“expensive and bad service”

Hosteria Alpaka Quilotoa
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Although we had read about prices of 10$/night the owners wanted 25 per person (with breakfast and dinner) and would not bargain about it. We didn't know there was another really nice hostel just up the hill so we accepted... The rooms were not that clean and the bathroom was mouldy. Service is really bad and people not very friendly. They wouldn't clean the room, make beds, empty trash in the bathroom, etc. Food wasn't very good either and it was pretty cold sitting in the large unheated dining room.
So: Do not stay in the hostel, walk a few meters up the hill and get a nicer and cheaper one!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank veronikams

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I don't always negociate with indians, but when I do it has to be in Quilotoa! You'll really have to negociate with the indian owners. If they say "25$ the night" try to be calm and remember: Never pay more than 10$ for a room in Ecuador and always demand a piece of soap! Tell them, 10$ is a good price and stick to it... they will discuss and discuss and in the end, you'll get your room for 10$!
The rooms are quite amply and the staff is super friendly!
...and they offer wood-burnig ovens in every room!!!
Great experience! go there!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DoktorShiruango
Reviewed September 3, 2013

It was hard to sleep at this altitude for both my father and me, but the beds were very comfortable and there was a stove fire in the room, which made it much cozier. We were with a group and we had to upgrade to the room with the stove because I knew from previous experience in the other rooms that they had we would freeze. The food was good too, but I've stayed at equal places for a smaller price.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Olivia B
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My experience pretty much was a repeat of everyone else's review. They charge $50 for 2 people, mandatory dinner and breakfast, which is a rip-off compared to other places we've stayed at in Ecuador. We were unable to bargain them down, and it was dark, late and cold, and we hadn't done our homework to avoid this place!

They did promptly set up the fire in the wood-burning stove in our room when we asked them, at least.

The dinner portions was pitifully small. The breakfast was buffet style, decent, but because we came later, they didn't offer to cook us eggs, which I could tell theyhad done for the other guests. Instead they were too engrossed in their Mexican telenovela DVD on the TV.

There was no hot water at night. 7:30 - 8, they said. The next morning, I had to bug them to switch on the hot water at 8ish.

The lobby/common area looks like a dump, with dusty piles of stuff scattered around, including
a shrink wrapped fridge.

The beds were clean and comfy. And the breakfast was decent. That's about the only positives.

We had lunch at the Chukirawa after our hike around the lake. The lady was very helpful and friendly, and I wish I had stayed there instead, had I known about. She helped us arrange our onward transport options.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed here as it was the first we encountered after getting out of the bus and there aren't that many alternatives. As the advice was to barter down, we did. At first they asked 50$ for the 2 of us, which included dinner and breakfast. We bartered down to 35$, but they noted that in that case the room could be shared with other travelers should there arrive more. In the end we shared with 2 other travellers, no problem as the room was big enough. Downpart of the room was the smell of smoke which bothered us untill the morning. In the main room they heated stoves in the evening, and it seemed that the smoke entered our room for some reason.

Conclusion: Pretty good place to stay, 50$ is too much for what you get, so barter. Food is o.k. and room 102 is not recommendable

Room Tip: In our case, room 102 was not the best because of the smoke
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Hostel is nice. Good points are:
big rooms
comfy beds
fire in room
good common room
food provided
Bad points:
intermitent water supply
range of rates between $12 and $25 per person for same service (need to barter, dont book online)
sometimes rude staff
beds not clean, full of dirt

would recommend the hostel but dont let them walk over you!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I called to make a reservation at the cheaper place (apparently they own a couple properties) and they said I was all set. When I showed up, they said the other place was full and I had to stay at this place and told me it would be $25/night, instead of $15. I told them what happened and the lady said "ok, I'll give you a discount" to $20 a night without meals. I told her I didn't bring money for that and she agreed on the $15/night with all meals included. The price I payed made the experience great. It is freezing there. The family is always sitting around the fireplace. The water in the showers was lukewarm, which wasn't great because it was so cold. The free hot tea/chocolate/coffee was great, especially after coming inside. You can sit close to the wood stove and warm up with a big cup of tea. Dinner was delicious and there was plenty of it. Breakfast was great too. The first morning, it was an all carb breakfast, which sucked. The second day, they made eggs...I think if you stick around and wait...they'll eventually bring out eggs.

Room Tip: Call and agree on a price before you get there. If you don't have great Spanish, they'll try...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quilotoa
Hotel Somagg
0 mi away
Hostal Princesa Toa
Hostal Princesa Toa
#1 of 2 in Quilotoa

Been to Hosteria Alpaka Quilotoa? Share your experiences!