“Good food, service. Pay with cash.”

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
Ranked #16 of 79 Restaurants in Madeira Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Pinnebog
“Good food, service. Pay with cash.”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We met out-of-town family members at Bubba Gump for afternoon lunch on October 4, 2012. There were six adults total. It was a hot Florida day, so we opted for the indoor seating. There was no wait, as the restaurant seemed to be about half-full of diners.

The waiter was pleasant and cheerful but could have been a bit more attentive. I recall one or more of our group looking around for the waiter to get our order or something that was forgotten.

The menu was almost exclusively seafood; shrimp being the dominant item. I ordered jambalaya and and a house salad. Both were very good. The jambalaya was spicy and my eyes watered while eating it. Fortunately there were no ill after-effects and I felt very satisfied.

When we were finished, the waiter brought the bill, and I immediately gave him my credit card. He took the card and bill and went around the corner, presumably to the register. My brother-in-law jumped up and insisted HE pay the bill. He went looking for the waiter. A seemingly long few minutes later, the waiter returned with my credit card, and told me that he had already swiped my card. But, not to worry, the transaction was cancelled.

We noted that the bill included the tip because we had a party of six or more.

Eleven days later, the Visa Fraud Prevention phoned my home. The computer voice read five charges and asked me to verify them. One was the $155 charge for the Bubba Gump meal. I pressed "2", indicating one or more of the charge were incorrect. Visa locked my card and told me to call my bank.

The next day, I called my bank and told them my story. They told me that there were new charges to my card for a convenience store and a Walmart, in the Richmond, VA area. Two of the charges went through and two more were blocked. I went through the whole process of disputing the charges and waiting for a replacement credit card.

Suspecting foul play at Bubba Gump Madeira Beach, I phoned the manager. She checked and phoned back, telling me that they could find no record of the transaction in question. Since she said that she checked, I told her that I would give her a favorable review on Trip Advisor.

Although there is no proof of foul play on the part of the restaurant, I cannot help but feel that an employee may have compromised my credit card. For that reason, I plan to use cash in the future.

• Visited October 2012

Tampa, FL
“Chain Restaurant”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The food and ambience was good. I probably would try one of the independents next time. There are a couple of other seafood places nearby.

Visited October 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
“Only go here so you can say you have been”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I ate here for lunch. Came in early to beat the crowd. For $20 I got an Ice tea I had to keep requesting refills on, a SMALL shrimp meal with some of the smallest shrimp I have ever seen and a good fresh garden salad. The salad was the only saving grace of this meal. I guess I should have eaten at Hooters next store maybe I wouldn't have left hungry

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Deadeye3321
Brooksville, Florida
“tried it....”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We ate at one in South Carolina and loved it, this one however is very slow and has poor service and is very pricey!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank GloriaConatyBrack
Warwick
“Not a great experience”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Food is good but a bit disappointed with the set up. Went one lunchtime, very quiet and arrived via the boardwalk, approached the bar to be told by the waitress to walk all the way up to the restaurant entrance to see someone who would seat us, did this and the guy told us to go and sit anywhere so walked back down to the bar where we entered and asked if we could sit upstairs, told no! So found a table and another waiter got our drinks order, not very friendly but OK. Food took 1.5 hours to arrive - waiter told us something about the order not going on system and took order again. They did take 20% off our order but only after asking. The female waitress on the other tables seems much better so we may have just been unlucky. However, wont be going back. You only get one chance to make a first impression!

• Visited October 2012