“AVOID AT ALL COST!”

Marco Island,Fl
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AVOID AT ALL COST!”
Reviewed September 24, 2009

I am a native Floridian, having grown up in Miami. I retired 7 years ago to Marco Island and live 3 blocks from Tigertail "beach". What a disaster! If you are looking for a hot expanse of greenish-gray ooze, bordering on a 3 foot deep semi-polluted lagoon, this is for you. Of course, you can get to the Gulf of Mexico two ways: 1) about a 1/2 mile walk around the lagoon,barren and hot; or 2), wade 100 yards thru the luke-warm, murky water to the dunes and then another 300 yards to the Gulf. There's a group called "Friends of Tigertail" who oppose the construction of a boardwalk to make the walk to the Gulf family-friendly. Tiger's Rear-End would be a better description.

1 Thank Syzygy98

Cape Coral
“Don't Go!”
Reviewed August 7, 2009

While vacationing at our vacation house in Cape Coral, we explore a different beach every visit. After hearing many nice things about Marco Island, we went online and found Tigertail Beach, which was displayed as the only public beach with amenities. The pictures were beautiful, what a farce! This is not a beach in the true sense of the word. It is a swamp. If you are looking for a nature preserve, this is for you. If you are looking for a beach, stay away! Our disappointment is beyond words. Heed our advice, don't go!

ThePrissyOne
“Disgusting with a Capital "D"”
Reviewed July 23, 2009

It was not even a consideration in our MINDS to cross that disgusting lagoon. Ick! After $8 to park and all that trekking, we found a dirty beach with murky water. Not our idea of paradise and we won't be back. Give me Key West with crystal clear, blue & green waters any day of the week. Not only would I not recommend this to a friend, I'd not recommend it to an enemy, either. Keep this beach and it's the last $8 you'll ever see from us.

Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“The worst part of Marco Island”
Reviewed July 18, 2009

My daughter and I recently went to Tigertail Beach????? If you want to call it that. When we got there we saw the mucky muddy mangrove pond that we were told by the County Park Attendant was fine to cross. A family with small children and my daughter and I started to take his direction and cross this body of disgusting green slime and it was GROSS. The attendant drove down to the edge with his 4 wheeler and loved the show,
all of us walking through this crap, with kids in tow and not knowing what we would step on next..It was the bigest joke I've ever seen in a county owned park.
You spend soo much money in Marco and you have to bear this shameful experience.
Never again for us, to say the least..We decided to take the long way back to the exit.
The REAL beach was not worth any effort it took. My feet will never be the same.
BUILD A WALK OVER BRIDGE.

Miami, FL
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Not an Ocean-Facing Beach”
Reviewed July 11, 2009

My wife and I went here with our 2-month old at sunset on July 10th. This beach could be very cool and interesting, but only if you don't mind getting dirty and bitten by bugs. It's the sort of place you go to see an abundance of wildlife. But it's not a very relaxing spot at sunset in the summertime because the noseeums and mosquitoes chase you the whole time. You can't sit on a blanket and watch the sunset. The beach faces a lagoon surrounded by a mangrove island. So you don't really see the ocean (or sunset!) We basically ran around like crazy, trying to avoid the bugs. But I'm not complaining - we saw thousands of crabs, some herons, lots of jumping fish, and other sea animals we couldn't identify. So, don't come to this beach expecting to swim and enjoy the ocean - come to see the wildlife. (Also, the playground looked pretty awesome, but our 2-month old is too small for it). Another plus - we had the place to ourselves.

1 Thank BrumbyGully