“Good food, but confusing ambiance”
Review of Romansa Cafe Restaurant - CLOSED

Romansa Cafe Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I had dinner here last night and was confused before my family and I approached the building. When you come into the shopping plaza from Hwy 434, the side of the building indicates that there's a pool hall which is having it's new opening. When I pulled up, there were quite a few bikers outside the sign, sitting at tables having beer and smoking, so I was a bit concerned bringing my kids in. When you turn the corner, you find Romansa, sort of.

The entrance into the pool hall and Romansa are the same because they are the same establishment. You can smell the smoke from the pool hall as you come in, but when you go into the dining side, the smoke odor goes away.

The decor on the Romansa side is confusing too. It's a nice mixture of beiges and browns with cute cafe signage around the place, working hard to create an intimate setting but there is a huge bar in the middle of the restaurant, complete with giant TV's. While we were there, the sound system was blaring Led Zepplin and I'm a Led Zepplin fan, but I didn't think it lent itself to the environment.

We ordered from the menu and was a bit concerned about the amount of time from the kitchen to the table. We had to be out in an hour and some of the other reviewers commented about the service, so I asked for the food as soon as it was ready and it came out fast; no worries there.

I started with the lentil soup, which was very well done. Lots of lentils and potatoes. Excellent flavor. Would definitely order again. Next came the entrees. My daughter had the fettuccine Alfredo which she liked very much and had a pleasant presentation. Her friend had spaghetti and meatballs, which came with two monstrous meatballs and was tasty as well. I ordered the goulash. This was unlike any goulash I've ever had and was excellent. My plate was piled high with tender chunks of highly peppered beef atop of a bed of home made mashed potatoes, all covered in broth, not sauce. The flavor was similar to Italian beef or pepper steak. The server told me the style was Serbian / Croatian goulash, not Hungarian or Polish style. Either way, this was the best thing we tried.

There are Groupons available for you to try Romansa at a reduced rate for the first time out. The portions are substantial, although a la carte. They have live music and activities a few nights a week. We'd come back for the food, but honestly, it's not a romantic place to eat. It's more of an upscale local pub that serves very good food. And if you like food, you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank David G

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We went during the middle of the day.... Kind of the dead time. Before happy hour but after lunch. The service was great and cheerful, the decor is beautiful. Would definitely go back!

1  Thank spotdgreengirafe
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is by far the most friendly place in the Orlando area! Excellent food always! We eat here about once a week because it's always great! Fish is wonderful so is the chicken or even the Filet! Happy hour is before 7pm and the Cocktails are the best around. Save room for the best dessert- tiramisu. . . Sounds simple but is amazing! Service is outstanding!

1  Thank Megan M
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Disappointment number one.
When I looked at their web site, I was pleased as my wife was excited that our dining group seemed to be going to an upscale beautifully decorated restaurant. Surprise they had moved across the street and left all the finery behind. Other than a new bar and game room, the place hadn't changed since it was a Chinese Restaurant over Twenty years ago.
Disappointment Number Two: Anyone want to guess how long it took me to get my food? Keep in mind I was the third person to enter the restaurant in my group. Also keep in mind that out of the twenty or so people that were in the group (all who showed up much later than I all were finished eating. Hold on to your seats folks! Three hours and 15 minutes!
Need I say more? The food? Okay, but after that length of time, who could give an even fair review of anything. Nice staff of kids that certainly were left without a manger to really take charge of this kind of a fiasco. For all my trouble i was given a flat diet coke. There are many restaurants in the Longwood area , visit them.

2  Thank oldtimernr
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was brought here by my daughter. What a nice, friendly place to go, as well as having excellent prices and foods. You can dance here if you want, and you can play cards if that strikes you. However, I found it to be an excellent value, with free and safe parking, and a family-like atmosphere. The menu has great items on it and each one is good for you. I will certainly return the next time I am in the area (after having been here 4 times already). I do recommend this restaurant whole heartedly.

1  Thank doug931