“Disappointed!”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Maitland
Hampton, Virginia
“Disappointed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Let me start off by saying that I read every single review prior to reserving this hotel. Yet I still decided to give this establishment the benefit of the doubt and stay here anyway during the week of Christmas. One major factor was the way the General Manager responded to every review. I am a huge proponent of excellent customer service! ... With that said, the room layout, breakfast, and light dinner was what I expected. Nothing extravagant but definitely served it's purpose. One suggestion is to add at Least one more waffle iron. Standing in line for 10-15 minutes to make one waffle is ridiculous. Determine the needs of your hotel based on the number of guest staying there... The bed was extremely comfortable! The room itself was ok. Unfortunately, we stayed in room 600. Evidently, right next to the hotel's vent in the hallway which kept me from sleeping well due to the Loud, drilling noise Every 60 seconds..... But my Main issue was housekeeping. Absolutely Unacceptable! When we entered our room on the first day there was a nice welcome letter. Too bad it was addressed to the wrong person. Probably the last family. Bad Taste. At that point I'm wondering if the room was actually cleaned.... I reserved the room for 2 adults and 3 kids. Yet we had to call the front desk Every Single night in order to get enough washcloths and towels. It is very inconvenient to be away from your hotel from 9am-11pm at night only to get to the room and have to call the front desk for a necessity. Then have the person tell you to come back downstairs and get it because they are short staffed. Really??!! So one night my husband REMINDED them we have 5 people. Funny how the exact same thing happened the next night. ...The kicker was getting back at MIDNIGHT not having Any toilet paper in the room. NONE. So when the person brings up the towels after we Refused to go back downstairs to get them (yes, again), we ask him how was it that the room was Supposedly cleaned but not a strip of toilet paper in the room. The attendant had the nerve to ask if we asked housekeeping for toilet paper. What? I almost lost it. I sternly let him know we have been out of our room the entire day. TP is a necessity. Why must we have to ask for it? He then says he will have to go ask someone because he doesn't know where it is. Frustrated, my husband cuts him off and points to some in front of a neighbor's door. He grabs a roll and gives it to us. ..... I had every intention of speaking with the General Manager the next day before we checked out. Unfortunately I did not see him on the way out and was too angry to wait around. We are Hilton Honor members and cannot express our disappointment enough. I might as well have flushed that money down the toilet. My suggestion would be to RE-TRAIN your staff. Everyone! And focus on Customer Service. Statistics show that 1 bad experience story will be repeated to an average of 10 people. Definitely not good for business with such a high number of hotels in the area.....Satisfaction Guaranteed? Great slogan but We were not satisfied.

Room Tip: Choose wisely. Read reviews.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stephen C, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
My name is Steve Colkett and I am the General Manager of the Homewood Suites Maitland. I received your review and thank you for letting me know about your stay. I am sorry that you experienced so many issues with my housekeeping staff. This is certainly unacceptable service and I am sorry that we failed to provide you with proper customer service you would expect from a Hilton hotel.
I apologize that I was not able to speak with you prior to your check out as I would have liked to address your concerns face to face and rectify the situation prior to you leaving. I would still like the opportunity to discuss your stay and invite you to call me at the hotel, 407-875-8777, or email me at maitlandgm@ih-corp.com.
I have relayed your comments concerning the housekeeping issues to my new Executive Housekeeping so that she can address them with her staff and ensure this type of service does not repeat itself.
We are also looking into ways to have another waffle maker present during the breakfast hours and will be committing to it once we are physically able to.
Once again, I am sorry for the issues experienced while staying with us. We will learn from your comments and appreciate them. Please contact me at your convenience so that we may discuss further.
Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Arabic first
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

My son and I stay at this hotel every year when we attend the state high school football championships as well as on occasional other visits to the area. We found the hotel has remained in good shape and we appreciate the super quiet suites, the excellent blackout curtains, the well functioning air conditioning that helps drown out exterior noise, and the very comfortable beds and living room furniture. The only disappointment of our stay was the poor servicing of the breakfast buffet on the second morning of our stay (a Sunday) as the staff did not refresh the danish and muffins or other offerings even though it was still in the middle of breakfast time. This was a total reversal from the prior morning (Saturday) when food was restocked by a cheerful breakfast attendant. The Sunday crew seemed to be different and their lack of attention was evident. For this reason and because the housekeeping crew failed to clean our suite while we were out from noon to 4pm on Saturday, service is only given a rating of "3". Fortunately, we arrived back just in time to see a housekeeping manager who had housekeepers clean our suite immediately. However, had we arrived after 5pm, we likely would have been out of luck. Other than these issues, our stay was terrific. One added note: there is an Applebees right next door making it convenient to walk over for a meal or bring a take-out order back to your suite.

Room Tip: This hotel is located away from I-4 and other main highways so highway noise is not an issue. Since...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to tell me about your stay. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have reviewed your concerns with the appropriate department heads so that we can learn from them and try to keep them from repeating. We are always striving for the perfect guest experience.
We hope you will consider us in the future and look forward to seeing you again.
Randolph, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I used to stay at a hotel I really loved when my trips to Orlando took me to the other side of town. However, I found that there were less properties to choose from in the Maitland area. I stayed at this property last June, and it was OK, but then I forgot what I didn't like about it. We just got back from a 2nd visit there, and it all came back to me. Although the location is great, and the staff very helpful and accommodating, it was not a great stay, The loudest air conditioning unit made using air very uncomfortable, and although it was promptly looked at my maintenance, nothing was really fixed. The same could be said about the toilet, which, although looked at, was flushing sporadically. I think that there just have to be some updates to this property and perhaps they are too expensive to do,.
However, during this trip I saw that there were some other hotels in the area and I will definitely try them the next time I am in the area.

