“Changing Tides - A Great Local Hideaway”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madeira Beach
Changing Tides Cottages
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Madeira Beach
St. Petersburg
“Changing Tides - A Great Local Hideaway”
Reviewed November 12, 2006

I have lived and worked in St. Petersburg for seven years. I have known of Changing Tides the entire time, but never stayed there as I have a home here. My very busy October work schedule brought me to the point of exhaustion, and I needed a 'get away', but was unable to take the time to actually go out of town for a vacation, so I thought "Changing Tides!" I was delighted with my cottage, the view of the water, seeing the dolphins right out side my door and the relaxing laid-back atmosphere. Kathy was a delightful and accommodating hostess, and saw to it that I actually FELT I was on vacation. I slept a lot, undisturbed, enjoyed the company of the other guests at the barbeque when I chose to and was peacfully rested when I went back to work. High marks for this great local spot.

• Liked — Location on the intracoastal and proximity to beach
  • Disliked — that I had to leave!
  • Tips/Secrets — have fun!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
7 Thank BusyGirlHere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
florida
Reviewed November 6, 2006

People say location is everything. These cottages have everything we wanted for a quiet get away. We liked the fact we could be with other people by the table (and gas grills) in the center of the common area or stay off by ourselves.
Close enough for a short walk to the Gulf. Lots of good shoping and restaurants within walking distance.
Even though we do not fish it was relaxing to watch other people enjoying themselves as they fished off the private dock right outside the cottages.
We could enjoy our coffee (in our p.j.s) and not worry about being seen by other people off property. Also a great time to watch boats in the harbor. (did see a couple of manatees and lots of pelicans)
We are looking forward to our next visit.

• Liked — had everything we needed for a relaxing getaway
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
6 Thank retiredladies
USA
Reviewed September 23, 2006

The advertising for Changing Tides is far more appealing than the actual property. Our cottage was dirty. The screen door was broken, letting in all kind of insects. There were dead bugs in the drawers. The refrigerator did not work for half of our stay, and it was iffy after that. The furniture was uncomfortable. The bathroom was mildewy and outdated. The owners were hard to find and only marginally helpful when we could track them down. There was construction noise on the lagoon all day. One night the police were knocking at our door, investigating a local theft and advising us to be careful. It was a vacation nightmare. Because we were locked into the rental agreement, we slept there and then left for as much of the time as we could. We are pretty easy-going travelers, and we've happily stayed in some less-than-luxurious places, but this one was really bad.

• Liked — Warm weather.
  • Disliked — Dirty cottages, noise, safety, minimally responsive owners.
  • Tips/Secrets — Beware of pretty advertising.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank doschicas
boxkite, 0wnee/manager at Changing Tides Cottages, responded to this review, November 8, 2006
Owning and running Changingtides Cottages for 6 years , I was completely taken aback by the above review. Not only is it misleading,untrue and unfair, it leaves me in a position of defending cottages I love and care for. At the same time, I am hope tripadvisor membersand readers know the difference between an honest review and one bordering on libel. Our cottages are older but updated,tiled , unique,cute,warm and friendly. We pride ourself on cleanliness as well as continually making improvements. We are in an area where one can walk a dog or by yourself any time of day or night and be safe. We offer free bikes, canoes, and kayaks all stored outside -unlocked. We are inspected several times a year by city,county and state -never having warnings or citations. most of our guest are repeat but we do hope our readers will look us up when in the area or give us a call, I live in one of the cottages, next to the office
hope to hear from you
Kathy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Stayed here for the Fourth of July. Pleasantly surprised by just how nice it was, like it's own little oasis. Cottages are separate buildings, concrete block. Window AC units, tile floors, and ours had a back porch with some chairs. Furniture was a little outdated, but it worked. Owner is nice lady, great recommendations on food nearby from her. Pet friendly, always a plus, not that many options though for where your dog can do it's business as most of grounds are concrete. Would stay here again, and plan on it.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed March 28, 2005

The cottages provided us with a very relaxing environment during our 3 night stay. There are a number of individual cottages and while ours was slightly outdated (decor, furnishings, bedding etc.) the view was wonderful and they provide a number of nice extras, including wireless internet and kayaks. The owner was very accommodating and available when we needed her (since it's not a hotel with a front desk). We will definitely stay again if we're in the area, most likely for a week. Great price and a great location within walking distance to beach, restaurants, and shopping. You might want to bring your own towels as the "daily towel service" wasn't consistent and we had to ask for ours the 2nd day.

• Stayed March 2005
#5 of 15 in Madeira Beach
Snug Harbor Inn
Snug Harbor Inn
#4 of 15 in Madeira Beach

Been to Changing Tides Cottages? Share your experiences!