“Beautiful beach, resort employees - so/so” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sun & Fun
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
Fort Mill, South Carolina
“Beautiful beach, resort employees - so/so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our mornings sitting at the beach, our chairs were set up nicely by staff. The water was nice enough for a swim with plenty of activities to choose from. The restaurants at the resort were nothing special. We walked into the restaurant and the host walked by us 3 times and stopped to talk to the bartender before we could get her attention. We finally sat down and waited another 10 minutes for someone to take our order. The food was okay. Breakfast the next day (Sunday) was much better - we were sat right away and our server, Cheryl, was great. The room was good. My only complaint about the room... The tub didn't drain while I showered (I had no sand on me) and when cleaning ladies came to the room, our bed was made - but that was it. They didn't touch the bathroom. Nothing was refilled or folded. I would still come back. I would just choose other restaurants.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank andrearobmac
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear andreaorobmac:
Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am glad you enjoyed your mornings on the beach in the chairs and umbrellas we provide. I apologize that you did not receive the quick welcome and service in the restaurant the first time as is our standard. This has been reviewed with the team.
Thank you for your kind mention of Cheryl on the second trip to the restaurant. I am pleased she provided excellent service for you and you enjoyed the experience.
I apologize the tub was slow to drain. We should have recognized this as we prepared the suite for your stay. Also, any low items need to be replaced daily and we have reviewed with our team the expectation of finding and resolving any deficiencies. Thank you again for reviewing us and we look forward to seeing you again next trip.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

we had an awesome stay - the room was amazing overlooking the ocean and dunes....spacious junior suite with plenty of amenities and stocked with stuff to do light cooking/toasting/microwaving - we sat on the balcony each morning and had bkfast and enjoyed the views - beach was great with drink service on the beach - folks were all pleasant and accommodating....grounds are amazing and great places to walk/ride/golf/etc...did not eat there or go to spa..
would def go back and had a great time there

Room Tip: get on higher floor than ground- may be hard to see over the dunes
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear dedon4:
Thank you for the “5” review. It pleases me that you had an awesome stay. Glad you enjoyed your Junior Suite and the beach and Gulf view it provided. Starting the day with breakfast on the balcony is a delight and I’m glad you found all the amenities in place in order to do so. Thanks for your kind mention of the pleasant and accommodating staff on the beach. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip here.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Great location on one of the best beaches in Florida. Too bad that The Resort at Longboat Key Club Resort does not feel compelled to either upgrade their rooms or adjust their pricing to accurately reflect the age of the resort or quality of food services.
We paid $995 per night for a okay but dated room-- not worth more than $300 per night AT BEST. There was mold around the base of the toilets and tub, very loud A/C awoke our entire family throughout the night when the compressor turned on & off, a constant electrical humming noise indicative of very old wiring, and if you enjoy a nice breakfast forget The Longboat Key Club!
The Sunday Brunch is $22 per person which would be what you would expect at a nice Florida Beach Resort of 4-Stars plus (LBK Club is 2-3 Stars AT BEST).... The breakfast buffet and service where terrible- cold eggs, under cooked bacon & sausage, the absolute worst potato cakes EVER (too bad this was the only choice), and to make matters worse when we asked if we could order off a menu due to items discussed above with Manager on Duty we were told ("Unfortunately Sunday is very busy so we cannot guarantee the kitchen will prepare anything off the
menu"). So your choices are eat the stuff which we had attempted to politely address as being unacceptable or go hungry (as this the only choice for breakfast at the resort). We asked for a compromise--we asked the manager if some of the buffet items could be refreshed with properly cooked items? This took 40 mins and was still a terrible experience.
If you want to go to a resort that requires you to drive to St Armand's circle to attain a good meal and if the price were less than $300 p/night I would not complain, but for a property to try and pass itself off as 4-Stars and price itself as a 5-Star is FALSE Advertising. Our family loves LBK and has been coming to the area for 15+ years (as it is only 2 hours away from our home), but we will NOT come back to The Longboat Key Club until management addresses some significant short comings.
Terribly disappointed!
To bad after asking a manager to contact us that neither my wife or I have received a single communication.... We recommend staying at another property to enjoy this lovely part of Florida but save your hard earned money for another proper that will appreciate your business.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Chad7373
Dear Chad7373:
Thank you for being our guest. Glad you enjoyed the wonderful beach we offer here. I agree that it is one of the best in Florida. You should not have seen any mildew by the tub/toilet as that is part of our extensive pre-inspection program. I apologize if this was missed.
I apologize you did not enjoy the buffet. I have shared your comments with our Food and Beverage Director. The buffet must always be stocked with fresh and properly cooked items for our guests. Along with the buffet, we do have a cook to order station for omelets and eggs.
We do feel that we are a 4 diamond resort and offer the services and accommodations to meet of exceed this category. I’m sorry your experience did not find that to be the case. I would be more than happy to speak to you about your stay with us and have also sent you a note directly in order to try and do so. Thank you.

Yardley, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Room very overpriced (over $500 per nght) for the quality (2-star furnishings, old, run down). Signed up for ocean-view, got a First floor room overlooking noisy, crowded pool area - a slight glimmer of sand through the trees. Would not return, ever --

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank katherine e
Room very overpriced (over $500 per nght) for the quality (2-star furnishings, old, run down). Signed up for ocean-view, got a First floor room overlooking noisy, crowded pool area - a slight glimmer of sand through the trees. Would not return, ever –

Dear Katherine e:
Thank you for recently being our guest. I am sorry that you felt the suite was overpriced. Our prices vary throughout the year and you stayed with us during the peak period. Our furnishings are all modern custom furnishings, but I apologize they were not to your preference. The suite was in view of the Gulf and many of our guests like to convenience of the location you were in, but if you have specific request, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate.

Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband and I spent five nights at the resort early in April. A hotel of this size is not our favorite, but we chose to stay here based on the excellent tennis reputation. That was most certainly accurate! Zo, the tennis concierge was wonderful in setting up doubles matches for my husband; the courts were great and there are many players either at the resort or wintering on Longboat Key to provide plenty of variety and excellent competition.

Our room was fine. We were in the lagoon view suites and would actually request that room again. These rooms are a bit more quiet and we enjoyed sitting on our balcony watching boaters and dolphins. Room was quite clean with a nice kitchen area, very convenient for snacks, lunches and drinks. There was a good sized flat screen TV and seating area which we really only used to watch some of the NCAA Final Four. There was a little issue with the faucet for our shower, but after we called, it was resolved quickly. I would say the rooms, primarily the bathrooms could use some updating, but nothing that would keep me from staying again. I am very particular about linens and these were fine.

The beach is lovely, long and nice for walking. There are plenty of chairs. The pool was very busy and being used mostly by families with children having a blast. If you are counting on a quiet pool or beach bar, the level of activity there might bother you. We only ate breakfast at the hotel and it was quite good. There was an excellent brunch on Sunday morning.

There are a few good restaurants in the immediate area, but if we return we would venture into Sarasota more as it seemed very easy to navigate. St Armand's Circle, with many restaurants and shops, is very near the hotel, but is very busy and parking is a little tricky.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Beachreader05:
Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your time staying in April.
I appreciate your kind words concerning Zo and the tennis program. Glad you were able to take advantage of Zo matching you up with others.
I agree that the lagoon view suites are quiet and a wonderful view of dolphins or manatees. Sorry you had an issue with the shower and thanks for noting it was resolved quickly. I understand the pool was busy when you were here. Keep in mind that was during family weeks when there is more activity.
Glad you enjoyed the Sunday brunch and your breakfasts at Sands Pointe.
We look forward to you visiting us again in the future. We appreciate your feedback.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Payed over $500 a night for our room and were extremely disappointed for what we had hoped to be a nice resort. We walked into our room that smelled like smoke, the bathroom fan was broken, an active beehive was on our patio, and the dryer was broken. After being shown a smaller room as an alternative at same price we stayed with option 1 hoping it would work out. We were told that the hotel can't control if someone smokes in the room. We headed to beach and walked up to the hotels beach attendants. One had a can of tobacco in his hand and the other guy had a drink. We asked if we could have chairs and they told us just to look for open ones. We then asked for towels and had to get our own at the pool. This is when we discovered how dated and small the pool is. Additionally for an inclusive resort they had very few beach amenities for kids. The beach side service was terrible. You are better off going to another resort or town that understands service and first class hospitality. Don't make the mistake we did!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Brookemitch
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
I am truly sorry you had challenges during your stay. We do not in any way condone anyone smoking in a room. If we find evidence of it, we charge the guest a cleanout fee as all of our rooms are non-smoking. We can and do work hard to control it. In your case, I'm sorry the issue occurred. The beehive and fan should have also been addressed during pre-arrival inspections. The second room you were offered was of the same category as the first but there can be slight size differences, but always as large or larger than the room description. Also, It is absolute policy that our employees are not to use any tobacco at the beach and I have never seen them do so in my 8 years working there.
The team works hard to satisfy our guests and the service needs to always be better than what you describe. I have met with our department heads and addressed your concerns to ensure procedure is always followed.
I met and spoke to you at the beach when I was making rounds greeting guests. You reported to me that your dryer was not working and you needed to get your clothing dried before leaving. We checked, and the setting on the dryer was set to "fluff". We set to the proper control and the items dried quickly.
Again, I apologize for not meeting your expectations which is disappointing to me and the team. .Thank you for the feedback.

tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

My two girlfriends and I went for the weekend for some relaxation. This exclusive resort is small, quaint, a bit one the 80's side-decor wise, but super clean. The rooms are so comfy, the staff- amazing, the amenities are absolutely fantastic. Everything is charged to the room, so you needn't worry about taking your wallet anywhere. I still maintain that the beaches on Florida's west coast are among the best in the world, and the private beach at this resort is exceptional. Oooh, cabana boys! The food was so good that us gals just made this place our home for the weekend- we did not leave the resort. I won't say who, but there was a handsome actor also staying there- and he sure gave us something to look at every morning at breakfast! We will be going back, with the kids as we did notice that it is a very kid friendly place to visit. Go!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, September 22, 2014
Dear DannyCappy
Thank you for your “5” review and for having your girls getaway weekend with us. Glad you found us very clean, but sorry you felt the décor was a bit on the 80’s side. I assure you were are constantly doing upgrades to the property. Happy to hear the staff was amazing, suites comfy and the amenities fantastic. I agree that the beaches here are among the best in the world and that you enjoyed the service from the beach team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Longboat Key
Sand Cay Beach Resort
Sand Cay Beach Resort
#2 of 6 in Longboat Key
4.5 of 5 stars 234 reviews

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!