2 Thank sarhop
Thank you for sharing a review about your stay with us on TripAdvisor and I am sorry that you had a disappointing experience. I am sorry your AC unit was noisy and plumbing issues were of concern, and we are working to correct this. I apologize that the toilet and utility issues were still malfunctioning after maintenance attempted to make repairs. I do hope the next time your travels bring you to the area you will stay here with us; we would love to have you.
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed 2 nights for business and was a bit disappointed. It seems the Hampton properties do a better job of paying attention to the details.

Breakfast offerings were marginal at best ... limited cereal choices, mostly sugar loaded. Oatmeal was as thick as mortar and only brown sugar offered, but no dried fruits or nuts. The prefab breakfast foods (eggs and breakfast meats) seem to get the most attention. Thankfully they did have yogurt and bananas that didn't look like they'd been there for a few days. It may be that the target audience is families and not business travelers.

The first day I used the fitness center there were no towels, no gym wipes and one of 3 machines "temporarily out of order" ... how may days I wonder? When you only have 3 machines that's a pretty big deal. Somebody not paying attention here.

The room was decent -- dated ceiling fan and air conditioner filter loaded with lint. Wifi connection was slow as usual at most hotels of this size. A+ for the room darkening curtains. And the property seemed to be quiet, which was a bonus.

As a Hilton Honors member I know what the quality of a Homewood Suites can be and this one misses the mark a bit. I may need to stick to Hamptons as they seem to be geared to the business traveler a bit better.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AlphaBill
Stephen C, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
My name is Steve Colkett and I am the General Manager of the Homewood Suites Maitland. I received your review today and wanted to thank you for taking the time to tell me about your stay. We value our guests' opinions and we do our best to cater to all types of travelers. We will be sure to keep your menu item suggestions in mind and our maintenance team has repaired the exercise equipment. I am just sorry it was not operational during your stay. We welcome any additional comments you may have and hope you will come see us again.

Warm regards,
Steve Colkett
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Everytime I travel to Orlando for training I stay here - this place is great! The location is right off I4, but it sits on a little cul-de-sac off of the main drag so there is very little street noise. Also, there is an Applebees and 7-11 right next door for dinner and late night munchies.

The suites are clean, have all the major appliances (fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher), and contain large TVs in both main rooms. Free hot breakfast and dinner (which were pretty good) rounds it out. Only downside - the workout room had three machines, one of which was broke, so actully finding one open was tough.

However, despite that one minor issue, this is an excellent hub for this part of Orlando.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank FifiTheGreat
My name is Steve Colkett and I am the General Manager of the Homewood Suites Maitland. I received your review today and wanted to thank you for taking the time to tell me about your stay. I am happy to see that your stay was pleasant and my staff treated you well. We always strive for the perfect guest experience and I hope we were able to deliver this to you.
I am sorry that one of our fitness machines was not functional. My maintenance department has since corrected this issue.
We value your feedback and hope that you will visit us again when/if your travel plans bring you through Maitland.

Steve Colkett
Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed here one night on our way back from Miami Beach. We stayed at a very, very noisy hotel in Miami Beach and I barely slept more than 4 hours over the course of 2 nights. I was exhausted.

We decided to stay here because it was on our way back and I am very glad that we picked this hotel. It's in a very safe neighborhood. It was very quiet, clean, and comfortable. We both rested well.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephen C, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
My name is Stephen Colkett and I am the General Manager of the Homewood Suites Maitland. I wanted to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to tell others about your stay. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and would recommend us to others. This is certainly the experience we want our guests to have when staying with us.
We hope to see you again in the future if your travel plans bring you back through Maitland.
Yulee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We can not say enough about Homewood Suite in general and this location lived up to our expectations. We checked in late and the front desk attendant was up to her ears with a wedding party and other duties but she got us checked in quickly and efficiently.

The room was well appointed, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good as usual, the attendant was very good and helpful and engaging with the patrons.

Overall we really enjoyed the stay. The only drawback, and it was minor, was no changing table in the men's bathroom, (I didn't check the ladies room) in the lobby. I know it seems counterintuitive that I am at a hotel and I could just go up to my room and change a diaper but when you are juggling 3 kids and trying to get out the door and one needs a diaper change going back to the room is not an option. I improvised and we made it happen, but still it would be a convenience.

Overall I do not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone stopping in Orlando for any reason. We were visiting friends and family and usually stay closer to UCF but this was a viable option and the commute was no longer than an airport hotel or even one by UCF.

Definite "be back" hotel.

Room Tip: Upper floor, pool view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Stephen C, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
My name is Stephen Colkett and I am the General Manager of the Homewood Suites Maitland. Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your stay with us. We really appreciate it. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be back. This is certainly the experience we want every guest to have when staying with us.
I thank you for your review and will look into the changing table situation as I can truly appreciate your situation being a father myself.
I look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maitland
Sheraton Orlando North
Sheraton Orlando North
#2 of 6 in Maitland
Hampton Inn & Suites - Orlando-North/Altamonte Springs
Hampton Inn & Suites - Orlando-N...
#1 of 14 in Altamonte Springs
The Alfond Inn
The Alfond Inn
#1 of 2 in Winter Park
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Altamonte Springs
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlan...
#2 of 14 in Altamonte Springs
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando - North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando...
#3 of 14 in Altamonte Springs
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,148 reviews
Quality Inn & Suites Winter Park Village Area

Been to Homewood Suites Orlando-Maitland? Share your experiences!