“Bad Fish” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sculley's Boardwalk Grille

Sculley's Boardwalk Grille
Ranked #23 of 79 Restaurants in Madeira Beach
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad Fish”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Wife and I purchased a crab cake sandwich and a pistachio grouper sandwich at Sculley's on June 1st. We primarily stopped here due to the waterfront location. The crab sandwich was excellent. The grouper sandwich smelled fishy, was a dark color (under the pistachio crust) and tasted like non-grouper. I complained to the server and asked her to report my conclusion to the manager on duty, i.e. that this fish was either old or not grouper. I showed her the darkened color, also. She remarked that I had already eaten most of the sandwich, thereby intimating I was only trying to work a discount from them. Actually, we have been married 39 years and we share everything we order. So after 3 bites, I was disgusted with my half, and stopped eating. My wife concurred that this was either a grouper-imposter or bad. Server (Nancy) returned and advised they would take $7.50 off bill (This sandwich was $15.99). No discussion with customer at table by management. Led me to further conclude they were aware this fish was not grouper. I would not ever stop here again, and suggest vacationers use reliable and trusted restaurants.

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Sculley's...good and just OK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We always eat at Sculley's on our annual vacation in Madeira Beach. The end of May on a Wed evening, ate w/ 6 adults....the food was fabulous, service was excellent, so would have given a rating of 5 stars.
But went back the next week w/ my daughter and grandson on a Tues eve....not so good. The iced tea tasted like it sat too long & brewe not cleaned in a while. Waiter gave me a new glass of tea from a different brewer...still tasted poor. I didn't drink either glass....just drank ice water, but I was still charged for the tea. Service was passable and food barely warm. Waiter was nice but acted like everything was just great, but it really wasn't.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
“Great view, but not impressed with the food or the service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I came here to eat on a Friday evening in June. It was a little after the evening rush, so when we arrived the place was fairly full but as the night continued on it became less and less crowded.

The restaurant is along the boardwalk at John’s Pass, but it’s elevated a few feet above the walking path so, if you get an outside table you have an unobstructed view of the harbor area. We arrived right before sunset and had a great time watching dolphins at play and boats moving in and out of the docks. In fact we were so engrossed that we hardly noticed that it took 20 plus minutes to place our drink order, so when they arrived we were sure to place our food order.

I ordered the red sangria and we ended up leaving most of it. I’m a big fan and there are some restaurants in the area that do it really well, unfortunately here it tasted just like a bland, weak red wine.

They have a decent selection of seafood options on the menu. I started the muscle appetizer in white wine sauce and was pretty happy with it, my wife got the smoked fish which she enjoyed as well, though was a little surprised to find the crackers were saltine packets. At this point we were still in a fairly good mood… however as time passed and the sun went down we were beginning to get a little antsy. A good while after we were done with the appetizers the waitress reappeared, cleared the table and asked if we would like coffee or desert. After we informed her that we hadn’t actually gotten our entrees yet she looked confused and walked away. It turns out that our dinner order wasn’t placed.

After about 15 minutes or so dinners arrived, we had Grouper and Mahi Mahi but neither one was really worth the wait. All in all, we were not impressed with the food, drinks, or service and probably wouldn’t be going back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Fort Worth, Texas
“very tasty drinks good food slowwww service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Everything was really great about this place. The food was awesome and the drinks were tasty. but our server seemed like he was moving underwater. I have never seen anyone move so slow in my life.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dirty Restaurant/Terrible Food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Beware this place was dirty. The food was terrible. Service nonexistent. Do not waste time or money.