“Most excellent place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Walt'z Fish Shak
Ranked #17 of 79 Restaurants in Madeira Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bartlett, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Most excellent place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stopped in at Wait'z on a Friday night. Got there early as I know from pass visits - they may run out of certain fish or dishes. Glad I did, had my favorite off the blackboard - amberjack! Done well with a sauce, and side dishes. Once again, not disappointed. Had the peel and eat shrimp, which is served hot. Prices a little steep, but the prep of the food - outstanding. Wine and beer only. Yes, it is small...and for a larger guy like myself, come when it's not real busy! LOL. I never did find out the barmaid's name (the blonde woman as some people title her)-she was dressed in holiday spirit of red top and long, flowing white skirt ... somewhat transparent! She look very nice. Great, friendly smiles from all employees and greeters! Well worth the stop!

1 Thank Glenn S

Crestview Hills, Kentucky
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife and I first saw Walt'z while driving around John's Pass Village, trying to decide where to go for dinner. We thought it looked cute. It was small, but seemed busy. When we asked a clerk in one of the shops which restaurant she'd recommend, she told us Walt'z without hesitating. She said they only open if they can get fresh fish, so sometimes people have trouble finding it open.

We really enjoyed our dinner there. The conch chowder was outstanding. My fish entree and my wife's shrimp entree were both delicious. The slaw and rice sides were unusual and tasty.

The owner seemed a bit stiff when we first ordered, but later she came over to the table and chatted with us for a while. We really enjoyed talking to her about the area, the restaurant, and how she came to be there.

As we first noticed, the place is indeed fairly small, but it's got a good "neighborhood" kind of feel. Most of the other customers seemed to be local, loyal, repeat customers.

If you can find Walt'z open, we recommend you go there.

One note of caution: Beware of the parking situation at John's Pass Village. It seems ALL of the parking spots are metered, even the ones without signs, so make sure you find a parking payment station (or you'll end up being tricked into a parking ticket like I did).

2 Thank GlobeTrotterGuy
Bamford, United Kingdom
“poor value for money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

poor value for money,ordered fish cakes,2 small ones ,more like a starter.Drink choice very limited,would not go again.Both of us very disappointed,and not cheap

Visited November 2013
Newbury, New Hampshire
“A B rating, but pricey.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

A B rating, but pricey.

My family (5 of us all adults) went to Walt'z tonight. Despite all of the negative reviews on the "blonde woman" we found her to be accommodating and a little charming. We parked in their space and took a walk before dinner to check out the sunset. There was no pushback from her.

All of us agree that dinner was a B. Two of us had grilled snapper and three had crab cakes. One of us said the snapper was not as "juicy" as she expected. The other said that he thought the portion was smallish. The crab cake eaters all agreed that they were good, but not the best they had ever had. All of us agreed that the conch chowder was very good, coleslaw was excellent and the rice was good. Finally, the key lime pie rated a B.

The bill, including 5 beers and 2 glasses of wine, was $250 incl tip. We consider this to be very pricey considering the B ratings.

1 Thank SunapeeSam
Belleair, Florida
“Beware of the nasty blonde owner. Leave if she approaches.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I live in the neighbor hood and eat out at local restaurants quite often....
We had been wanting to try the restaurant for awhile so we had dinner there in November....
The food was great but our experience with the Blonde owner completely overshadowed our dining experience......she got involved in my gentle request for a beer that was ice cold rather than luke warm.....it's a long story.....but I literally got a lecture from her on proper beer temperature, she was extremely rude, insulting, unprofessional, and she clearly is in the wrong business.....we would have stormed out of there but we were in the middle of dinner. It was an unpleasant dining experience. We are never going back.....not with solid restaurants like Middle Ground, Salt Rock, Guppys, etc.......

Visited November 2013