“Wonderful restaurant on the Indian River!”
Review of Yellow Dog Cafe

Yellow Dog Cafe
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Malabar
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Confort food with a flair. On the river in Malabar, Florida. On the Water with a long dock for a walk after diner. Outside dining, business meetings, weddings and private parties, event space.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

What a treat. The location, the food, the service, the ambiance! Yellow Dog was just marvelous. Had a delicious lunch there last week. I had the tuna which was perfectly cooked. The portions are so plentiful that we took half home for dinner. Prepared with a beautiful sauce. They serve you four home made breads, yumm, nice touch. Our server was delightful, it is apparent that the staff really care about this place. We didn't eat outside because it is July in Florida, but the outside space is gorgeous! Go here!

staurtborton, Owner at Yellow Dog Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Thank you KWS63! We truly appreciate your feed back and positive comments. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your tuna and our fresh baked bread. I hope you will be back soon! Maybe once it cools off, you can join us on the decks.

Chef, Stuart Borton

There are newer reviews for Yellow Dog Cafe

Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

There is a difference when a restaurant is not a chain and when the owner is hands on. This is a very quaint place on the water. Nice without being pretentious. Three of us stopped for a lunch on the way to a meeting. The drinks and the appetizers arrived in short order with a smile. My smoked salmon with caviar was excellent. The main course was taking longer and we started to worry about our meeting time. The owner came to the table and apologized for the delay. We told her that we had a meeting to make and we were getting a little concerned. She offered a free round of drinks and assured us that food would be out soon. 5 minutes later we had out main courses. My rare tuna on focaccia bread sandwich was delicious. My colleagues were also more than happy with their choices. Portions were on a larger side. I asked for the bill as soon as the good arrived and it was promptly produced. I put in the Cc and gave it to the waiter. He left and came back in a couple of minutes with my credit card and no bill. He informed that fur to the delay, the owner comped our lunch. I certainly appreciated the gesture. But even more, I was impressed with owner recognizing an opportunity to turn a problem into an advantage. Very few do. Certainly she just earned this review, and my return visit next time I'm in the area. One can only wish that other places would learn this trick.

1  Thank onepoet
Reviewed July 6, 2014

A pure pleasure to dine here in their perfect & beautiful private room with one table just for us with a large water view! Atmosphere combined with excellent service and food contributed to our best lunch dining experience! Started off with their exceptional creamy and flavorful crab bisque served with one of their famous dog shaper crackers! Most of our party chose their crab cakes which were moist and delicious with no evidence of fillers. 2 crab cakes were served atop a bed of an unusual and tasty red rice which had a great nutty texture and some green beans with a delicious creamy saffron sauce. Generous portion and so good did not want it to end! Fish cake had same preparation and was also a great choice. Another in our party chose a Hamburger and was evident that this was not just a regular burger. Was a large burger with golden sauteed onions and a real good bun. 2 large crispy potato pancakes accompanied the burger along with coleslaw. We were so full yet totally tempted when our server presented the beautiful dessert tray of a terrific array of choices. We chose a brownie shaped like a dog bone, a luscious strawberry cake and a fruit cobbler served with vanilla bean ice cream. All desserts were enhanced by a fresh dollop of whipped cream. OUTSTANDING in every way!!!

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

The Yellow Dog is a must if you are in the area. The food is excellent. The service, as well as the river view are wonderful. The Lobster Bisque is my favorite! They have a beautiful back deck/porch area. We will definitely return!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Don't let the exterior fool you. Once inside your are in a lovely, first class establishment. My husband and I arrived and had asked to be seated downstairs with an open view of the river. Unfortunately Mother Nature decided to treat us to an intense lightning and wind storm...amazing!!! But the sliding glass doors were all that were needed to afford us a great view and experience. Jason, our server, was a delight...very professional, informative, and personable. We started with 2 delicious martinis with blue cheese stuffed olives...perfect. Hubby tried their signature Crab Bisque and loved it. Their house salads were not your average iceberg renditions...unique. I opted for their famous Onion Crusted Chicken with a citrus caramel glaze. Wow....loved it. My husband had the 1/2 Rack of Lamb and it too was wonderful. The owner, Stuart, wandered over to check on us, which was a nice touch. This was not our first time at the Yellow Dog and we look forward to our next visit. This place has the ambience, food, and service that we all crave. Thank you for a memorable dining experience!

3  Thank Ginjoe