“Beware”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Maitland
bullcreek Wildlife Management Area
“Beware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

no a/c all rooms are set to one temperature , no children's activities, freezing cold pool, great location, the staff was well qualified and friendly, but the hotel itself left alot to be desired. was going to stay for the week, ended up there for just one night and probably will not return....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LizKapushy
Stephen C, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
My name is Stephen Colkett and I am the General Manager of the Homewood Suites Maitland. I received your review and thank you for taking the time to tell me about your stay. I am sorry to hear that your stay was so unpleasant. This is certainly not the experience we want any of our guests to have while stay with us.
Our pool is an outdoor pool that is not heated. I am sorry if the temperature was too cold for you to swim. While we don't have specific children's activities here at the hotel, we do have Lewis the Duck activity books and reading books in our Suite Shop located in our Lobby. I am sorry if you were unaware we had these available.
I am unsure what your issue was with the AC in your room as each room has an electronic thermostat that you can set to your desired temperature. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you and ask that you reach out to me either by phone at 407-875-8777 or via email at maitlandgm@ih-corp.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to tell me about your stay. I appreciate all feedback, good or bad, as I use it to improve my hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Arabic first
Gold Coast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Room layout for a suite needs to be improved. At least two members of the family suffered bad bumps to legs when the sofa bed was open. There is simply not adequate room to get around this part of the suite. The separate bedroom with doors was good and the bathroom area with the vanity separate was also fine.

When the room was serviced there was a lack of quality control obvious with items not replaced e.g tissues, toilet paper.

Breakfast was adequate but nothing special. The Manager Welcome Home Functions on Monday to Thursday were a nice touch. Dinner at the local Applebees was excellent.

We did appreciate the quiet location away from the theme parks and International Drive and access along the I-4 was convenient.

We had extended our stay by one night through the internet and when we received our room account the room rate had been increased for all nights of the booking. I challenged this with the front desk staff on the morning of checkout and the matter was referred to the manager who reinstated the original price for all nights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We appreciate our guest's feedback as we use it to improve our hotel. I am sorry that your stay was Adequate. We strive for the perfect guest experience so adequate is unacceptable to us.
I apologize for any issues you encountered with the servicing of your room. I will use your comments in our next huddle with the housekeeping department so that we may learn from it and improve our processes. I am also sorry that there was an issue with your rate but I am happy to hear that the issue was resolved for you.
I thank you for choosing to stay with us and hope to see you again in the future. I welcome you back so that we may attempt to make a better impression on you.
Once again I thank you for taking the time to tell me about your stay. I really appreciate it.
Puerto Rico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I just came back from this hotel and I was somewhat disappointed. First I'll start with the things I liked: very good breakfast (eggs, some meat, cereal, yogurt, juices, coffee, waffles, breads, etc), comfortable beds, good size room, nice staff. There's also a shopping mall very close by, an Applebees next door and a gas station with a convenience store walking distance.

Now What I didn't like. If you are a light sleeper do NOT stay one night at this hotel. We were in the third floor and I could hear the traffic of a very busy street by the hotel. More than once I was woken up by the noise of ambulances and cars. Also this hotel has the loudest air conditioner ever!!! Every time it automatically turned on or off I would wake. Four sleepless nights. :/

Warning: do not stay on this hotel during holidays. On January 1st 2013 they basically had only one very unhappy person working. Everyone else was off. When we woke up we had a letter saying only light housekeeping would be provided in order to give the employees time to enjoy the holiday. What that really meant was no housekeeping at all. Since I was warned of that I was ok. What really disappointed me about the hotel was the evening reception. Since we were leaving the next day I wanted to taste the evening reception in order to include it on this review. We were about half an hour away enjoying the day at Downtown Disney and I made my family leave to go to the reception (light dinner and drinks). To our unhappy surprise there was no reception!!! Why?!?! That definitely earned them points with their staff as a good employer but it makes them bad hosts. If I'm on vacation during the holiday I want to have the whole experience. If I would have known there would be no housekeeping and no food during a holiday I would have stayed elsewhere. I do not recommend this hotel. I've stayed in other Homewood Suites and ver it but this one does not live up to the quality you come to expect from its name.

