“They should warn you about the hot pepper in the rice”
Review of Walt'z Fish Shak

Walt'z Fish Shak
Ranked #20 of 80 Restaurants in Madeira Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband and I are locals. We wanted to try something new. The wine pour was excellent but all went down from there. Very expensive for my red snapper dinner, it was very small with rice and slaw. For $22 . I had a orange pepper in my rice..I assumed it was a mild pepper so I ate it. It was an extremely hot pepper!! It ruined the rest of my dinner because I couldn't taste anymore. My husband had to run to the bar to get me a glass of water. The owner came over and told me water wouldn't help and that I should squeeze the lime which was on my plate in my mouth. I told her she should warn her customers that the rice has a full not cut up hot pepper in it, she just said sorry and just stared at me. We will not go there again, our bill was $75.00 for 2 dinners , to sit at a dirty table with a fan blowing in your face. Head to Bubba Gumps upstairs much better food and better prices!

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

If you love fresh seafood Waltz is the place to go in Madeira Beach. The menu is determined by the catch of the day, and the food prep is outstanding and straight forward, Entrees are served with a very well prepared Jamaican rice and peas and a delightful slaw. The key lime pie is outrageously good, too. Service is great. I found the management to be enthusiastic about their products, personable and highly professional.

1  Thank CookieViking
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We've eaten here several times on different visits.

if you are the sort of person who appreciates that the fish is caught by local fishermen from St Johns Pass and cooked the same day so choice is limited to what is caught that day, then you'll love it. We had lightly floured flounder fried to golden brown with rice and slaw. The fish was amazing, simple and delicious.

This is not a large chain restaurant churning out masses of pre-prepared pre-cooked dishes, if that is what you're looking for then go to Bubba Gump or Hooters. A friend in the catering trade in England once told me that if you wanted freshly prepared food from fresh ingredients then look for places with small choices and daily blackboard specials - Waltz delivers that perfectly.

1  Thank Faeriequeen
Reviewed September 1, 2012

To start with thay only offered two items Grouper or fried Hogfish. we waited 20 minutes to get our drink order taken, (there is no ac so we were getting thursty) then 40 minutes for dinner. The blacken grouper had no kick to it. I am sorry but when you say Blacken it should have some heat and flavor. The rice was way to spicy and had some sort of black pea in it. the fried hogfish (why would you fry hogfish?) only falvor was the oil it was fried in . thay did not have tarter sauce but offered ramulde sauce which is made with mayo it was not refrigerated. there was an earthy flavor to the the food that I could not place.We could not bring ourselves to eat this food. When our waiter checked on us we told him we were not happy he got the owner The owner was rude and argumentative.We were stuned at the way she treated us.
She said we would pay the total bill or she would call the sheriff WOW!! Well to sum it up we gave them there 63 dollars and went to outback for a steak .

3  Thank bonnievKennethCity
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I was disappointed that there were so few things on the menu. I like seafood, but don't like fish all that much ,,,and 2 of the 3 entrees were fish. At least the scallops were good. Definitely not your typical seafood restaurant. Also, the "no A/C" criticism was accurate; it was not comfortable.

1  Thank Litig8r1952