“Exceptional staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
Toronto, Canada
“Exceptional staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Overall this is a very good hotel. Nice location, nice rooms, all the usual characteristics of a very good hotel. What stood out for me, however, was the level of service and the exceptional attitude of the staff. While on vacation there my husband became ill and was hospitalized for a couple of days. During this period, just about every staff member I came into contact with asked about him, and I could tell that the concern was genuine. In particular, I would like to recognize one person, Matthew Gordon, who was working on the front desk. When I mentioned to him that our rental car was stranded at the medical centre from which the ambulance took us to the hospital, he offered to drive me there to retrieve the rental. He in fact drove me in his personal vehicle and on the return drive to the hotel he stayed just in front of me to ensure that I got back safely. I was absolutely blown away by this gesture. We had to cut our vacation short to return home, but we would return in an instant for a future vacation.

2 Thank SharonB1948
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear SharonB1948:
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad you enjoyed the resort for the time you were with us and that you saw our customer spirit in our staff. We are all very sorry your husband had the situation he did while you were both enjoying your time. I appreciate your review as well as the email you sent me directly. Matthew is a very good leader of our team and I'm glad he was able to make your situation a bit better.

We will look forward in welcoming you in the future. Our thoughts are with you and your husband.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
now
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference. Better than average food for a conference with 100+ people. Food at the pool bar/restaurant was also good. The room was large with a kitchenette, washer/dryer, lots of closet space, balcony lounger and dining table, comfy bed with good pillow choices and amazing water pressure in the shower. My room had been updated but the resort had a late '80s layout/feel to it. The spa was nothing special. No soaking pools or amenities other than your purchased services. The fitness center had decent weights and cardio machines.

The pool area felt crowded and the pool is a little small for the size of the resort. Direct ocean access is steps away. Nice beach - lots of lounge chairs.

Service was spotty - it seemed like a trend of staff being somewhat "barky" e.g. One front desk clerk barking at the other to help me; the spa attendant barking at me about put your clothes there - the bathroom is not there - etc. My room did not have a hair dryer so I called down to have one delivered. 45 minutes later I called to ask if I could pick one up someplace - they promised to bring one up. I made a third request after another 10 minutes and asking nicely for help because my dinner event was starting in 15 minutes. I finally gave up and went to my event with wet hair.

There was a card in my room inviting me to enjoy a complimentary signature cocktail at the Lobby bar. I indulged - but found they had cheapened the promised drink using midori instead of absinthe. Lame.

I wouldn't choose this resort for a vacation - if it had been my money I would have been more critical. But it was decent for a conference.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank lostinthesupermarket
Dear lostinthesupermarket:

Thanks for being our guest for your conference. I'm glad the conference went well for you and your group.
I'm sorry you felt there was less than perfect service. A bit surprised as our goal is to make you feel pampered and relaxed. Not at all our standard for you to wait for anything and I'm truly sorry you had that experience. Would be happy to discuss this more with you offline so we can track the response and be sure it is perfect going forward.
Thanks again for being our guest and your positive comments on the food and your updated suite.

Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

we were there for five days. Nice place to go to if one wants to just relax. Nice restaurants in the area. Resort very quiet and private as well.
If one is into Tennis, this is a nice option given the tennis club that is linked to resort.
The tennis club is top notch. They have a tennis concierge service. Zo who is in charge is very good at finding matches with local players

Room Tip: we had a junior suite and it was great. It was a nice room to hand out in. rental car advised
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Nationalelf78:

Thank you for the "5" rating. We greatly appreciate your mention of Zo at the Tennis Gardens. Because of your positive mention of Zo, she will be entered as a finalist in our "Dreamaker" of the month for February! I'm glad you enjoyed the wonderful Tennis Gardens, home to the Sarasota Open in April. We look forward to seeing you again.

Roslyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

We came down from NY for Presidents week. I am very happy with the hotel. We were able to upgrade via AMEX platinum to a deluxe two bedroom. The room was seriously amazing. 2 beds 2 baths full kitchen and large living room. My apt in NYC is not this big. Partly I think we got it because of the woodpecker outside my window banging away EVERY AM, but whatever, kids are up early anyway. The kitchen had everything we needed. The pool is nice and never overcrowded. No need to fight for chairs at the crack of dawn. I also had no trouble finding parking spots for the car. The beach is terrific and clean. Lots of chairs and staff on the beach. Kids found tons of shells. The food was OK, but every meal had loads of service charges and really very little goes to the server so you feel compelled to tip. $45 worth of food turns into a $70 meal. I had a nice massage at the spa. All the staff members are polite and helpful. We would definitely return. In all, it's a solid 4 star resort, but they earned a 5 from me for the upgrade. Thanks AMEX platinum.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Edward R
Dear Edward R:
Thank you for the "5" rating. American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts Program is a great way to experience the resort. We appreciate you booking through them. Glad you were able to enjoy the spacious 2 bedroom unit.
The beach is certainly one of the many highlights of the resort and makes you feel like you are on a private island.
The service charge is 20% and the majority of that goes to the service staff. Tipping extra is entirely at your discretion.
Again, thanks for the "5" rating and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Our stay at the LBK Resort was fabulous.The beautiful suite overlooking the gulf was amazing(thanks to Mr.Matthew Gordon for assigning the room).The food was so delicious.The golf was great.I can't say enough good things about LBK resort.You have to go

Room Tip: Building 3 upper floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear YRRETELKNIHS:

Thank you for the wonderful "5" rating. We appreciate you being our guest and I'm am very pleased the stay was "Fabulous". It's wonderful that Matt was able to get you the view you were looking for. There are so many wonderful views from our suites. We hope to see you again in the near future where you can play golf and enjoy the beach!!

Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

I'd like to give you 2 1/2 stars but cannot so I will stick with 3. First contact with hotel is their obnoxious call center when trying to book...unprofessional and young agents who cannot speak proper english and do not know what they are doing. Very confusing!! My husband and I usually stay with Fairmont so we are used to reserving through President Club reservations...it is like day and night compared to LBK.
Since we were paying top dollar we really expected a much higher caliber of resort but we were very disappointed. Room was ok but not deluxe which we expected. View was fair not great. I told the maid about about a leak in our bathroom sink which was never repaired during our 5 night stay (2304)...kept having to use towels to mop up the leak. Buyer beware of their 2 week + notice to cancel (very ridiculous and consumer unfriendly). Other luxury resorts have no such lengthy notice requirement.
Well, let me get to the food...inconsistent, overpriced, not very well trained wait staff. You think you might be able to get a decent glass of Chardonnay at the bar but they only serve 2 by the glass (Hess and Arrowood) I pour wines as a part time job and there are so many more that are better. First night at the bar I ordered the Hess at $9 but did not like it so the bartender said that's what you get for $9 and he made me a Tanqueray gin and tonic ($10). Good thing my husband and I bought our own wine and liquor and made drinks in the room.
Bottom line is do your homework and make sure you are getting a good value compared to the competition. We will never go back to the LBK Club ever.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Martha C
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Martha C
I’m sorry you did not have a great reservation experience. We typically get positive feedback on the reservations experience and I truly apologize that you felt it was anything less than stellar. We have reviewed your feedback with the reservations management to ensure proper service.
Our Chardonnay’s by the glass are Hess Shirtail Creek, Arrowood Chardonnay, Louis Michel Chablis ( Chardonnay) and we have been featuring Laguna Ranch Russian River Chardonnay. We also have a very extensive list of fine wines by the bottle.
Thank you again for being our guest.

Brooklyn, N.Y.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed twice this past month, each for 4 days. Our first four days, we reserved a Lagoon View Jr. Suite in Bldg. #6. It was excellent and the accommodations were first rate. The view was peaceful and serene, well worth a stay. Our second 4 day stay was in an Ocean View Jr. Suite in Bldg. #4 and it was even better. The sound of the waves crashing, the expansive view of the water and the overall location were just about perfect. The Jr. Suites are the same size in each location (seemed to be just about identical) & are clearly engineered to make your stay carefree in every way. The suite's washer and dryer were extremely useful, as we played tennis regularly and used them quite a bit. Overall, our stays were excellent & we highly recommend the accommodations. Additionally, I can't say enough about the resort's tennis facilities and the Tennis Concierge Zo, who managed to get both of us into appropriate level games just about every day (a real challenge since we're at very different levels, but needed matches at the same time so that we could do other things together). I've had a lot of poor experiences trying to get matched with high level doubles players when I travel, since I'm a 60+ year old who plays at a 4.5+ level, but Zo managed to get me in with some very good players that were welcoming & friendly. We were also impressed with the Resort Concierge who recommended great places to eat in Longboat Key and Sarasota and made reservations for each place we were interested in. On site, we especially liked the Tavern & Whiskey Lounge for lunch and for their Mon. night burger dinner. The pool area restaurant also good at lunch although the staff seemed somewhat disorganized and the service slow and unsure.

Overall, we highly recommend this resort, as it is in a great location, has great facilities, is extremely friendly & competent and, although not inexpensive, is a solid value for what you get. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: If reserving an ocean view, we'd recommend the lower bldgs (1 & 4) over the high rises (2 &a...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear SteveRBrooklyn
Thank you for your “5” rating! Glad you were able to experience both the Lagoon View building and the beach view building. It is hard to pick out a favorite among those two locations. Glad you enjoyed the views and we appreciate that you highly recommend the accommodations. Thank you for your positive comments on Zo and the outstanding tennis as well as the help our concierge team gave you.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Longboat Key
#3 of 49 in Sarasota
Tropical Breeze Resort
Tropical Breeze Resort
#6 of 12 in Siesta Key

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!