“Nice hotel if you are a smoker”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manalapan
Davie, Florida
“Nice hotel if you are a smoker”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

My family and I booked a last minute room in this hotel over Labor Day weekend. I have two young children. 7 and 3. The lobby is spectacular and the room was very comfortable with a balcony overlooking the pool. They offered a great rate for our stay. However, after we had settled in and enjoyed the pool, we came back to the pool for the evening and wanted to enjoy the night on the balcony. But when we opened the door to the balcony we were over come with cigarette
Smoke. I called the front desk and they said it was their policy to allow smoking on the balcony. They offered to move our room, however if you have ever travelled with small children you know that we do not travel lite and it would have taken a lot to pack back up to move to the other side of the hotel. Since it is there policy to allow smoking on the balcony they should not put the non smokers near the smokers. Additionally, the food and drink were very expensive. A glass of milk was $ 15.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker make sure you specify that you do not want to be located near smoking balcon...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jessica b
Michelle P, Manager at Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Jessica B.,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at Eau Palm Beach. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our guest rooms and have shared your concern about the smoking policy without leaders.

We do hope that you and your family will visit us again in the near future.

Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I recently stayed at Eua Palm Beach Resort for a quick 3 day get away. I booked my stay thru the hotel operator which proved to be much easier and chaper than booking online. On the website there were various rates and packages that were confusing. However, thru speaking to a live person, I was able to get a better rate, which included valet parking and breakfast daily!! So try to speak to an operator as when I asked about parking, she simply said I will throw that in the package for you.

The rooms are very nice and the property is well maintained. Unfortunately there is not much of a beach as it's eroding and the water often comes up to the hotel wall but you can't get closer to the ocean with a better view. The pools are quite nice, one being a quiet non-kids pool. I was there off season so it seemed very quiet, I'm sure when the hotel is sold out, it might be tough to find the right spot to sit in.

The breakfast buffet was a great spread and was a nice addition to our package. The dinner menu was more minimal and would have been nice to see some daily specials. But the restaurant staff were all very helpful and friendly and were able to assist to accommodate food requests that altered the menu options. The food is not cheap, nor the drinks and everything automatically comes with an 18% gratuity added.

The spa is really beautiful and is worth checking out. However, the treatment prices are very expensive!! The villas for couples are magnificent and if you have the money you should book it for the afternoon but I suspect for the average person, it is just too pricey. We booked a couples massage but unfortunately too much time was spent on the masseuse fixing our pillow, sheets, walking around the massage table, washing her hands and pausing in between each body part that we did not enjoy it very much. In addition when the two massuers left the room, we expected to have a few minutes to relax and soak in the massage, however within 6 minutes, they came into the room twice. This destroyed the relaxing feeling we just had. One masseure kept talking and talking when she came into the room explaining we could purchase the room for 30 minutes at $65 and didn't pick up on the fact that we were just trying to relax and we were getting ready to walk out and she should have just stopped talking. Her name was Lori and I would not recommend using her. What was more disappointing was that the spa was closing 30 minutes later and we barely had time to use the other spa facilities. When I spoke to the front desk to ask them about using the steam room the next day and that we were not notified about the minimal time we would have after our treatments, the front desk simply said, 'these are our hours'. The next day I remembered that I had heard it's possible to book a $99 massage if they have availability at the last minute. It wasn't so easy to get this but I pushed a bit and got a call in the morning that there was an open slot if I wanted it. I had Chelsea and she was AMAZING! She really knew how to give a great massage and that $99 was better than the $400 for couple. So overall, very beautiful spa but too pricey and not enough attention to customer satisfaction.

Room Tip: The Lanai rooms are very nice off the tranquil pool. They lead straight to the garden with a table...
Dear Happytotravel101,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us at Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa. From the sounds of your review you had the opportunity to experience many of the great dining options and amenities the resort has to offer. I have shared all of your feedback with the different departmental leaders and we hope you will come back again in the near future.

Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

I sent the following letter to the manager earlier this week and have yet to receive a response of any kind. Would have thought an acknowledgement of some kind would come my way. There is no longer a beach at this resort due to erosion. Don't stay here if you are wanting to relax on the sand.
Eau Palm Beach is not a bad resort, just not worth the money you have to pay to stay here. Too many other "nice" hotels/resorts close by in a lower price range ($300/nt).

Dear Mr. King,

My husband and I stayed at your resort Saturday night for our quarterly "getaway". This is the first time that we have stayed at this location and if I had to rate were to rate your resort it would be a three-diamond resort instead of the five as advertised. Please let me share our experience with you and perhaps you can work to make improvements for future guests.

The staff we encountered addressed us as Mr. and Mrs. Connor whenever they had a chance and were extremely polite. We had lunch outside at Temple Orange upon arrival and both of our meals were delicious and we enjoyed sitting outside.

Our room was spacious, but could probably benefit from some updating. Although the bathroom is extremely large both the shower and the tub were very small. I am 5"6 and hit my shoulder on the shelf while showering. Obviously I am fine, but the experience definitely highlighted the lack of space. Definitely something you should change if you want to continue to advertise your resort as having higher than average accommodations.

