“Longboat Key Club keeps getting better”

Resort at Longboat Key Club
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Longboat Key
Reviewed May 13, 2007

We have visited the Longboat Key Club for many years and each time we return, we find additional treasures that the Resort keeps adding.

Last year, they added a beautiful Spa which is amazing. It has all the right touches and the service staff is suburb. The pool and beach
is 2nd to none with personalized service. The island pool bar was my personal favorite spot, but the Club restaurants were also amazing with first class service and the best grouper I’ve had in years. In fact, the resort employees all were friendly and service was their top priority.

Now the suites!!! The suites have always been the most spacious units in the area with 2 bedroom units up to 1,750 square feet!! I would say are now also leading the industry in their furnishings as well –and I travel a great deal. We arrived and were delighted that the room we stayed in has been completely remodeled / refurnished. There are new Sealy Presidential Beds with Egyptian cotton designer sheets, live plants, true bone china, single surface countertops, awesome wine glasses and an incredible bar set-up. Just wait till you
see the new TV’s. We were blown away. The rooms have 42 inch Plasma Flat screen TVs with DVD/VCR. Even a Bose Wave Radio in the living room. There were books, magazines and even games to enjoy. I felt like I was in my own home. I can not think of any item that was overlooked. They were elegant yet comfortable.

I spoke to the manager to be sure I would get this room next trip. I was delighted to learn that all rooms are currently being remodeled, so the entire place will be like brand new in June! I love this place. I can not wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank bam72

Reviewed April 29, 2007

Having read all the reviews here for LBKC, we booked our deluxe 2 bedroom suite for our family of 7. Girls 6 & 4, boys 2 y.o & infant, plus babysitter. It was a fantastic spot for our Easter break. From our ground floor suite, we could go out of our private deck right to the beach access, a short walk to the pool and restaurants. Loved the tennis, the Harborside Blue 9 hole course, the amazing spa. Great facilities. Good restaurants were Euphemia Hays, Cafe L'Europe, Chart House and Crab n Fin. Capt. Greg Abbott took my husband and little girls fishing, and my husband marvelled at how great Cap't. Greg was with the kids. A worthwhile outing. St. Armand's Circle was a great walking/shopping/dining spot. The kids' club was good; small size and my girls loved the outings; Ringling Museum and Sarasota Jungle Gardens. Pool could have been bigger, but adequate for us, and the beach is really wide and pretty. The service was really attentive. Crib sheets brought promptly, light bulbs changed rapidly. Housekeeping comes twice a day. Loved it. Kitchen was really decent and used the laundry every day (for free). All in all, a big success... we're going back!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank parkdrivespoiled
Reviewed April 25, 2007

We had a wonderful time at your resort!! From the minute we checked in until the minute we checked out it was first class all the way! We were wit the USDTA tennis group and we had great tennis,golf,food,swimming,and a lot of fun memories that will never be forgotten. Thank you for the wonderful service !!!

2  Thank CRAZYPA
Reviewed April 20, 2007

After much research we booked a week at the Longboat Key Club mid April. It was a wonderful vacation. The staff is outstanding. From the moment we arrived we were addressed by our name. Check-in was a breeze with bellmen greeting us in the driveway and taking care of everything.
After 24hour the staff knew our children by name. We enjoyed the pool and never had any trouble getting chairs. If you approach the pool/towel ‘boys’, they monitor the chaise lounges and will find chairs for you.
We traveled with two young children (age 1 and 4) and the room was good for us. We had the Club suite with the small kitchen which includes small wash/dryer; great with kids. I would have liked a larger room as our daughter slept on the pullout, which made it a bit crowded. The price-jump to the 2bedroom suite was too expensive. The resort was happy to provide highchair and sleeping crib for us.

We utilized the concierge for many reservations including off-sight dinners, Mote aquarium tour, babysitting. The resort has some mature babysitters on staff, who are excellent ‘grandmother’ types. Suggest if you want them, book as soon as you make your reservation, as they are much sought after commodity
While the resort is 25year old, the cleanliness was outstanding. All the staff is eager to help, and everything was constantly being cleaned. We arrive during a ‘tropical storm’ and the next day there was ‘all hands on deck’ to clean up the property and ready it for business again. Really well done.

