“Sophisticated”

Ranked #4 of 26 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Get ready to eat like a Longboat King at Harry's! Harry's has a take out deli and a sit down restaurant located in the heart of Longboat Key, Florida. Our gourmet cuisine is created by Harry Christensen, our award-winning chef who's been a fine dining staple of Sarasota for over 38 years! We are minutes from St. Armand's Circle, Lido Key, Bradenton Beach, and Anna Maria Island. Please feel free to review the deli, the restaurant, or both places.
Reviewed April 29, 2010

For this end of Longboat Key, Harry's is a more sophisticated dining spot in regard to its dinner selections and preparation. The ambiance is a little more formal, but far from stuffy. Food is well-prepared, - and more costly than most around here. Decent wine list.

Reviewed November 7, 2009

Found Harry's (the casual/takeout bldg, not the sit down restaurant across the street) by accident when needing a quick lunch. What a find! I wish I could go back every day and try all the salads and sandwiches. They were cooks who took great care in making real food, not the usual fried bar fare. Felt almost like you were sitting in someone's kitchen and getting a homemade meal. Service very attentive and genuine. Did not get a chance to go to the main restaurant, but would certainly put it on my list for next trip.

Reviewed February 3, 2009

Harry's in our case was hardly a special trip -- just .5 mile down Gulf of Mexico Drive from our condo, so we walked (and afterwards rented bikes from the shop next door).
Harry's is serving breakfast every day 9:00 - 2:00, but except for a solitary couple the patio was empty and no one indoors (and only one other couple arrived during our meal). The wait staff of two was VERY welcoming!
Prices were moderately high, but I'd say that the small German apple pancake (with ligonberries -- decidedly different and delicious) included with my Harry's All Day Special ($11) was the most expertly prepared item I had with any of my four vacation breakfasts. When I gave my husband, who'd enjoyed his own Roast Beef Hash with two eggs and sautéed vegetables ($13), he said that was what he'd order when we return in 2010.
Even though we winter-weary Ohioans crave as much sunshine as we can squeeze into a vacation, I think next time we'll opt to eat indoors in the appealing crisp coral-and-white tropical dining room.

Reviewed November 7, 2008

We have been trying to eat at Harry's for some time now, mainly as previous holidays to Longboat Key did not coincide with the restaurant's "open" season. This time, however, it did, and despite reading the mixed reviews here, we thought we'd give it a go.

Well, I'd really like to say we enjoyed it but despite other diners having had a good evening there, we couldn't say the same.

On arrival we were not asked if we'd like an aperitif, though another table (with another server) was - so that was a profit lost. We had to ask the very helpful busboy, Justin, for information about the menu. He did his best but when our server jumped in we still had to pump for information.

When we were ordering one of the entrees - the grouper on a lemon butter sauce - we had to ask what it came with. We were told it was served with "wild rice and mixed vegetables". When the dish arrived, it turned out there were mushrooms mixed in with the wild rice - which I did not know about. Had I known, I would have asked for an alternative as I am allergic to mushrooms. It was one of the other servers who actually noticed us debating this and who then relayed the news to our actual server. I had only had 2 forkfuls so it was fine, and as the rest of the food was served and hot, I did not wish the plate to be taken back to the kitchen, so I just pushed the rice to one side.

The grouper and sauce, though, were good, as was the grilled Parmesan and Romaine Wedge salad, which had a smokey grill taste that complemented our entrees well.

For the salad, 2 entrees and 1 glass of wine - total bill came to $100 including tax. This knocked us back a tad, as we had eaten in two other restaurants before this, of equal if not higher standard, and had paid about the same for more (2 aperitifs, 2 starters, 2 entrees, and 4 glasses of wine - one each with each course) and better service.

Harry's definitely appeals to a familiar crowd, but too overpriced for what it delivers. Other restaurants do it better.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed April 9, 2008

What a surprise. You might assume it will be just another in a line of typical beach restaurants, but as soon as you walk in and see the elegant decor, you know you're going to be in for a treat. Wonderful food and a strong wine list. And definitely try to leave room for the decadent desserts.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook