Schooner Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Beach Suites Resort(Madeira Beach)
View Hotel
Holiday Isles Resort(Madeira Beach)
View Hotel
Shoreline Island Resort(Madeira Beach)
View Hotel
Gulf Gardens Resort(Madeira Beach)
View Hotel
Sea Dawn Motel(Madeira Beach)
  • Pool
Snug Harbor Inn(Madeira Beach)
View Hotel
Beach Chill Inn(Madeira Beach)
View Hotel
Barefoot Beach Hotel(Madeira Beach)
  • Pool
All reviewsmagic showgreat pet friendly hotelmost beautiful beaches in the worldremodeled roomsfamily orientedhoneymoon suitelove this placenice little placerestaurants in walking distancenice pool and hot tubsmall hotelrecommend this hotel to anyoneacross streetcoffee makerfull kitchenfront officenice place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My hubby and I have been coming for years and find this hotel to always be clean and comfortable. The location is wonderful: located right on the beach (our favorite) and across the street from restaurants. We park the car and then it generally doesn't move until we leave. Nice common areas outside of rooms to relax in the open air and get to know your neighbors.

There are two pools that are always kept clean

We find ourselves comparing other places and beaches to Schooner and Madeira Beach, and always come back here. We stay here at least five times a year. Sometimes just when we have a weekend clear, we jump in the car and aim for the Schooner.

Room Tip: Efficiencies are just a tad more and are worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Shelia L
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed at the Schooner for 3 nights to relax after our busy Disney vacation. The hotel was PERFECT for us! My husband and I along with our 4 year old son and 7 year old nephew really enjoyed our stay!

We were in room 222, right behind the main pool. It was an apartment style room with a small kitchen, small living room with fold out sofa, small bedroom wtih queen size bed, and small bathroom with a beautiful tile shower. Yes, the room was small, but it was comfortable and we never felt too crowded. We shared a large patio with room 221 but we knew the people staying in that room so it wasn't an issue to share the patio.

The kids loved the main pool. When we weren't at the beach they were swimming in the pool. It was a bit too cold for my preference. There was a ball and a couple noodles the kids could use at the pool. We brought our own noodles but left them at the pool when we came home so we didn't have to travel with them.

The proximity to the beach was fantastic. We were literaly steps from the sugary white sand and the beautiful Gulf. There weren't many restaurants/shops near our hotel, but John's Pass was a just a short drive. We didn't really need anything to keep us entertained while we were there anyway.

My biggest complaint was that there was a group of college spring breakers at the hotel. I believe only 4 of them were actually staying at the hotel but there were sometimes as many as 15-20 people in their room/on the patio at night and around the pool during the day. This probably wouldn't have been an issue at a larger hotel but the hotel is so small there isn't really room for extra people. The kids were very polite during the day and even played with our son and nephew in the pool. But they were quite loud all night and used our private patio. I wasn't overly concerned about the noise since it was spring break but I would have preferred for them not to be on our patio right outside our room and I didn't like that it was difficult to have a chair at the pool because there were so many visitors. Maybe the hotel should consider/enforce a visitor policy so that paying guests can have priorty to the hotel amenities.

We would definitely stay at the Schooner again. It was a very enjoyable stay and the price and location cannot be beat. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so if climbing stairs is an issue ask for a first floor room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Misty_Nicole1982
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My wife, her girlfriend and I have been coming to the Schooner for 6 years now. You just can't beat staying right on the Gulf! The Staff is very attentive and friendly, always trying to please! This year, we came to find all the rooms on the Schooner side remodled! They look great! I hear by next year the "Beach Suites" will be remodled also! We stay 5 weeks every year and wouldnt stay anywhere else! Our room, #109, is perfect! we see the water and dolphin right from our window!

Room Tip: For the view...room 109!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank johnny m
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Unfortunately we were placed in the "Unremodeled" side of the hotel, ironic that the sign outside said "All Rooms Remodeled". We were told at booking that we would get a Queen size Bed, turned out to be a Full Size bed that was so painful to sleep on. We were also charged another $35 because we only stayed one night, so buyer beware. There was food in the fridge from the last guest. Mold in the shower. A tiny 13" TV sitting on a cabinet that was missing a door. Our pets stayed with us and even they were uncomfortable just like another reviewer's pets. Our unit didn't have Central AC even though there were vents in the wall for it and the wall unit was as loud as a jet engine. Eventually we turned out the unit so we could try and sleep, figured we could sweat it out easier. There are only a few spots on property, the overflow parking is across the street and they give you a small sticker to put on the front of your car.

It's hard to believe people stay here when you can find a nice vacation rental for a better price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank KeyHopper
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We've been staying at The Schooner for 28 years-we go for a week to a month every March. It was a small, well-worn motel when we began our annual trips but the price has always been a bargain to be just yards from the Gulf in a pet-friendly, casual environment. The past few years, the disrepair had gone from quaint to bothersome but, no longer. The main building was remodeled entirely-a total gut job just short of ripping the walls down to the studs-new windows, doors, appliances, furniture, beds, linens, bathrooms, paint and colors. In all these years, this is the first time the place is nicer than my own home. I hesitate to post all this because I'm certain with all the business it'll generate, the prices will likely rise and reservations will be a necessity.
There ARE some glitches a new guest will wonder about-doors that open the 'wrong' way, lack of dressers in the rooms, but Sue, the site manager assures this is a work in progress and those tiny things will be righted.
There is lovely sand-colored tile (probably ceramic but looks like travertine) on all floors and in the showers, gorgeous new vanities, some with more sink space than others, some with storage beneath and behind doors. The new beds are sooooo comfy with beautiful new linens, some beachy striped, some damask-bedskirts, tons of fluffy pillows, pretty kitchen towels in the rooms with kitchens and kitchenettes. Fresh linens are left outside your room as requested in pretty baskets, maid service upon request (If you like total privacy the whole time you're there, they'll leave you alone-daily service if you request it) A few rooms lack even mini-fridges and microwaves so be sure to ask for the specifics you want. And as I left on the 15th of March they had not yet installed room phones, so take your cell.
The staff is small so when you call, have your questions and info ready or maybe ask if it's a good time to ask questions before you book because it's likely Sue or Sara are at that desk alone and have people standing in front of them as they're on the phone with you. They're so accomodating and will spend as much time as you need to make sure you're happy.
The new owners have changed the name from The Schooner MOTEL to HOTEL which isn't truly accurate-you still enter your room from outdoors, but the upgrade is 100%. The rooms are light, bright, MODERN and airy. Everything works well-showers have killer good water pressure and the new big flat screen TVs are awesome! I barely watched mine, though, I was outside if I wasn't deep asleep, watching the dolphins that swim by twice every day, photographing herons and egrets, sunsets and my friends playing on the beach, barbequeing chicken on the grill and eating dinner on the patio. Brand new, appropriate lounge and patio chairs were also a welcome surprise.
It's still not the Hilton-no restaurant on site, no room service, no parking garage, but no huge hotel bill. I traveled alone this year from WA State and spent less than $1400 including airfare and shuttle fees for 10 glorious days ON the beach. You can't beat that.
I usually take room 222 but I went with 211 this year (they renumbered almost all rooms but 222) and I think it's the best room there. If partiers are on the patio, it can be a bit noisy til they turn in, but it has a STUNNING view of the beach and Gulf-3 large windows that open in front (some windows at ground level and on the walkways have not yet been replaced with windows that open for security reasons) so I fell asleep to the sounds of the waves each night and never even used the room's brand new air conditioner. There was a full moon while we were there and made for beautiful midnight views.
Pay NO attention to reviews of this property that were made before the remodel-they just don't apply. And for heaven's sake, don't book March up solid, we need out happy place annual vacation and we went to The Schooner first! :) I'll post pics of this year's vacation soon, please feel free to ask me anything-I'll be honest and frank.

Room Tip: 211 for VIEW (at NO extra charge!?), 101 and 222 for bigger rooms (there are other big rooms but these 2, I know) and the tiny room off the laundry for the solo traveler who doesn't need a lot of space.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends