have ever stayed at. They do charge $10 a day for self-parking and $14 for valet parking. There is also a $18 charge for renting an umbrella for the day on the beach. The guys that work at the beach were always nice and provided us with a great location on the beach. The Paradise Café, one of their on-site restaurants, has a breakfast buffet every morning. Next time we go to Marco Island, we will be staying at this hotel!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
Schererville, Indiana, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is an excellent hotel and I would recommend it to anyone going to Marco Island. It's beautiful, great service and the view if breath taking. The pool is great. The staff is friendly and the beds are comfortable. I loved it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Margaret S
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed a few nights. Standard Hilton experience for a beachfront hotel. Everybody is friendly, plenty of towels and washcloths ready to go at the end of the day. The only negative is the size of the Queen Beds... they are not Queen, they a Full size, which for two adults can be a bit of a a problem. Other then that, great place and we would go back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BusTravelerWisconsin
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This Hilton is the best beachfront Hilton I have ever stayed in! Marco Island itself is amazing but I feel the biggest reason why I felt this way is due to my experience here at the Hilton Marco Island. Great Service. Staff was amazing. From the front desk to the beach boys. Everyone was very helpful. They put us in a junior suite with a ocean view which was awesome. The hotel was under rennovation and you couldn't even tell. The pool and beach were awesome too!

Room Tip: Great Beach Stay. Try to book a room with a balcony with an ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alexander B
RizwanAnsari1, Manager at Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to review our resort. We are glad to hear that you had a great trip with us. Hope to see you in the near future.

Kind Regards
Rizwan Ansari
Washington DC
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Kudos to the Hilton Marco Island. Great location right on the beach, and even more terrific staff who work here. Rooms are large and very clean, and despite what other reviewers say, the beds are very comfortable. Best grouper sandwich we’ve ever had at the bar pool side, but skip the nightly buffets at the Paradise Cafe, you’ll be very disappointed. Take a short stroll next door on the beach to Stilts, which is tasty, very casual, and has terrific views of the sunset. We’re eager to see what this “remodel” will do to an already great Hilton right on the beach. Like other reviewers, the chairs are free, but make sure to bring your own beach umbrella, the $18 is a bit steep.

Room Tip: Spring for the "Deluxe Gulf View," you won't be dissapointed.
1 Thank DC_Ryan
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I'm a confessed hotel snob - I spend literally hours pouring over websites, forums, and even emailing concierges on occasion to get my questions answered. If I'm going on vacation I want to make sure I enjoy it! I had high hopes for this Hilton as it was just remodeled last fall and I'm pleased to say my expectations were met. I'll try to address the specfic questions I had prior to the trip and especially those I had trouble finding an answer to.

The hotel itself is great. The entire island looks as if it was built up in the late 70s-80s, but the Hilton bucks that look, thankfully. The hotel has a very peaceful and even elegant feel. The pool is a typical hotel pool - even in their "off" season there were quite a few people at the pool, kids playing and such, but that is to be expected. The layout of the pool allows for plenty of seating away from the pool itself if you want to avoid some of the noise and splashing. The pool chairs are very comfortable. It's not a huge pool, and the pool area does still have a bit of that dated look, but not too badly. The pool size is adequate for the size of the hotel.

We reserved an Ocean-Front one bedroom suite. This was where I had several questions. Basically we had two separate rooms; a bedroom and a sitting/living room. The only thing that made it ocean front is a very small balcony that opened off of the bedroom. On this balcony there was only enough room for two people to stand together so it was useless for sitting with a direct ocean front view. However, it does ensure that your room is the closest facing the ocean and since there is another very large balcony it still allowed a spectacular view of the ocean with plenty of space for at least 3-4 people to sit with two small tables as well. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony every morning and evening. (As far as information on the other rooms this is what I observed. Most of the rooms appear to be the junior suites. They all have balconies. If you opt for "southerly facing" you will be facing the quite dated, uglier view of the tennis courts and another hotel. You can still see the ocean but will be facing away from the pool area and away from the sunsets. If you opt for "pool view" you will have a room over the pool area facing the sunsets. As best I could tell garden view rooms are further back on the building, some facing the pool side and some facing the tennis courts. There are "ocean front" one bedroom suites, which is what we had, and "ocean view" one bedroom suites. Those appeared to be about halfway back on the building, overlooking the pool area. Still plenty close to afford a nice view of the beach. All room choices that advertise 1.5 baths will be facing the tennis courts. I hope this info helps someone as I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out.)

