“Total Ripoff,Rude Staff & disgusting room”
Review of Surfs Inn

Surfs Inn
San Francisco, California
“Total Ripoff,Rude Staff & disgusting room”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I just completed a 3 week driving tour of Florida. We used Roomsaver coupons the entire time and can say without hesitation that this motel was by far the worst one we stayed in. Unfortunately, it was about 7pm when we arrived and felt too tired to continue driving and keep searching. The woman at the front desk (wish I would've gotten her name, but about 64 years old, a transplant from Michigan/Wisconsin area, short blond hair) was extremely rude to us. Despite the hotel being almost deserted, she gave us a crappy room on the ground floor, beside the stair well, which blocked the water view. The setting is so lovely, right on the ocean, but it seems the owners are too cheap to give it a major facelift. The room had no microwave or tea kettle, just a refridgerator. They only offered weak coffee in the morning, no food, fruit, etc. EVERYTHING was old, the bedding, curtains, cheap furniture, carpet smelled disgusting and musty. The room was so small, we could barely fit our suitcases in. I felt dirty even being in there, it was untidy, in desperate need of a paint and overhaul, a sad place. You cannot beat the beach location, but it is in a sad state of disrepair and neglect. I am writing this so people from overseas will not pay good money and be misled when they arrive!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Erin S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Brazil, Indiana
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We have been here twice. It's perfect! Love the beach! Everything was so nice. The most perfect spot for a sunset!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kelley S
Greenwood, Indiana
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We have stayed there twice now and its a great place to stay for the price and location. Its right on the beach and close by for things to do.The beach is so nice and clean and also very white. The last time we stayed we had alittle trouble with the ceiling leaking but, it didn't stop us from having a good time. Wehope to come back down again this Sept. to stay again. It's a nice place to stay compared to what others say. Robert Hudson Greenwood, Ind.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert37161
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Walked into this hotel and the stench of urine was over-whelming. I was almost distracted by the amazing view until I had to use the restroom. The toilet seat was only held on by one bolt. Not a very safe setup. My husband complained and they switched our room. The next room was no better that the first one. We asked for a refund and the receptionist's response was "Well why didn't you just say so?" Absolutely ridiculous.

Room Tip: Save yourself a headache and book elsewhere.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 5, 2011

On October 19th we experienced the worst nightmare for a hotel. We booked a room and the first thing when we check in was an explanation of how much we have to pay if we lost a key. When we got into the room, it was dirty and the bed was so old and soft that I alomst get over the floor. The fridge and range rusty, the bed comforter and rugs never were cleaned. Wy wife thought that they have a problem with that room and asked for another room. Worst than the first one, food leftover in the room. Bathroom so dirty that I don't know how people can use it. We ask for our money back. The receptionist only said "I don;t do the rooms". Health department should do an inspection right away. It was an early Halloween experience.

Room Tip: Never try to book this hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alberto B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Just so you know, I am flexible when it comes to travel. I love expensive, 5 star hotels. But, I was coming into St. Petersburg for work, last minute, wanted to stay on the beach but didn't want to pay 5-star prices. Found this place listed on Priceline, so we checked it out, and it was what I wanted ($70 a night, at the time, right on the beach!). First week of November, not many people in hotel, all the rooms are right on the beach -- they are very small and un-glamorous rooms, NOT a room you will stay in other than sleeping, but they do have good hot water, and leaving your windows open you can hear the ocean as you sleep. Staff was adequately nice, and the room was clean, although dated. My only complaint is that the balconies should be smoke-free, because the only thing that soured our experience was a man 4 doors down that would come out and smoke on the balcony. It is a non-smoking motel in the rooms. Can they outlaw balcony smoking? Would be nice, since there's nothing that ruins a beautiful sunset on the ocean than cancer flowing your way.... but I don't know if that's something the motel can inforce.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Jen_Pittsburgh
Saint Marys, Georgia, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I recently had to stay at this hotel out of necessity, my father was hospitalized. My mom called them and told them the situation let them know we weren't sure how long I would need to be there. They set me and my children up with a suite right away. I was coming in at all hours of the night and leaving again very early. The housekeeper was amazing she never bothered me, just long enough to ask if I needed anything. When she finally got in there to clean the room it was spotless!! One really rough day the do not disturb sign was up all day and when we finally emerged she had left us a care package with clean towels, sheets etc… This place was like home away from home!! I will admit I am a huge snob when I stay in a hotel. I never would have given this place a second look, it is old and looks like something from the 50's but the charm, the people and the view are amazing and so worth it!!! Thank you Surf's Inn for being there when I needed you most I am hoping to bring my family back again to enjoy the view without the stress this time!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
#4 of 15 in Madeira Beach
Courtyard St. Petersburg Clearwater/Madeira Beach
Residence Inn St. Petersburg Treasure Island
The Tahitian Resort Treasure Island
The Tahitian Resort Treasure Isl...
#19 of 48 in Treasure Island

Been to Surfs Inn? Share your experiences!