“It Is What It Is part II”
Review of Gino's Trattoria - CLOSED

Gino's Trattoria
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Whether it's an intimate dinner for two or a party for your large gathering, come visit us at Gino's Trattoria to satisfy your cravings. It may be home made Italian or hand tossed pizza our specialty is your satisfaction. We now offer a FULL BAR, with lots of space for large parties. Please come in and check us out. We'd love to see you!
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I reviewed Gino's about a year ago. I decided last night to try their new location and see if food has changed. Last time I reviewed I said that if you want a decent fairly inexpensive meal, Gino's wasn't bad. Nothing has changed.
The sautéed calamari in marinara was very good. Usually if they know how to cook calamari, good chance they can cook. Not the case here. Bread was not warmed in oven and seemed doughy. House salad 95 percent iceberg (yuk, not iceberg fan). I ordered eggplant rollatini with 1 sausage and 1 meatball on side. Eggplant rollatini was bad. Tasted like a bath mat rolled up with some cheese. One actually had very little ricotta inside. Sides came out barely warm. Sausage was ok tasting, wouldn't get meatball again. Pasta side was over cooked, not al dente, and I did not care sauce flavor, did not detect any garlic.
My companion had zuppa di pesce, thought it was good, but once again pasta was over cooked.
Pizza was good in old store, would assume same here.
Jesus, our server did a good job.
Not fine dining, and watch what you order.

ginosoldemarco, Owner at Gino's Trattoria, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your eggplant, but I am very happy to hear that Jesus took good care of you and that you enjoyed your appetizer. I do hope you will give us another try. Please do not hesitate you specify if you would like your pasta al dente. Our cooks will make sure to cook the pasta to your liking.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

As others have written, Gino's relocated from its former funky, tight location to a quite-sizable inside site only reachable from the courtyard of an office building at the corner of Bald Eagle & Collier. Cruise through the BofA drive-through off Bald Eagle, hang an immediate right, and walk into the courtyard to find Gino's.

Our party of four was immediately seated (w/ rsvs) in a bright, cheerful room that only had 4 tables. The separate-but-open rooms give the new location an intimate feel, which is a pleasant change from the old location. Our entrees, fettuccine alfredo, veal parm, penne Bolognese & chicken parm, were tasty and well-portioned. The Bolognese sauce was just a bit skimpy, and the veal parm was slightly overcooked so as to be "crusty" at the edges (not our preferred preparation), but everything was well presented and thoroughly enjoyed.

Now, if our server would only learn NOT to refer to patrons as "Honey" all of the time...she did get a bit tiring after a while. You're not working in a diner, "Hon"!

Definitely worth a return visit.

1  Thank westlakeroad
ginosoldemarco, Owner at Gino's Trattoria, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Our new location is tricky to find. I'm so glad you were able to find us! I'm happy to hear your meals were very enjoyable. We will kindly remind our staff on how to refer to guests thank you for bring this to our attention. We hope to serve you again soon in the near future!

Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant recently relocated from a very small location to a much more spacious one. The negative is that the new location is kind of secluded. As far as the food it remains outstanding. The pizza is the best on the island. The only complaint I have is that this was the only place on the island that had a "frequent buyer" club. They had a card that allowed you to get a free pizza after you buy 10. Well the management apparently is trying to maximize profits by not offering this at the new location. I disagree. I feel that this gave customers an incentive to frequent the restaurant more often. I did. I know it's a small thing but I feel that when a restaurant moves the best thing it can do is keep EVERYTHING the same. In this case they are being "penny wise pound foolish". I will return only when I hear they have restored the "frequent buyer" club!

We have recently talked about ordering more pizza cards. . In our new computer system we had to figure out how to make the cards work with out any problem. Now that we have accomplished this we will be able to bring them back. We highly appreciate the locals repeat business and I am sorry that we gave you a different impression. I can assure you with in the next two weeks they will arrive! Please come back and give us another try.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We recently got a large take-out pizza from Gino's. I'm not a fan of thin crust but this crust was far from the "card board" variety; it was firm and flavorable. We had the five item "supreme" speciality pizza - enough for dinner and next day's lunch.
DH picked it up and said the restaurant was clean and workers pleasant.
We'd order from Gino's again - maybe another pizza or perhaps try some of their pasta.

Thank you for taking time and reviewing our restaurant! I'm so glad you enjoyed your pizza! I hope that we will see you again in the near future!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Place is located in small mall that looks like an office building from the outside, but was nice and pleasant inside. My wife really liked her chicken piccata, but I thought my chicken saltimbocca was just fair. Rolls seemed liked they were quickly re-heated in the oven and were too hard and crispy on the outside.

Thank you for taking time and reviewing us! We are aware of the house bread not being the best we felt it could be. This week we have changed the house bread and have got great feed back! I hope you will enjoy this bread more. We would love for you to come back and give us another try!