The beach was beautiful. We are from TN and typically go to the Destin area which is known for it's beautiful, soft, white sand. The Marco beach is very, very shelly. It's possible to walk on it barefoot, but you will go much slower. This isn't better or worse than Destin, just different. It was fun to collect the shells. While the Hilton does provide beach chairs, they are SO old. This is where the Hilton really needs to step it up and the reason for my 4 star rating as opposed to 5 star. They are old plastic lounge chairs with no cushion. The kind with sagging slats! If I'm paying for a nice beach trip and forking out the money for the Hilton, and especially for an umbrella (you WILL want one on the beach; the sun is intense and hot) than I expect a nice beach chair. My husband and I planned at least two days of lying on the beach just reading and relaxing and I am still sore from so much time on that lounge chair. I am not kidding when I say the quality of these chairs does NOT match the quality of the hotel. The Hilton really needs to do something about this. Marco Island Water Sports hut handles the placing of the beach chairs. They put them WAY too close together, in my opinion. Even on days when we tried to go out early to request the chairs on either end (to avoid being so crowded) they were already reserved (though no chairs had been placed yet and that's how you really can tell what's still available) so other people must have this same idea. Up to four chairs can be placed under an umbrella and that can make it super crowded. (Four chairs from the same room/party, you won't be sharing an umbrella with strangers.) I think next time we will do as others suggest and buy our own umbrella. The guys at the hut were drilling umbrella holes for lots of people that had their own, so this doesn't seem like it would be a problem. Regardless, the point is that Hilton really should invest in some new beach loungers. The ones at the pool are very nice and comfortable but the beach chairs appear to be 20 years old! We walked down the beach several times and it appears that the Marco Beach Ocean Resort and the Marriott have much nicer chairs - at least one place had cushioned loungers. Come on, Hilton!

It did rain almost every afternoon and evening. Kind of disappointing, but it's more of a tropical location, so not much you can do about it. This was in June. I had hoped it would be a quick afternoon shower, but once it started it did last several hours.

We did not eat at the pool - it is ridiculously overpriced. While writing my review it is occurring to me that while this is a great place for couples and probably even familes with 1-2 kids, it would be harder to manage with a larger family. We have 8 children (we were alone as it was an anniversary trip) and since only a small fridge is provided in the rooms we would have probably spent a TON of money on food. As it was, the fridge was plenty big enough for a gallon of milk and some lunch supplies, so my husband and I just went back to the room every day for lunch saving us lots of money. We also had breakfast supplies. You can get a microwave for $20 a day if you want. The last evening we had dinner at the Paradise Cafe. While the screened in deck was nice and elegant giving a great view of the sunset while keeping you cool, the food was NOT good. I had the New York Strip it was very disappointing. It was cooked medium to my liking, but it was still tough and tasteless which implies an inferior cut of meat since it wasn't overcooked. I wish servers were more attentive to this sort of thing, asking about it would have gone a long way toward making up for a wasted $30 meal. My husband did enjoy his burger, but it's hard to go wrong on burgers. In the future I would probably return just because it is a very nice place to eat, convenient, with a great atmosphere and view, and not overpriced compared to dinner prices on the rest of the island. As a side note, we had a hard time finding places to eat for dinner - which we did eat out every night. Two restaurants we attempted to go to were actually closed - they are only open during the "in season" which apparently is approximately October-May/early June. So basically closed for the summer. We did eat at Snook's, which was okay, and we also ate at the eat-in movie theatre. That was a fun experience, but the food was bland and overpriced.

Marco Island Watersports is right in front of the Hilton advertising water sports. I don't like to support places that try to have a monopoly on things. :) We walked about 8 buildings north and used Regency Watersports for parasailing trip as well as a wave runner tour of the 10,000 islands. I highly recommend the wave runner tour as opposed to just renting one. The tour was amazing and we still got to go fast and have fun.

I didn't opt to use the spa as we wanted to spend our money on water sports and we have plenty of nice spas at home.

All in all it was a great trip and the Hilton was a very nice, relaxing, clean, and upscale place to stay. I would definitely stay there again. If they don't upgrade those beach chairs though we'll be buying nice chairs and an umbrella and bringing our own.

Room Tip: We reserved an Ocean-Front one bedroom suite. We were on the fifth floor. I would not want a room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank motheringingrace
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 30, 2013

It is hard to beat the location at the end of Marco Island with miles of beaches in either direction. The staff here was one of the better ones that I have encountered. Very friendly and proactively helpful (special mention to Miriam @ breakfast, Teagan @ front desk and Jeff the Bellman). It is also nice to have shopping and so many restaurants so close the the hotel.

I mention that it is a not a resort because it does not have the usual amenities and activities that one would expect at a true resort. The hotel has meeting rooms but not activity areas which are handy when the Florida rains start. It was very difficult to play tennis due to maintenance activities around the court for a few days. Overall, a very nice low-key family vacation.

TIP: Do not rent tennis balls for $5/day. You can buy 2 cans from Publix for $6.

3 Thank CuriousTravelerRadio
Hyatt House Naples
Hyatt House Naples
#5 of 59 in Naples
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,004 reviews

Been to Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!