Room Tip: Get a room in the highest floor possible and pray for a non noisy air conditioner.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stephen C, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
We appreciate that you chose to stay with us over the holiday and I understand how much you were looking forward to the dinner and light reception. I'm reviewing your comments with our team to ensure our guests always remain our number one priority. Again, I'm very sorry for your disappointment and any inconvenience. We hope that you consider coming back to see us and experience our warm hospitality.
Hampton, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Let me start off by saying that I read every single review prior to reserving this hotel. Yet I still decided to give this establishment the benefit of the doubt and stay here anyway during the week of Christmas. One major factor was the way the General Manager responded to every review. I am a huge proponent of excellent customer service! ... With that said, the room layout, breakfast, and light dinner was what I expected. Nothing extravagant but definitely served it's purpose. One suggestion is to add at Least one more waffle iron. Standing in line for 10-15 minutes to make one waffle is ridiculous. Determine the needs of your hotel based on the number of guest staying there... The bed was extremely comfortable! The room itself was ok. Unfortunately, we stayed in room 600. Evidently, right next to the hotel's vent in the hallway which kept me from sleeping well due to the Loud, drilling noise Every 60 seconds..... But my Main issue was housekeeping. Absolutely Unacceptable! When we entered our room on the first day there was a nice welcome letter. Too bad it was addressed to the wrong person. Probably the last family. Bad Taste. At that point I'm wondering if the room was actually cleaned.... I reserved the room for 2 adults and 3 kids. Yet we had to call the front desk Every Single night in order to get enough washcloths and towels. It is very inconvenient to be away from your hotel from 9am-11pm at night only to get to the room and have to call the front desk for a necessity. Then have the person tell you to come back downstairs and get it because they are short staffed. Really??!! So one night my husband REMINDED them we have 5 people. Funny how the exact same thing happened the next night. ...The kicker was getting back at MIDNIGHT not having Any toilet paper in the room. NONE. So when the person brings up the towels after we Refused to go back downstairs to get them (yes, again), we ask him how was it that the room was Supposedly cleaned but not a strip of toilet paper in the room. The attendant had the nerve to ask if we asked housekeeping for toilet paper. What? I almost lost it. I sternly let him know we have been out of our room the entire day. TP is a necessity. Why must we have to ask for it? He then says he will have to go ask someone because he doesn't know where it is. Frustrated, my husband cuts him off and points to some in front of a neighbor's door. He grabs a roll and gives it to us. ..... I had every intention of speaking with the General Manager the next day before we checked out. Unfortunately I did not see him on the way out and was too angry to wait around. We are Hilton Honor members and cannot express our disappointment enough. I might as well have flushed that money down the toilet. My suggestion would be to RE-TRAIN your staff. Everyone! And focus on Customer Service. Statistics show that 1 bad experience story will be repeated to an average of 10 people. Definitely not good for business with such a high number of hotels in the area.....Satisfaction Guaranteed? Great slogan but We were not satisfied.

Room Tip: Choose wisely. Read reviews.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
My name is Steve Colkett and I am the General Manager of the Homewood Suites Maitland. I received your review and thank you for letting me know about your stay. I am sorry that you experienced so many issues with my housekeeping staff. This is certainly unacceptable service and I am sorry that we failed to provide you with proper customer service you would expect from a Hilton hotel.
I apologize that I was not able to speak with you prior to your check out as I would have liked to address your concerns face to face and rectify the situation prior to you leaving. I would still like the opportunity to discuss your stay and invite you to call me at the hotel, 407-875-8777, or email me at maitlandgm@ih-corp.com.
I have relayed your comments concerning the housekeeping issues to my new Executive Housekeeping so that she can address them with her staff and ensure this type of service does not repeat itself.
We are also looking into ways to have another waffle maker present during the breakfast hours and will be committing to it once we are physically able to.
Once again, I am sorry for the issues experienced while staying with us. We will learn from your comments and appreciate them. Please contact me at your convenience so that we may discuss further.
Thank you.
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

