“disappointed”
Review of Mario's

Mario's
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went to this restaurant last year whilst on vacation in the area. Liked it, so this year decided to pay a return visit. Didn't enjoy it . As soon as we ordered our starter it was in front of us. As we finished it our next course was on our table. And on it went. From the moment we sat down we had paid the bill and were out of the door in 35 minutes.. My wife and I like to sit and relax whilst dining. Everything seemed such a rush. Also there was brown wrapping paper on the tables that were supposed to be table cloths. Ours looked as if someone had their eyes closed when they cut ours. We had planned to be repeat visitors but doubt if we will return.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is a small restaurant in Madeira Beach that we have probably driven by over a thousand times over the years. A friend suggested we try it and we are so glad we did! The Zuppa di Pesce was a huge bowl of seafood including clams, grouper (fish), mussels, calamari and several huge shrimp. The sauce was white wine and light tomato. Both of us had difficulty finishing this huge dish. Awesome. Most meals are served with bread, salad and a dish of fresh grated parmesan. Glad we finally found it - we have heard the Osso Bucco is to die for. The owner said, just call a couple of days ahead and she will prepare.

The only thing I would suggest is that the young man's verbal skills be monitored and refined to pattern the owner's - his are a bit rough around the edges. Other than that, no issues with his service.

We shall return.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Don`t be fooled by the location which is next to a 7-11, the food here is excellent and the service matches the food. The sauce they make is absolutely delicious and the desserts are made on site and not to be missed. I would strongly recommend this little gem of a restaurant

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Amazing Italian food. If we were to go back, we may share portions because the plates are large and food is filling. Very quaint and a great atmosphere. We made a reservation and the table was ready when we arrived. The staff was very hospitable and provided great service. Highly recommend.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

The most important thing to say about this place is that the food is truly exceptional. We tried Calamari, Mussles, Salad, a Chicken dish and a Veal Dish. It was all absolutely delicious. We would definitely go back for the food - but the service was a little lacking.

To explain, we ordered a bottle of house wine. We got water and waited a fair bit of time. We then asked our server about the wine and she (in not a friendly way) went and got it, poured a bit for tasting (which was fine and appropriate) and then poured into each glass. Fine, no problem there. My compainion got her Calamari and since we thought the Mussles would be right out, she waited for me. We heard discussion and comment about the need for a small mussles order (you can hear all of the interaction with kitchen staff - at least from where we were sitting). When asked if the mussles would be out soon there was no apology - just a look. When asked why the mussles took so long the server said - "Oh, I thought you wanted them one at a time!" Our mains came, both at the same time, and they were delicious. About half way through our server decided to fill our wine glasses. She gave me a portion, my companion a portion and then, I guess wanting to empty the bottle, poured the rest into my companion's glass filling it nearly to the top!!!

So, there you have it. Magnificent food; questionable service. But, do give it a try.

About reservations - the take them but don't expect for your table to be ready for you!