“Ciao falls short of our expectations”

Ciao Italia Casual Italian
Ranked #11 of 26 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We went with our friends last night to one of their favorite Italian restaurants. When they said it would be crowded, they were not exaggerating. It was indeed packed and the tables are barely an arm's length from each other. The servers can hardly navigate around the tables, and if you are sitting on the outside end of the table, don't even lean a little bit out of "your space." As a result the noise level is quite high, and you hear ALL of the surrounding conversations. My husband had the pollo putanesca, and it was nicely prepared with great flavors. I had very bland linguine in clam sauce; it had no seasoning, no garlic and no sauce, very disappointing. There were plenty of little neck clams but that could not make up for a total lack of sauce. The other two in our party were pleased with their dinners.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Dropped in for dinner last week, the place was packed so I was anticipating an excellent meal; however, the food didn't meet those expectations. Whenever I try an Italian restaurant for the first time, I usually stick to the basics..spaghetti and meatballs. I will say that they serve a huge portion of food, including 4 huge meatballs. Unfortunately, the meatballs were a bit too dense, the spaghetti was overcooked and the sauce, while plentiful, was rather bland. the place seems very popular and seems to have a following, so I would give them another try and see if my average meal was just a bad night. Oh, and my server was not particularly attentive nor personable, again perhaps chalk it up to a very busy night.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I had the Penne Pasta with Italian Sausage. Sauce was nothing more than the water remnants from the cooked pasta. Meal was average at best. Took piece of cheesecake back to; it was the size of a vanilla wafer. If you are a wine drinker - price is right - $3 for a glass of chianti.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Really enjoyed our meals and the classy yet unpretentious service. We had great bread,salads, soup, pizza, chicken entrees and one yummy canoli for dessert. Less expensive than the nasty bar food we ate at st Armand circle the night before & much finer quality!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Was lookig for a family run Itallian Restaurant. Found it and the food was good nothing outstanding but decent veal parmigiana. Locals appear to like this place as I heard many in there.. Was good enough to order take out pizza a few days later..