“Totally AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Florida
“Totally AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

One of the worst expereinces ever, left without eating.
First, the conch chowder was very sugary, which is a shame because the base was good but also very ittle conch. Waitress said it was sherry, sherry does not taste likek sugar. Then ordered the "fresh" grouper. Waitress said it was a nice 8 ounce portion. Asked for it grilled because really fresh fish needs very ltitle seasoning and I didn't want it burried under a blackening seasoning. (I had two other grilled grouper meals during the week at two other restaurants, that were perfect and flavorful). Portion was no more than 6 ounces and had absolutely no flavor at all. The waitress summoned the manager. The manager started with this question"So where do you work" (insulting - as if that would determine our creibility) then began playng with my fork and non-eaten fish trying to prove to me that the fish was cooked perfectly (to us slightly dry and tasteless - I know my fish), as she was playing "look how it flakes, look at the lines, if you wanted flavor you should have ordered blackened - grilled has no seasoning" - not even salt or pepper. I have never had such a bazaar experience. I get fish off the boat all the time and know what FRESH tastes like. They took us as non-locals and treated us terribly. The manager was rude and defensive, no such thing as the customer comes first.. This place is a farce. I woudln't even give it one star but I had no choice. When have you spent $40 on a dinner and not eaten it?

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank dsl930

Brandon, Florida
“Great Pricey Food”
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I tried Waltz Fish Shak based on reviews claiming that the seafood was fresh and tasty. It appears that the reviews were correct. We live about one hour away from the Gulf Beaches and occasionally make the trip for an evening out, so we are familiar with the various restaurants in the area.

We started with drinks and the grouper cakes. There were two cakes about the same size as a typical crab cake and they were very good, having very small pieces of jalapeno to give some spice. The draft beer was all Euro imports so I had a Stella and the wife had a glass (very full) of wine.

For dinner I had the hog fish and the wife had the Gulf shrimp appetizer and slaw as her entree. My dinner came with rice and the slaw. My fish was very lightly fried, served hot and was delicious. The slaw appeared to be mayonnaise free, and had a few raisins adding sweetness. My wife and I found it to be tasty. My wife also thought her shrimp were very good.

Our service was very good, with the server checking without being intrusive. The negative was the cost. For a place that has an appearance of a beach dive restaurant, the prices seemed to be a bit high. Our meal for two was $60+. However, this seems to be the norm for food at John's Pass (small cups of ice cream go for $4). With lower prices I would have given 5 Stars Excellent Rating.

Perhaps in the future we will venture back to the places in Indian Rocks Beach where food is equally good, with lower prices.

Toronto
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We own a property in MB and have been looking for a restaurant that is a little off the beaten path that we can make our tradition...we found it last night at Waltz'! It is set back away from the traffic of John's Pass and has a great atmosphere inside and out on the patio. The menu that day offered about 6 main entrees and 5 appetizers...we ordered the cayman bbq and grouper cakes...both dishes were deliciously done. We will be recommending Waltz to others we know. We look forward to our next visit when we return in 2013.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank TOAdventureGirl
Maumee, Ohio
“Great Conch Chowder”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I am the only one in my family that likes sea food, so I didn't go in for a sit down meal. But I can tell you that the bowl of conch chowder that I ordered to go was delicious. It wasn't cheap but it was worth it. I have never tasted anything quite like it.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank KramSnoyl
Seminole, Florida
“They should warn you about the hot pepper in the rice”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband and I are locals. We wanted to try something new. The wine pour was excellent but all went down from there. Very expensive for my red snapper dinner, it was very small with rice and slaw. For $22 . I had a orange pepper in my rice..I assumed it was a mild pepper so I ate it. It was an extremely hot pepper!! It ruined the rest of my dinner because I couldn't taste anymore. My husband had to run to the bar to get me a glass of water. The owner came over and told me water wouldn't help and that I should squeeze the lime which was on my plate in my mouth. I told her she should warn her customers that the rice has a full not cut up hot pepper in it, she just said sorry and just stared at me. We will not go there again, our bill was $75.00 for 2 dinners , to sit at a dirty table with a fan blowing in your face. Head to Bubba Gumps upstairs much better food and better prices!

• Visited September 2012