“Wonderful experience all around”

Resort at Longboat Key Club
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
“Wonderful experience all around”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

First time visitor. We had a wonderful anniversary get-a-way experience! This property knows exactly how to cater to guests with 'high expectations'. We were thrilled with every part of our stay. The king beach view suite was impeccable! The couples spa massage was amazing!

This property feels very secluded and safe. Even though we did not bring the kids this time, it would be a good but not great place for kids. The private beach is very nice. We did not check out the 'Kids Klub' area so we have no idea what it had to offer, but it appeared small.

The only problem we had was the expectation of an evening shuttle service to/from St Armand's that was not available.

Overall great, clean property with great service which catered to a sophisticated, mature crowd. It is pricey but on par with the level of service and quality. We would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear BusDriverJ

Glad you enjoyed every part of your stay. I have let the Spa know that you had an amazing experience with the Couples Massage. That is a special anniversary treat.
Rest assured, we are a great family resort as well and the kids will have a great time if you bring them in the future. As far as transportation, we offer scheduled transportation to St Armands Circle during the daytime. We also offer on-demand transportation to everything within the Resort and Club. Thank you again for your comments.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2013

On April 28th we had our second visit to the Key ,courtesy of our son and daughter-in-law . It is just a naturally beautiful setting . The resort is beautifully done with wonderful amenities . Yet due to a friendly yet very professional staff there is a casual , comfortable ambiance . That says it all .

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The resort remains a truly ideal place for a vacation
The private beach is just that whilst for the more energetic their is golf and tennis
We are returning for the fifteenth time shortly
Well worth the trip from the UK

• Stayed June 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 4, 2013

The LBKC certainly has a wonderful location on a beautiful beach on the Gulf of Mexico, but I believe that it is significantly overpriced for the amenities provided. The buildings are old and not architecturally appealing. The lobby is very small with no fruit or even fruit infused water available. The pool is one of the smallest that i have ever seen at a 4 or 5 star resort and accordingly the pool area was very crowded. Lounge chairs crammed next to each other in rows - certainly not a relaxing setting. In the rooms, the hair dryer was of very cheap quality and the toiletries were from Tommy Bahama, not a high quality brand. The tennis facility is a 10 minute drive from the resort and the tennis office closes at 5 PM sharp. When I called at 5:10 to reserve a court for the next morning, no one answered. Hotel operator informed me that tennis office had closed for the day. For $400+ per night, I would expect more. None of the above complaints would have bothered me if the hotel was priced at $200-$250 per night, but when you charge the rates of the LBKC, guests have a right to expect exceptional amenities. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

3 Thank jaehh
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Jaehh
Thank you for writing a review on the Resort at Longboat Key Club. I’m sorry you did find the amenities as to what you were looking for.

Our tennis center was just named in the top 25 tennis resorts worldwide through Tennis Resorts Online as well as #1 on the Florida West Coast by Tennis Magazine. With 20 courts available, I trust you were able to get on to play. We offer apples in our lobby 24 hours a day on the table beside the Concierge desk. We also offer coffee in the morning and infused water in the lobby daily along the side table. The flavor changes daily. The pool is 76 feet in length and adjacent to the beach which is 1250 feet long. We also have a second smaller pool available at our Marina at Harborside.

Again, thank you for your review and I hope you will consider a return trip to the Resort.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I met his parents down at long boat key club after a week in Orlando. My boyfriend and family have been staying at this hotel for at least 15 years so i knew I was in for a treat as they have excellent taste! From the moment we arrived to when we left, it was like being in heaven. We had a beautiful room, lovely bathroom and stunning beach views. We had breakfast on our balcony overlooking the pool and beach then we'd spend most of our day either at the pool or on the beach. We ate lunch at the pool most days which was delicious, extensive menu to choose from. I used the gym most mornings which is a short walk from the main hotel but lovely as you walk through the grounds of the hotel. Gym is well air conditioned and had up to date equipment. I visited the library on a few occasions to borrow books or DVDs which was a great service. We saw two weddings take place on the beach from our balcony on two separate evenings which were stunning! Glass of wine in hand watching the sun set - Perfect! Staff very friendly and nothing too much hassle. Overall I rate this hotel 10 out of 10 and I absolutely cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear FasionGirl2012

Wow, a 10 out of 10!!! I’m so glad you enjoyed your first experience with us. Hopefully we will become your regular vacation spot as we are with your boyfriend and his family.
The Gulf does make a wonderful backdrop for the weddings that we host here and I’m glad you enjoyed watching the activity. Sounds like you made the most of our extensive amenities but still took the time to slow down and enjoy the sunset, wine and all.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

massachusetts
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I just returned from a short stay with my ten year old daughter and it was perfect for a last minute getaway. In a nutshell, this is a wonderful beach resort with convenient condo-style suites with full kitchens. Having a full kitchen just makes life much easier when I travel with my children. The resort is clearly geared towards families -- I would say that most guests were either grandparents with grandchildren or parents and their kids. So, probably not the wisest choice for either a romantic getaway or for a posh girls' weekend, but an EXCELLENT choice for a family vacation with the kiddos. And, a popular choice too. I believe the resort was filled to capacity during our stay. It was great to see so many guests having fun on the beach or at the pool. Definitely an upbeat "we're on vacation" vibe all around (live steel drums at the pool were a nice touch one afternoon).

There were a few little things here and there that were not perfect during our stay, but nonetheless I am giving the resort the highest possible rating for three reasons: 1) my daughter had a blast (see her review, below); 2) the beach location is beautiful -- salt/pepper sand, turquoise water and we saw a dolphin!; and 3) there are a few true superstars amongst the friendly, aim-to-please staff. I had a great first impression of the resort even before checking in thanks to Head Concierge, Gloria Schroeder. Gloria so kindly accommodated my special requests before arrival, which turned out to be a lifesaver after a long day of travel. THAT is what I call 5-star service, so thank you, Gloria! Lynda at the front desk was also extra helpful during our stay, as was Danny who works at the front desk AND drives the resort shuttle AND works in the kids club. The bellmen also work their hardest, literally running from building to building all day long. Housekeeping could not have been better -- no complaints here either. The hard working, yet warm staff is really one of the resort's best assets.

Still, I would offer the resort a few small suggestions: 1) spread out the beach cabanas; it feels a bit claustrophobic to be right on top of your neighbors; 2) continue to run the convenient St. Armond's Circle shuttle service later into the afternoon and evening; 3) weed out the staff that is not up to snuff -- most of the staff is fabulous but even one encounter with an icy or snooty employee can turn people off to a resort for good; and, finally 4) sort out the company policy regarding complimentary room upgrades when rooms are unoccupied (I vote in favor of room upgrades -- they are such a happy treat at check-in!).

I mention this last suggestion after comparing notes with one return guest who was quickly rebuffed when she requested an upgrade and was told it is "against company policy." She had been upgraded during a prior stay, so she was confused. I am still confused about this "company policy" because a gentleman who was checking in next to me was very loudly and ceremoniously offered a complimentary upgrade to his room. BTW, I had started my check- in first, and I was still standing at the front desk and was offered no such upgrade. Made me feel a bit insignificant -- unless you are also planning to offer an upgrade to the person standing six inches away from you, you should probably try to be a little more discreet. With new owners in place I am sure that the company policy will be ironed out, and handled more smoothly in the future.

All in all, though, I couldn't have been more pleased during our stay. We didn't take advantage of the golf or tennis offerings, but maybe next time!

Finally, here is my 10-year old DAUGHTER'S REVIEW -- think she liked it there? ;) . . .
"When we were in the taxi going over the bridge to Long Boat Key, all I could see outside was darkness, even though I couldn't see anything I knew Long Boat Key was super beautiful. Long Boat Key is not far at all from the great city Sarasota, the beautiful beaches of Siesta Key, the busy and beautiful shops of St. Armond's Circle, and the white sand island of Lido Key.
When we got out of the taxi and stepped foot onto the ground of Long Boat Key club and resort all I could say was, "WOW this place is beautiful!" Then we checked in at the front desk and the person who checked us was so helpful and he gave us everything we needed from maps to help getting our suitcases to the building we were staying in. During our stay the staff were great. When ever we called the front desk for something or to schedule something for us they would do it right away.
As we walked into our room what I saw was a pullout couch, a full kitchen, a huge bed, a long hallway, and a bathroom. When I went to sleep on the pullout couch, it was uncomfortable and the springs were poking me, then after a night or so I got used to it and it was super comfortable. We had two little patios when we walked out of our sliding glass door in the back of the room, and a flight of stairs that lead down to a huge patio with two tables, four chairs, and a lounge chair that we shared with our neighbors. Off of the back of the patio was a small flight of stairs that lead down to the parking lot of our building.The beach and the pool from any building is a hop, skip, and a jump away. The pool was a nice pool with a deep end and a shallow end. With a bar and restaurant. The beach water was a beautiful teal with very clean water. You can get help to set up the cabanas and order food on the beach.
The Long Boat Key Club and Resort was 5 stars for me. I would definitely come back. Our room was great, the staff were great, and it was a beautiful place."

Room Tip: We were happy with our Golf View Suite. For a quiet location, opt for Golf View or Lagoon View over...
1 Thank Ilene
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed in a beautiful appartment with everything we needed including washer/dryer and well eqipped kitchen. The view from the large balcony over the gulf of Mexoco were amazing. We borrowed bikes to explore the area cycling within the resort area which is huge as well as all along this narrow key. , so much to see and do and of course fantastic golf courses. The pool areas in both parts of the resort were marvellous, and the marina well worth a walk around. It is also worth a visit to downtown Sarasota for lively bars and restaurants as well as shopping.

Room Tip: We were on a high floor overlooking--more or less on...the beach. Fab!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Walker8866
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Walker8866:
Thanks for the "5" rating. We appreciate it. Sounds like you made the most of you experience at our resort and we appreciate you staying with us. Glad you were able to utilize our complimentary bikes offered from the resort and marina. Please come back and Golf with us anytime.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Longboat Key
#4 of 49 in Sarasota
Tropical Breeze Resort
Tropical Breeze Resort
#5 of 12 in Siesta Key

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!