“Awesome, Perfect”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
Croydon, Pennsylvania
“Awesome, Perfect”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed here June 10, 2013 to June 15, 2013. The location is great, a few steps to the beach or to the pool. Our unit was totally remodeled, it was beautiful. The kitchen was stocked with everything you need to cook a meal. The resort was quiet, and clean. I booked the stay with Terry Lewis. She was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. I couldn't wait to meet her when we got there. She was consistently helpful through out our stay. I am already planning to come back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I'm less than impressed... The only advantage is being in a place on the beach. The inside of our unit met our needs but not really a place that I felt was "nice". It has zero charm, coffee maker dirty w old coffee in it when we arrived, dead bugs in the bed and bird poop on windows. If you walk up from beach to the pool, you have to walk on grass, they don't have any path for it. We asked front desk about activities and they seemed to know less than I would... But offered Google! And the sand on the beach was dark had it has black grain to it, not at all what I'm used to seeing on Gulf beaches, I've been to Siesta Key a few times and the sand there is white like powdered sugar, I wouldn't have guessed that it could be so different here.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank AmyN12
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Based on reviews found in Tripadvisor, my wife and I spent 3 nights at the Sand Cay Beach Resort ( May 27-29, 2013). We arrived at 3:00 PM, At the manager's office,Olivia greeted us and our apartment 316 was ready for us. We had a great view of the Gulf, the apartment was immaculate, well furnished and very comfortable. In the mornings, we had coffee on our patio and cocktails in the evening.

We decided to have our main meal at lunch time so we tried Harry's Continental Kitchen on day 2 and the Dry Dock Restaurant on day 3. Both were great restaurants, the food and service excellent.

I don't remember when we had a better get-away. Longboat Key is like going back to "Old Florida". It is clean, laid back, quiet and thoroughly enjoyable. This was a great vacation. Thank you Tripadvisor and all those people who took the time to complete their reviews.

Room Tip: Unit 316 has a great location and an excellent gulf view. Recently updated, very comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dlherk
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have been vacationing in Longboat key since 1998. We used to stay at the Key Club until a friend mentioned the Sandcay. We were tired of overpriced drinks, so gave it a try. This past weekend was our 7th stay in a row. The value is hard to beat. The exterior is not much o look at as you pull up, but the units inside are fine. They are spacious and very convenient. The beach is literally a few feet away and there is a Hilton next door with a neat tiki bar and pool. It was a little more crowded this weekend than in the past (we go every Memorial and Labor Day weekends), but still not too crowded. In general this location is perfect for families ... not great if you are 20-something and looking for a party scene. My one reco ... spend time on their website as each unit is different (and some much better than others). Do your homework up front. No doubt you'll want an ocean view ... nothing like grabbing coffee on your deck in morning overlooking a beautiful ocean view.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Everyone came away saying "Best vacation ever!" It was exactly what we were looking for - quiet, oceanfront, family oriented. The staff and the guest were friendly all of our encounters with the staff were pleasant. Members of my family went to the beach every day. I liked the pivate (somewhat) patio (shaded). We spent lots of time there also. I do wish that all the TVs had the same cable set up - the one in the 2nd bedroom didn't have cable at all. Luckily someone brought the Roku. While I like wildlife, seeing a 2 ft snake slither past my patio was startling. My daughter saw it again (or one like it) on her way to the garbage can. I only saw it once, maybe it had a room - I don't know. The snake stayed in his space and I stayed in mine. All in all we had a wonderful stay at Sandy Cay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We had a 3rd floor 2/2 condo Gulf front. The view was incredible, especially from the dining room, which was wall to wall windows on two side facing west and north - both water views. The living room, kitchen, and master bedroom were all a good size but the 2nd bedroom was miniscule. There were two twin beds and a small dresser and no room to move around. Perfect for two kids but unfortunately we had another couple with us and it was embarrassing that the master was so big and the 2nd bedroom was closet-sized! We also had plumbing problems with the master bath so all had to use the hall bath. OK for a family maybe but not with two couples. Management sent the maintenance guy immediately and again the next day but toilet still would not flush properly. Other than that, the location of this condo complex is right on the water and is beautifully kept. We did not use the tennis court, but the pool is beautiful and large and of course the beach was incredible! Sand Cay has tons of white plastic lounge chairs on the beach - just bring your own towel. I would definitely recommend this resort to a couple or families of 3-4.

Room Tip: The best view is from the 2nd and 3rd floor Gulf front units, although the 1st floor Gulf front unit...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank pumpkins39
Massachusetts
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our first stay at Sand Cay will not be our last. We made reservation for next year before we left. The condo units are well designed and the onsite management is very helpful. A complete resort with pool, tennis court, a very nice beach with lounge chairs, free high speed internet and free laundry. We were on the second level and the partially covered patio had all day sun. Unit 205 was well equipped and comfortable for 2 to 6 people with two bedrooms and two full baths as well as pull out couches. Unlike most condo resorts Sand Cay is very flexible on dates and length of stay so you can take advantage of midweek airfares as long as units are available. A good choice for couples and families. Between Publix and Harry's Deli we ate most meals in the condo, but there are good restaurants within a short drive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
#5 of 6 in Longboat Key
Sandpiper Inn
Sandpiper Inn
#3 of 6 in Longboat Key

Been to Sand Cay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!