“BEST Grouper Sandwich on the Beach”
Review of Dockside Dave's

Dockside Dave's
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Voted Best Grouper in the South...Southern Living Magazine, DuPont Registry, Best Grouper Sandwich!Now open for Breakfast: Saturdays 7:30am-10:30am • Sundays 8:am-11am
Rock City, IL
“BEST Grouper Sandwich on the Beach”
Reviewed November 30, 2007

My husband and I ate at Dockside Dave's on St. Pete Beach at the suggestion of Sam, our BATS taxi driver. He was right on the money. There is also another location in Indian Rocks.

After reading every reveiw I could find before our trip, I had a list of places I wanted to try. This restaurant was not on that list, but after a week of trying them all, Dave's won, hands down.
The atmosphere is casual and the employees all very friendly.

When travelling, we like to take Rachel Ray's advice and go where the locals go and Dave's did not disappoint. On our 3rd and last visit there, the bartender/server thought that WE were local and said that she was disappointed to find that we were not.

The seafood bisque was to die for, and the grouper sandwich was the biggest and best off all the ones that we tried in that week on the island. The onion rings were HUGE and delicious! My husband had the gumbo and said that it was also great.

When I admired a wooden fish decoration in one of the windows, our server/bartender called the owner to find where I could get one. That was really beyond the call of duty!

As Sam said------Quality AND quantity all for a great price......what more could you ask for????

4 Thank Dawn B

• Turkish first
wensleydale UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Easy dining at Dockside Dave's!”
Reviewed November 30, 2007

Five minutes walk from our condo, in Madeira Beach,couldn't be better, although used Dave's when it was in origial position and also at Johns Pass. Present location great for us and still best grouper and shrimp in the area. Great friendly service and good 'banter' with staff. Always look forward to our November vacation and to visiting Dockside Daves!!!
Phil Marrison. Leyburn. N.Yorks.England. UK

1 Thank marrison2106
Chicago
“Fresh Grouper”
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Our favorite spot in this area. Dockside origianly started out in the marina down the street. It was were the pool of maderira bay resort is now. But the Grouper sandwich is still the best on the beach. It is a huge sandwich served with fries and cole slaw. Quite the meal! Highly recomended. Casual dress with outside seating available.

2 Thank knoerguy
North Carolina
“Wonderful food at great price”
Reviewed November 6, 2007

Best shrimp and fries basket I have ever eaten. Large shrimp prepared to perfection. So good we went back a second time. The fresh grouper with really fresh (not frozen) vegs was also excellent. Very friendly and responsive staff. Not fancy, simply great food, served hot at a good price. With Bud on tap....what more do you need after a day in the sun on the beach?

1 Thank NCtraveler06
Antioch, TN
“Pricey, Food Not The Best”
Reviewed October 19, 2007

We have been going to Docside Dave's in Madiera Beach ever since we heard about the write up (posted in their current location near the Tom Stuart causeway) in Southern Living. Otherwise, from its orignial location and the looks of the building, I would never have gone there. What a joy it WAS! Best gumbo outside of New Orleans, great onion rings and grouper to die for. While in their temporary location at John's Pass last year, we felt the quality had gone down some but the grouper was still wonderful and served with sides - WHEN it was real grouper - they are bad about not telling you when they substitute . Now in a cute purple building right on Gulf Blvd near the causeway it is very pricey - sandwich has NO sides (everything is a la carte) and the batter was just too heavy and overpowered the fish. My husband's grilled grouper tasted good but was not hot, just barely warm. Our daughter came down for 5 days and her opinion was "never again". The gumbo is now so spicy I could not finish mine but my husband loved it and I use to LOVE their gumbo. You might try it chargrilled or country fried (less batter) but we went with the waitress' suggestion of batter fried, and it was greasy and parts were burned. Very disappointing as we always loved Dockside Dave's.

1 Thank Tnbear_lover