“Crazy Crowded but Delicious”

Davide Italian Cafe & Deli
Ranked #43 of 119 Restaurants in Marco Island
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: You can find good reviews and thei menu on Urban Spoon
Toronto, Canada
“Crazy Crowded but Delicious”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We had one eat-in dinner here and one take-out. We ate on the patio and had a wonderful dinner, everything was really good, with plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day. We had salads, chicken and pasta dishes. The service was friendly and fun. There seemed to be a lot of regulars dining there. The next time we tried to eat there the tourist crush had descended so we did take-out, stuck mostly to pizza and salads and one lasagna. Although the place was a mad house (as was every resto in Marco this week between Christmas and New Year's), they got our order right, everything was great, and again, plenty left over for lunch tomorrow!

• Visited December 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“HORRIBLE service”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I went here with my family to have a nice dinner, to catch up on what was going on with one and other and just have a good time. That was sadly FAR from what happened. The waiter there was the rudest most annoying idiot who was trying to be all buddy-buddy with us, when we were obviously just trying to have a serious family discussion. He came out time and time again after we had taken our orders just to tell us the food would only take a little bit longer. That was not the case. We spent a total of 2 1/2 HOURS at this place, the majority of which, was waiting for our 2 pizzas. Just 2. The waiter was what bothered me the most, trying to talk in a horrible fake Italian accent and have the Italian type of hospitality and attitude. I have family from Italy and have been there almost a dozen times and he honestly couldn't have been more off, and flat out annoying. I have to say the pizza was great (when it finally came) but the whole experience was ruined past repair

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank nickii132
Chicago, Illinois
“HORRIBLE SERVICE can't make up for the good food”
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Had a reservation for a group of 8 and were seated on time. Impressive! Unfortunately, from there things rapidly deteriorated. Though everyone agreed that the food was great, it was completely overshadowed by some of the worst customer service I have seen in a a very long time.

Our waiter was over-friendly in the condescending manner people sometimes use with people in nursing homes. We were a group ranging in age from teens to 80s, and we all found him rather patronizing. We had been seated about 20 minutes when he came to take our meal orders. We all wanted pizzas, but were told only then that pizzas would take about an hour to prepare. That seemed odd, since this style of pizza takes less than 5 minutes to cook in a typical pizza oven. The waiter said that they had so much takeout/delivery business that it simply took that long to prepare pizzas for the restaurant customers. We were unhappy that we hadn't been warned about that when we were being seated, but at this point it was too late to try to go elsewhere. We decided to order salads and hope that the time would pass quickly. 30 minutes later, the salads still hadn't arrived. When we pointed that out to the waiter, he said "you're SERIOUS? You have to be joking, right?" (Again, strange, because there arent many tables in the restaurant. Any decent waiter would have been aware of this.) A few minutes later he came back to say that our salads were ALMOST ready. They finally arrived about the 40 minute mark. We asked for more bread to go with the salad and were given a basket with -- no kidding -- ONE slice of bread and some tapenade.

I have worked in many restaurants and know that it can be very challenging to juggle everything satisfactorily. I understand that there are some nights when everything seems to go wrong. However, I have learned that with a few sincere apologies and some proactive measures, it is possible to turn an unpleasant experience into a positive one. Clearly, nobody at this restaurant understands that concept. When I finally expressed displeasure at how things were going, the waiter first told me that HE was the manager. In a confrontational manner, he (1) denied that there was an unusual wait, (2) told me that he had warned us about the pizza delay and (3) didn't understand why we were unhappy that he only did so long after we had been seated and made menu selections. His strategy was to blame us for expecting too much. When his excuses didn't appease me he said that he would get Davide (who, I assume, is the actual manager). I stood at the bar and watched him have a 5 minute conversation with him, then waited another 5 minutes for Davide to ignore me and try to look like he was busy. When we finally spoke, I was surprised to find that he took the same "deny, deny, deny" approach as the waiter. When I pointed out that it shouldn't take 40 minutes to serve side salads, he asked me what I would have done when I worked in a restaurant. Answer: I would have made them myself if that was necessary. And I would have sincerely apologized and found a way to keep them happy.

Frankly, the restaurant could have turned things around by simply offering a round of their cheap house wine to the table while we waited for our food. That would cost them just a few dollars but earn back some goodwill. Not only did they not do that. . . they made no adjustment to the final bill. I quietly suggested to the waiter that they should consider doing so, given the number of gaffes that had occured. He seemed shocked by such a suggestion, but went inside to discuss it with Davide. He returned several minutes later and proclaimed to the table that he was making a 20% adjustment to the bill. And with a forlorn expression, he told us that it would probably come out of his own pocket . . . that he wasn't sure if he would be reimbursed for this valiant gesture of self-sacrifice. SERIOUSLY? I could not have dreamed up a more blatantly deceptive and manipulative tactic for trying-to-get-a-big-tip-after-doing-a-terrible-job!

Although the food at Davide was good, it was completely overshadowed by the appallingly poor conduct of both staff and management. What a shame. Until they recognize the need to overhaul both their procedures and their attitude toward their customers, I would steer clear of this restaurant.

1 Thank guppy4
New Jersey
“Very good Italian food. Homemade pasta!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Sat outside. Nice wine list for strip mall. Food was excellent! (coming from a Jersey boy). Pasta, clams, lasagna...and a bottle of Amarone...great service too!

Visited November 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Do not miss their pizza!”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We stopped by Davide on our first night in town, not knowing what to expect. What we found was an unassuming little Italian place with friendly and attentive staff in the middle of a dinner rush, excellent Caesar salad, and some of the best pizza I have ever had. We were savoring leftovers the next morning, wishing we could eat there very night for the remainder of our trip! This is definitely going on my list of places to visit again.

Visited December 2013