“D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S”

Ranked #18 of 84 Restaurants in Madeira Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We have the Freshest Seafood in Madeira Beach! We also serve pasta, steak, Chicken, and Hamburgers.We are located in the world famous Johns Pass. Make sure you try our award winning New England Clam Chowder!
Reviewed February 7, 2008

We ate here during our honeymoon stay in Madeira Beach in December '07. The place came recommended by the receiptionist at the resort we stayed at.

We were first seated inside next to the window. After hearing music outside, we asked if we could move to the deck. Our waitress was very friendly and was more than happy to accommodate us. It must have been a guy with a karaoke machine...doing a really bad Elvis gig. But it was funny and much better than sitting inside. We had the place to ourselves : )

As other posts have read, the clam chowder was very yummy. Our plates were full and the prices were just right! My husband's dinner was also lunch the next day due to the amount he was given. Everything had a fresh taste too it. We were very happy we took the advise given.

2  Thank Fun4Us2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,477)

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 28, 2007

I LOVE THIS PLACE THERE IS SO MUCH ATTRACTION GOING ON AROUND YOU WHILE YOU EAT

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Skip the Friendly Fisherman Restaurant at 150 John’s Pass Boardwalk in southwest Florida’s Madeira Beach. This very busy hole-in-the wall attracted us, as it does many, by it’s location over the St. John’s bustling seaside shopping boardwalk, and it has inviting windows facing the sound. With all those patrons parked at its pine tables and bench chairs, it must be great, right? Wrong. It is very middling at best, and everything on the menu is fried: fried halibut, fried clams, and fried scallops, with a side of French fried potatoes. The chef was likely a former Jiffy Lube mechanic: he sure knows how to work the grease.

We got a table by the window, but after the sun sets, it doesn’t matter—the restaurant is so brightly lit that you cannot see out anyhow. So we were left sitting at the window being peered upon by all the rathskallions along the boardwalk. We must appear like a fish tank full of hungry piranha, downing heaping plates of crisp yellow nuggets.

Our waitress, a bawdy middle-aged Ohio native, took our order of broiled mahi-mahi appetizer, which was the only nonfried appetizer on the menu. Hell, they even serve fried veggies! The mahi mahi was blackened to the point of overpowering, but we downed it all in preparation for a plate of fried clams that was the size of Long Island. Fortunately, we were bright enough to split the ginormous plate between the two of us. They added a $2.95 mandatory charge for splitting a single entrée, but you do get an extra empty plate, plus extra potato and small, dressing-drenched side salad. Even between the two of us, we could not down all the clams. I will confess, the clams were lightly battered, strips only, and were tasty. But if any single person can eat this entire $12 order of fried clams themselves, they ought to be presented the “I’m a gluttonous pig and my heart deserves to choke stop now” trophy for overt stupidity.

We have dined at so many truly unique places here in south central FL, and frankly, the cattle call at the Friendly Fisherman is like eating at a slimy version of Red Lobster. Not unique, not a creative item on the menu, and when you leave, you feel like your gut is going to bust from trans fat piggishness. If your goal is to simply sling on the feed bag and chow on assorted crustaceans rolled mercilessly in batter, then this establishment will thrill you. This type of jim joint will likely be getting the golden Fry-o-later award as it appears, regrettably, that most American diners adore their seafood oily and corn-battered, judging by the average waist size at the Friendly Fisherman. I did not see anyone over the age of ten that had a waist size smaller than their height. I could hula hoop in their jean shorts.

If you are looking for something marginally healthy that is uniquely Florida, bypass this restaurant for any of the other great dining experiences that await you along the Gulf Road.

(belches clam grease) We wish we did.

9  Thank Smythe77654
Reviewed October 13, 2007

We moved from Italy and live in St. Pete now,and we have tried many restaurants,but what I like about Friendly Fisherman compare to other restaurants, is the location, layed back and friendly atmophere, and most important, their fresh fish catch, that comes daily from their boats !!!
You have to try their clamchowder,and the captains dish,they are the best!!!
The only drawback,are the seats,I have lots of friends,and it is difficult to accomodate more than 5/6 people at a table at one time!
Ciao!
Giulia Nota,St.Pete,FL.

2  Thank Italianissimo
Reviewed September 7, 2007

My Wife and I recently spent 3 weeks at Indian Shores, and we ate at the Friendly Fisherman on a number of occasions.
My particular favourite is Grouper, which I enjoyed Blackened, Cajun, Broiled and Fried. I also discovered Flounder which was beautiful. My Wife loved the Scallops and Shrimp.
We both agree that the Clam Chowder is the best we have tasted. Watching Dolphins in the Bay only makes your experience more pleasureable.

We fully recommend The Friendly Fisherman.

2  Thank mariaphilH