Our bedding was new and fresh, the bed was comfortable, granite counters in dressing room and kitchen appeared to be updated as well. Our balcony was tired looking and the doors were hard to open. Screens would be an asset.

I agree the pool could be bigger and it would be nice if there was a separate children’s pool. However, the beach is beautiful and the beach staff again, is outstanding. As soon as we approached the beach, we were offered chaise cushions, cabana’s set up, and toys for the kids, umbrella’s set up. We really could not have asked for nicer treatment.

My husband and I both had services in the spa. I have had many spa treatments and I would say this was 3.5 out of 5. I felt the massage was a little overpriced at $125 for 50min (deep tissue). My mani/pedicure was excellent and average price. They do have showers and well stocked club change room to utilize after treatments. The fitness facility is updated and excellent.

Overall the resort has a nice ‘club’ feel and the staff makes it a wonderful place. We felt safe with our children here. A great family place. I don’t know if it would be lively enough for ‘young singles’. We will return next year, and will book 2 or more weeks.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank runningmommy
Reviewed April 13, 2007

The resort used to be one of the high class, now more of an middle of the road resort. The condition is pretty good- a bit out dated in the rooms but not bad. For instance the TV in our suite was a 14 inch set! They have a resort style- short golf course with GPS in the carts. Great pool on the beach and nice location at good prices. Overall this is an above avaerage resort.

2  Thank lplage
Reviewed April 11, 2007

We were there the week of April 1. We got a fairly good rate through AARP---$80/night less than AAA. Our room may have been somewhat run down, but, the view from the top floor of building 4 was spectacular. We had a view all the way down Longboat Key. I guess I expected the room to need some upkeep, so I wasn't too disappointed. The grounds were very nice and the beach was unbelievable--very wide, soft and powdery. So soft, it was almost hard to walk on! The service was very good. The beach attendants would bring an umbrella and a chaise to whever you wanted it, or fix a cabana for you.

I think what made up for the dated room was that we had a huge balcony with a wonderful view. And, the room wasn't THAT bad. We were able to fix frozen meals in the microwave. The refrigerator was more than adequate. And, it was nice having a 10 cup coffee maker and a sink, dishes etc. It saved us some money, not having to go out for breakfast and some other meals. The Publix was great--nicer than stores we have in Michigan.

4  Thank LindaM2
Reviewed April 7, 2007

We recently stayed in a Club Suite at the Longboat Key Club, Room 4102. At check-in, I was suprised to have been given a 1st floor room, after requesting a high floor, but I highly suggest it. The seven buildings at the Longboat Key Club have a parking area on each "ground floor" of the building. This means that the 1st Floor is on the 2nd Level. Furthermore, 1st Floor rooms have both a balcony and a deck, w/ very easy beach access. Our room was spacious, although most appliances were very outdated. We used the pull-out couch, which was comfy, and the actual beds were awesome. The balcony doors could really use a screen, as the only option was open (fresh air+bugs) or closed (no bugs, but only A/C). Right up the street on Gulf of Mexico Drive is a Publix shopping center, and we found it very convienent and relaxing to cook our own meals inside the room. Definatly take advantage of the free bike rentals, we rode about 10 miles and it was lovely. We reccomend to take the sidewalk path down to the Publix and back. **Be Careful for the Old People Drivers, They shouldn't be on the road**. The beach itself was lovely too. I don't remember the name, but about 10-15 miles north on Longboat Key is this little shack that serves great and cheap meals (meals at Longboat Key are Very Expensive). We were able to fly down there and back for free w/FF miles, but we had to leave out of Tampa. Our flight was very early, so we chose to leave the hotel the night before, and stay in Tampa. Two Tips: 1)They aren't nice when it comes to late check-out. If you request it, they say "30 minutes, maybe an hour extra." 2)Just stay there and get up extra early. The Airport hotel we stayed at was so disgusting, we would have rather gotten up at 3 in the morning than stay there again.

The Takeaway: Longboat Key Club is a nice, but outdated hotel. Expect great staff and service, but VERY high prices.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
#6 of 50 in Sarasota
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!