“Great view, mediocre food”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Chart House

Chart House
Reserve with OpenTable
Chart House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 24 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Longboat Club
Transit: In front of restaurant on Gulf of Mexico Drive
Description: Located just west of Sarasota on beautiful Longboat Key, Chart House boasts a dramatic interior décor that almost outshines its stunning view of the Gulf of Mexico. Combine the extraordinary setting with outstanding cuisine, & it’s not hard to see why this tropical retreat is a longtime favorite. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From signature fish specialties and seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & our slow-roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines and our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake. Fabulous happy hour and patio!
“Great view, mediocre food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

This is a typical Chart House restaurant, with a dynamite view. Our service was good, and the ambiance nice. Also they have a good but pricey wine list. The food, however, is only fair, not great. My New York Strip was of Outback quality. My wife's grouper was ok. The Lava Cake desert was great. A nice place with great ambiance and fair food.

Visited August 2013

Tampa, Florida
“Below average...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had a party of 18 for my fathers 80th birthday. What a disappointment. We made reservations for an early dinner because we realized a larger party is difficult during their busy hours. We were seated right away and ordered drinks. It took 15 minutes for the first 2 drinks to arrive, then we re ordered all the rest. After 30 minutes everyone got their drinks, but by then people wanted refills. As the restaurant started to get busy, we lost one of our servers.
We finally ordered our meals and started waiting, and waiting. We enjoyed our time together and tried not to get frustrated. 45 minutes later our entrees came out. No one ever got their soups, salads, or appetizers....forget about trying to get a wine refill ! At this point we just wanted to go, so we skipped coffee and deserts. I was so upset because we had planned this for so long and had looked forward to my father enjoying a nice meal with family he hadn't seen in awhile. The food was average and a few were cold. I don't mind paying premium prices ,but this place doesn't hold up their end of the bargain.

• Visited July 2013
Grand Cayman
“A typical FRanchise restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Maybe I am being unfair of franchise restaurants but The Chart House is a franchise and it shows, it has its good and bad points.
We went for a meal on a very wet Saturday evening and the place even though it was before 8:30 was nearly empty. The drinks at the bar though generous (in my wife's case over generous as some was spilt on the bar as it was put down) were fairly insipid. I know Grey Goose Vodka and Bombay Sapphire Gin are smooth but we couldn't taste either because of the amount of tonic water used.
The Cesar salad starters were unremarkable however the stuffed Flounder that my wife had was in her opinion very tasty. My Teriyaki glazed Fillet was OK. The desert was an apple & berry crumble with ice cream. It tasted as though it had been bulk prepared and heated just before serving having said that I have tasted worse.
The wine list is interesting with wines to suit most palets and all pockets.
What I found very strange is that with its location with a view over the water they do not take advantage of opening for Lunch...very strange.
Overall I would not rush back but I could not say in all honesty that it was a bad meal / evening (the wine helped!)

Holly Springs, North Carolina
“An old favorite on Longboat Key”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We just returned from another great visit to LBK. Rarely when we are there on vacation do we not include a meal at the Chart House. It has been a favorite for all the many years that we have vacationed on the Key. While the decor has changed a bit over the years the food has remained constant. The salad bar is still a favorite, especially the made to order Ceasar salad. The view is an added plus, looking out over the channel and the water. Definitely a relaxing place for a great meal and certainly a place to take that special someone for an intimate dinner. Service is always good and definitely a place to return again and again.

Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
“Great setting - great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great establishment on the south end of Longboat Key. Beautiful setting. Food was very good; tasty and well presented. Helpings were average. Our server was very attentive, professional, and helpful with explaining the menu offerings.
One complaint is in spite of reservations, others came in after us (w/o reservations) and were seated ahead. While I don't allow this to ruin our dining experience, or this review, it is less than the standard I would expect from this quality establishment.

• Visited August 2013

Been to Chart House? Share your experiences!