“Excellent Food”
Review of Chart House

Chart House
Reserve with OpenTable
Chart House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 26 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Longboat Club
Transit: In front of restaurant on Gulf of Mexico Drive
Description: Located just west of Sarasota on beautiful Longboat Key, Chart House boasts a dramatic interior décor that almost outshines its stunning view of the Gulf of Mexico. Combine the extraordinary setting with outstanding cuisine, & it’s not hard to see why this tropical retreat is a longtime favorite. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From signature fish specialties and seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & our slow-roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines and our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Fabulous happy hour and patio!
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We ate here while on vacation. We seated at a very nice table overlooking the water. We arrived before our friends & we escorted to our table to wait instead of waiting in the lounge. The food & service were both excellent. Would definitely return.

3  Thank Sylvia H

Reviewed May 31, 2009

We made reservations for dinner on 5/30/09. We were promptly seated at a round booth that was big enough for 4-5 but was still rather cozy for the two of us. We ordered a bottle of merlot which was excellent and took the recommendation and tried the coconut shrimp for an appetizer. It was outstanding. We shared a Caesar salad that was definitely large enough for two.

I questioned the preparation of the seafood and the waiter was nice enough to speak to the chef about the various dishes. He took the time to discuss my preferences - I like flaky fish that isn't dry but not "slimy." The seabass was recommended and I ordered that. Moments later the waiter came back and said that the chef suggested I get something else because the seabass cuts were rather thick that evening and he thought I might not like the texture since it might come out on the juicy side. I was grateful for the change and ordered the baked Halibut (which I may add was less expensive than the seabass).

The baked Halibut was prepared perfectly. The flavor was wonderful. The fish was served with a side of rice and broccoli. Both were done absolutely perfectly. Rarely do I get vegetables that are cooked perfectly. It seems a strange comment but most are overcooked and somewhat soggy or undercooked and too crunchy. The broccoli was excellent and flavored with red pepper bits which tied the vegetable in with the rice and fish perfectly.

My husband got a filet and said it was very good. The steak was served as ordered - medium well. It came with a side of garlic mashed potatoes.

When we finished our meal the waiter asked if we'd like to wait a little before getting our dessert (you have to order the lava cake 30 minutes in advance). We finished our wine as we looked out at the gulf (and interestingly enough got to watch a shark swimming around the area for quite some time).

We ordered the chocolate volcano cake that is exquisite. I've had the Godiva chocolate lava cake at Ruth's Chris steakhouse and thought that was the best one I had every had but Chart House has that beat! The cake is served warm with hot fudge in the middle and vanilla ice cream on top with bits of nuts and toffee sprinkled on and around it. What a perfect ending to a terrific dinner.

I have never eaten at the Chart House because I was always under the assumption that it was very pricey. I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised!! Both dinners, an appetizer, bottle of wine, salad, and dessert was only $128. The service was excellent - the best service I've had in a VERY long time. The atmosphere is great for a romantic dinner, dinner with friends or just the family - overlooking the water makes this restaurant the perfect location for any dinner event.

We will definitely be back - especially because I'll be craving the fish soon! Trust me, you won't be disappointed! I love seafood and have been to many restaurants in the Sarasota area and this one is hands down THE BEST.

1  Thank Traveling4Three
Reviewed January 29, 2009

This restaurant is actually located on Longboat Key, west of Sarasota. It has a lovely water view and the upscale interior typical of this chain. Four of us recently ate here on a weekday evening. Service was good as was the bread (rolls) that came with the meal. We started with the calamari appetizer which was large enough for the four of us. We also tried their apple martinis which had a generous amount of vodka.
Our entrees included Macadamia nut encrusted mahi-mahi, coconut shrimp and shrimp scampi. All were delicious and cooked perfectly. The cheesecake was very good. The creme brulee was the only disappointment. It had a pudding-like texture, and the top was scorched black in spots.
The bill for four, including drinks, came to $184 excluding tip.

1  Thank GK1211
Reviewed September 15, 2008

Having visited a Chart House a number of years ago in Fort Myers area (Now closed) these restaurants seem few and far between.
My family had a wonderful meal at the Fort Myers restaurant and we were delighted to find a Chart House right near to Lido Key area where we were staying.

We were lucky enough to reserve a table for a Saturday and ended up agreeing to eat much earlier than usual so we could experience this place before we returned home.
What a mistake !

When we arrived we were directed to the bar area, which was full and had nowhere to sit, we stood here for aprox 40-50 minutes, I even returned to the desk to make sure she hadnt forgotten about us, she hadnt they were just busy - no apologies!

Eventually we were informed that the only table they had was outside and that was that, again no apologies even though when I told her that when I called I was informed we would be sitting inside. ( I get bitten!). Anyway by now we were just wanting to sit down and eat.

The food was average, I've had bigger & better fillet steak in Outback. Chocolate larva cake was very good but much smaller than I remembered as we got one to share last time whilst there was barely enough for one this time.

And to top it off I was really looking forward to the Tenderloins with Teriyaki - Didnt even have them on the menu. Yet when you check online at the Charthouse site they're on the standard menu sampler.

Wouldnt return but would probably try another in a different location. I was more embarrassed having told my companions how great these restaurants were - You let me down.

2  Thank hellsbells42
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Good considering not much else around.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook