“Sadness at a Great Loss”
Review of Big Tree Park

Big Tree Park
Ranked #3 of 17 things to do in Longwood
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We were shocked to learn of the death of this majestic tree. Its memory will live on in all those who visited it. I want to share some pics from our visit when the tree was alive.

All reviews
"preserve"
"riding"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed November 25, 2013

The attraction was one of the oldest trees on planet earth. Some druggie messed up her pipe/smoking kit and wound up burning this tree, The Senator, to the ground. What is left in this park isn't very much so don't waste your time. They should rename it!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

In March 2013 we attended the dedication of "The Phoenix" which is a clone of the oldest and largest bald cypress destroyed by fire in 2012. The ceremony replete with state dignitaries, school bands and chorus was awesome! We are growing a sapling given to attendees. It's now about 4.5 feet tall and my grandson is the gardener responsible for its survival. The park offers playground equipment, boardwalks through the woods, information boards and markers to make the trail interesting and informative. A great place to escape the heat and sun. The Phoenix is an inspiring story!

2  Thank Carol R
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Senator, once the oldest cypress tree in the western hemisphere was burnt by an admitted crackhead. That said, it is still a nice park and a look at how some parts of Florida existed prior to the Spanish explorers arrived. I would recommend it as a day trip.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 29, 2013

It was about twenty five years ago. I took my now gone father and toddler daughter to view Big Tree. I don't remember many details, but certainly won't forget the impression Big Tree left in my father who appreciated the wonders of nature. He would take all who visited him in Central Florida to this park after that. The enthusiasm in his face and pride in showing Florida history will always be in my heart. He lived to be 96 and reviewing this old experience filled my heart. <3 This site would not accept my review unless I chose a date of visit, so let's say it was 25 years ago today.

1  Thank ivlamima