“rather drink the water in mexico”

Pirates Pub and Grub
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed April 5, 2014

we spent 20$ to dock are boat then walked around on the upper level trying to avoid places we have allready been, as avid boaters its hard to find a place we havent visited before so we headed to bubba gumps. After being told there was a 20 minute wait our group of four decided to walk and find another place to eat. keeping in mind we wanted a new experience we saw the name pirates pub and grub and thought it would be right up our alley. The captian of our vessel ordered first, grouper tacos and his fair lady decided on the mushroom swiss burger, both meals (if you call them meals) required that they pay an extra 2$ for fries. With the apitizers (hush puppies) and 2 domestic beers thier total was 48$, Then my lady ordered a bacon burger and i ordered the pirates burger and asked for mayo and jalepenos on the side, plus 2 waters. After less then 2 sips of my water i noticed a (swear on my life) pubic hair in my water. before the food came i brought the water back to the shack they call a resturant and brought it to thier attention and nothing was done about it. let it go. then our food came to the table. shortly after my first few bites notice another pubic hair on my burger, my friend then found more than one pubic hairs on his tacos. they forgot to bring us our condiments that we ordered (mayo and japs) and refused to do anything about our food order. it took demanding a refund and then they still took the tip that was given on the original debit reciept. this place is worse than a crab in my shorts, we kindly told everyone waiting for their order to check thier food and here i am telling you to stay away!

2  Thank Anthony A

Reviewed April 3, 2014

We sat down to enjoy a drink while looking over the bay and didnt leave for 3 hours! Partly because of the rain storm that came throught but it was a great place to wait it out. The view was beautiful. We saw dolphins and tons of pelicans. They all come in to rest on the boats against the dock. The staff was friendly and told us all the great local places to see. My husband LOVED the fried conch fritters. Great fancy drinks. We will definitely be back next time we are in town!

1  Thank michelle d
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I are local cooks and are well aware of the "beach food" that is offered on the Gulf. Unfortunately, we do not make the trip to John's Pass too often, mostly because the tourist make it an unpleasant experience. However, with limited time off in season, we wanted to do something different than our norm. We walked around John's Pass and nestled between The Hut, Sculleys, and The Friendly Fisherman, we found a great little gem.

We did find that there was not enough "direction" as to where the restaurant seating and bar seating were located. There could definitely be some updating with this. Especially with some of the bigger seafood places nearby. I only mention this because not only is the craft beer selection impressive, the food is INCREDIBLE!!! They are probably being overlooked when potential customers are perusing the boardwalk.

We order the Crab Balls as appetizers, and had huge chunks of lump crab in every bite. We received 6 for $11.95 on a bed of shredded lettuce with boom boom sauce. Absolutely amazing! With our app being so spectacular, we decided to order dinner. I had the clam strips (with hesitation because clam strips are usually terrible in any restaurant you go to) and my husband had the Gator Po Boy. Without a doubt, this was the best meal we had ever had on the beach. We had absolutely NO complaints about how the food was prepared. We both work industry, so we are definitely the biggest food critics. The french fries alone, are worth the trip. Hand cut and cooked to complete perfection. My only complaint was that we received plastic silverware.

This is the most bang for your buck in John's Pass. Great selection of craft beers, delectable food options, and all for a price any budget can afford. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank JRnDrea
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I love whole clams and lobster. The waitress said people come from all around for the clams. That's good enough for me...I thought.. Well they were full of grease, when she brought the dish to me the clams were sopping in grease, I ate one and had her take them away. She did take them off the bill and the lobster roll was barely edible. This is the first time that I could not eat food that was served.

Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

We sat down at a picnic table and looked over the short and sweet menu. We ordered a bacon American burger and a lobster roll. This is a counter service place, but you can also sit inside (I think). Our food came out quickly and tasted great. Reasonably priced as well. We were very happy with our choice to eat here, we were going to go to sculleys but the prices were $$$$ and there was a long wait time.

1  Thank Mwyckoff1