My son and I stay at this hotel every year when we attend the state high school football championships as well as on occasional other visits to the area. We found the hotel has remained in good shape and we appreciate the super quiet suites, the excellent blackout curtains, the well functioning air conditioning that helps drown out exterior noise, and the very comfortable beds and living room furniture. The only disappointment of our stay was the poor servicing of the breakfast buffet on the second morning of our stay (a Sunday) as the staff did not refresh the danish and muffins or other offerings even though it was still in the middle of breakfast time. This was a total reversal from the prior morning (Saturday) when food was restocked by a cheerful breakfast attendant. The Sunday crew seemed to be different and their lack of attention was evident. For this reason and because the housekeeping crew failed to clean our suite while we were out from noon to 4pm on Saturday, service is only given a rating of "3". Fortunately, we arrived back just in time to see a housekeeping manager who had housekeepers clean our suite immediately. However, had we arrived after 5pm, we likely would have been out of luck. Other than these issues, our stay was terrific. One added note: there is an Applebees right next door making it convenient to walk over for a meal or bring a take-out order back to your suite.

Room Tip: This hotel is located away from I-4 and other main highways so highway noise is not an issue. Since...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to tell me about your stay. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have reviewed your concerns with the appropriate department heads so that we can learn from them and try to keep them from repeating. We are always striving for the perfect guest experience.
We hope you will consider us in the future and look forward to seeing you again.
Thank you.
Randolph, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I used to stay at a hotel I really loved when my trips to Orlando took me to the other side of town. However, I found that there were less properties to choose from in the Maitland area. I stayed at this property last June, and it was OK, but then I forgot what I didn't like about it. We just got back from a 2nd visit there, and it all came back to me. Although the location is great, and the staff very helpful and accommodating, it was not a great stay, The loudest air conditioning unit made using air very uncomfortable, and although it was promptly looked at my maintenance, nothing was really fixed. The same could be said about the toilet, which, although looked at, was flushing sporadically. I think that there just have to be some updates to this property and perhaps they are too expensive to do,.
However, during this trip I saw that there were some other hotels in the area and I will definitely try them the next time I am in the area.

2 Thank sarhop
Thank you for sharing a review about your stay with us on TripAdvisor and I am sorry that you had a disappointing experience. I am sorry your AC unit was noisy and plumbing issues were of concern, and we are working to correct this. I apologize that the toilet and utility issues were still malfunctioning after maintenance attempted to make repairs. I do hope the next time your travels bring you to the area you will stay here with us; we would love to have you.
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed 2 nights for business and was a bit disappointed. It seems the Hampton properties do a better job of paying attention to the details.

Breakfast offerings were marginal at best ... limited cereal choices, mostly sugar loaded. Oatmeal was as thick as mortar and only brown sugar offered, but no dried fruits or nuts. The prefab breakfast foods (eggs and breakfast meats) seem to get the most attention. Thankfully they did have yogurt and bananas that didn't look like they'd been there for a few days. It may be that the target audience is families and not business travelers.

The first day I used the fitness center there were no towels, no gym wipes and one of 3 machines "temporarily out of order" ... how may days I wonder? When you only have 3 machines that's a pretty big deal. Somebody not paying attention here.

The room was decent -- dated ceiling fan and air conditioner filter loaded with lint. Wifi connection was slow as usual at most hotels of this size. A+ for the room darkening curtains. And the property seemed to be quiet, which was a bonus.

As a Hilton Honors member I know what the quality of a Homewood Suites can be and this one misses the mark a bit. I may need to stick to Hamptons as they seem to be geared to the business traveler a bit better.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AlphaBill
Stephen C, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
My name is Steve Colkett and I am the General Manager of the Homewood Suites Maitland. I received your review today and wanted to thank you for taking the time to tell me about your stay. We value our guests' opinions and we do our best to cater to all types of travelers. We will be sure to keep your menu item suggestions in mind and our maintenance team has repaired the exercise equipment. I am just sorry it was not operational during your stay. We welcome any additional comments you may have and hope you will come see us again.

Warm regards,
Steve Colkett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maitland
Sheraton Orlando North
Sheraton Orlando North
#2 of 6 in Maitland
Hampton Inn & Suites - Orlando-North/Altamonte Springs
Hampton Inn & Suites - Orlando-N...
#1 of 14 in Altamonte Springs
The Alfond Inn
The Alfond Inn
#1 of 2 in Winter Park
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Altamonte Springs
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlan...
#2 of 14 in Altamonte Springs
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando - North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando...
#3 of 14 in Altamonte Springs
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,148 reviews
Quality Inn & Suites Winter Park Village Area

Been to Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland? Share your experiences!