“Excellent Food......Unusual service”
Review of Mario's

Mario's
Ranked #14 of 80 Restaurants in Madeira Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Halifax
“Excellent Food......Unusual service”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The most important thing to say about this place is that the food is truly exceptional. We tried Calamari, Mussles, Salad, a Chicken dish and a Veal Dish. It was all absolutely delicious. We would definitely go back for the food - but the service was a little lacking.

To explain, we ordered a bottle of house wine. We got water and waited a fair bit of time. We then asked our server about the wine and she (in not a friendly way) went and got it, poured a bit for tasting (which was fine and appropriate) and then poured into each glass. Fine, no problem there. My compainion got her Calamari and since we thought the Mussles would be right out, she waited for me. We heard discussion and comment about the need for a small mussles order (you can hear all of the interaction with kitchen staff - at least from where we were sitting). When asked if the mussles would be out soon there was no apology - just a look. When asked why the mussles took so long the server said - "Oh, I thought you wanted them one at a time!" Our mains came, both at the same time, and they were delicious. About half way through our server decided to fill our wine glasses. She gave me a portion, my companion a portion and then, I guess wanting to empty the bottle, poured the rest into my companion's glass filling it nearly to the top!!!

So, there you have it. Magnificent food; questionable service. But, do give it a try.

About reservations - the take them but don't expect for your table to be ready for you!

Indiana
“Very Good, beware of extra charge”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We ate dinner, had linguini with natural clam sauce, lobster ravioli. We had salads, which came with our entree. We were asked "do you want mozzarella & blue cheese on your salad?" I said only mozzarella & my husband said both. Our food was very good, we had baguette-style bread, and got a second basket with our meals. The house merlot was good too. Then we got our check, and I noticed that there were charges of $1.25 & $2.00 with the entree's. I asked about it,and was told "it's for the cheese on your salads. I couldn't believe it! Wow! It isn't an every-thing a la carte place. It feels like you're being tricked, just wierd. I would've done without the cheese if given the opportunity. Our server was a teenager, the place is small & it wasn't worth arguing about. But, it did leave us with a bad feeling, I don't like being tricked!

Indian Rocks Beach
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“OMG.....The Food Was Yummy”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am a local who lives on the beach near the restaurant. I had the opportunity to have dinner there last night and I am still amazed at how awesome the whole experience was. Even though the restaurant is small the taste of the food is HUGE. I want to go back their again tonite just to have their bread AGAIN. I had their meatball and pasta dish and it was spectacular. At first I didn't think I could eat it all but before I knew it I ate every last drop. Congratulations and thanks to the owners of this place who made it all possible for all of us....tourists and locals. I will be back again.

Lenoir City, Tennessee
“Small,Good and they know it!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

First, they have wine or you can byob. Food is exceptional! Staff was friendly but they know they have a great place...the confidence was a little bit of a turn off. Nonetheless we will be back. Do not miss the deserts!

“An unexpected Gem”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

An unexpected gem
We arrived early and were immediately seated. The chef came out to take our order and when I ordered she said that is very rich Just to let you know. I didn't want rich so I said can you make a Puttanesca? I don't see any on the menu. She said she would love to make it for me. It was fabulous. The portion sizes were large and I couldn't finish all of the meal.
We are so happy to have found it on Trip advisor. You wouldn't stop if you didn't know to stop. It is being discovered. When we left they were full. The owner comes to your table to talk a little. I was glad to talk with the chef. We will be back again.