Later in the evening we could hear a very loud banging noise coming from outside. After looking out of our balcony and not seeing anything out of the ordinary I called and spoke with someone at the Front Desk and was then told that the noise was coming from the firework display for the grand opening of the bridge. Both my husband and I feel that we should have been told about the fireworks display upon check-in. It would have been very easy for us to walk to the front of the hotel and enjoy the display instead of just listening to the noise from our room.

After being told that the bridge was still closed we chose to stay on property for a simple casual dinner. We sat in the lounge area of "Stir" and had a sushi roll, salad and edamame, all of which were very good. We then ordered the chocolate fondue for dessert. I am certain the chocolate "fondue" was Hershey's sauce that was poured from a can into a bowl and then heated. The fruits were bitter and the pound cake was stale.

After dessert we went to sit outside by the fire (it had finally stopped drizzling), but the cushions were covered for the night. They were left uncovered earlier in the day at lunch and were wet (and should have been covered since it was drizzling), but now that it was nice out and guests like ourselves could have sat by the fire and enjoyed the view the cushions were too saturated for anyone to sit on in the evening.

Overall, you have a "nice" resort. However, there is no "Wow" factor that would make me choose this resort over the many others we have to choose from in the South/Central Palm Beach area for our next getaway. I could stay at the Marriott in Delray Beach or the Holiday Inn on Highland beach for less money and get the same experience.

Although our confirmation (included below) still as the Ritz logo, there is no question in my mind that you are no longer a part of that organization. Sadly, my husband assumed that he was getting a Ritz resort when he booked this room. Very much a misrepresentation.

Regards,

Sherrie Connor

Dear Connorsl,

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the recent experience you had at Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa. We have addressed these issues directly and look forward to seeing you at Eau Palm Beach again in the near future.

Warm Regards,
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

This property defines what a beautiful, quiet, and relaxing retreat is all about. The experience does not have an overly grandiose and gaudy feel, but rather a tasteful, classic, and elegant ambiance. The staff is wonderful and attentive. I frequented the resort from the year it opened in 1991 as the Ritz-Carlton, and am glad to see the same dedicated staff at the Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa. Here's the interesting thing, they almost seem refreshed, and more dedicated to excellence now that the resort has broken away from the Ritz-Carlton brand. Now, the owner(s) can execute their true vision of the place, and so far it exceeds the Ritz-Carlton experience. Yes, the property is a good twenty minutes south of Palm Beach, but it is the perfect place to capture the old style Palm Beach retreat, much like the LaCoquille Club that preceded it. When a resort is independently operated, it is a more personal experience, and that is exactly what you get with the Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa. I highly recommend a stay!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ATLBetts
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Hanging chairs under a pergula beside a fountain, water sprinkeling down from above a jacuzzi, beautiful and calming space. This heaven like spa caters toevery one of your senses. Champagne, scent bar, wonderfull treatments. They capture the essense of mind body relaxation. Great for couples who can share some of the best parts of the facilities.5 Star. Super clean and attentive staff. Ritz like treatment but somehow better.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ldecor
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Recently stayed here for 2 days with my wife, for a conference. When the conference was booked, this was a Ritz Carlton, by the time it was held it was no longer. Glad we kept the conference here.

If you have stayed at other Ritz Carlton hotels, the feel and decor is exactly the same. Only things changed are the names on the signs, and the color of the uniforms.

Staff:
All were quite friendly and helpful. While they were quite friendly, welcoming, etc, for some reason, did not get the Ritz Carlton service Aura.... however, every staff we had come in contact with, was superb. From the valet guys, to the checkin staff, to the guys at the pool. All were top notch.

Room:
Same as other Ritz Carltons. Attention to detail, etc. Room was clean, comfortable. Decor was fine. Felt quite in line with South Florida/Palm Beach. We had a side view of the ocean with balcony.

Nice gym. Wife loved the fact that there were two pools, one for families, the other adult only. The beach is there, however depending on tide, there is not much "beach" there. The area around it as quite clean. Plenty of nice outside space, by the pool to hang out and relax at.
Only complaint... $28 for valet parking.... seriously?

Room Tip: Stay in North Tower if you want to be closer to conference rooms, Stay in south tower if you want to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank aeromaks
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Never written one of these before, but felt obligated to after my wonderful experience here this weekend. I've stayed at five star, leading R&C resorts all over the world and would rank my experience at the Eau amongst the best of these. Staff, whether it was a valet, bell boy, bar tender or cabana attendant all went the extra mile. Everyone was pleasant, charming, eager to please mad knowledgable about the resort mad area.

I get the sense that since dropping the Ritz brand there has been some hesitation amongst people to stay at the new rebranded hotel. I was guilty of this. I originally booked a suite at the Four Seasons up the street for the same duration, but for reasons of gross incompetence on their part I walked away without setting down a bag. The main reason I felt obliged to write this review was to attempt to correct this misperception, this is a truly fabulous resort, and having stayed at the hotel when it was under the Ritz umbrella can assure anyone it is better than ever.

Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Go club level
1 Thank Justin A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manalapan
The Chesterfield Palm Beach
Delray Beach Marriott
#5 of 15 in Delray Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,001 reviews
Four Seasons Resort, Palm Beach

Been to Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!