“Never Disappoints”

Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Get ready to eat like a Longboat King at Harry's! Harry's has a take out deli and a sit down restaurant located in the heart of Longboat Key, Florida. Our gourmet cuisine is created by Harry Christensen, our award-winning chef who's been a fine dining staple of Sarasota for over 38 years! We are minutes from St. Armand's Circle, Lido Key, Bradenton Beach, and Anna Maria Island. Please feel free to review the deli, the restaurant, or both places.
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

After living in many different metroplexes including New York and Tokyo, I have come to rely on Harry's to provide me with excellent and imaginative food every time! Sarasota and its surrounds have many excellent restaurants, but many are inconsistent. Not Harry's! Have eaten there many times and have always been very happy with the food and so has anyone else I have brought.

2  Thank Linda Z

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We chose Harry's for our Thanksgiving dinner. What a disappointment.

I must say that the only reason Harry's isn't getting 2 stars from me is because our appetizers were phenomenal. The awesomeness ends there.

We had 5pm reservations, arrived on time, but waited 35 minutes to be seated. Not good, but we weren't in a hurry so it wasn't a huge deal. We sat at the bar and ordered a couple of drinks while waiting. Service at the bar was a bit odd as well. After my bellini was made, it just sat there. My husband ordered an orange martini and was served his drink. So, I sat there, and ended up reaching across and just taking my drink. Weird. (Yes, I paid for it with my meal.)

Let's skip to the food and the table service --

Shrimp-cargot appetizer -- INCREDIBLY delicious!
Mandarin orange risotto (husband ordered as an app even though it wasn't on the menu as an app) -- BEYOND GOOD!

If our evening had ended after those appetizers, I would have said it was one of the best meals I've had in a really long time. However, my entree was the Seafood Cobb, which arrived with olives even though I asked for none. It was served with a dill dressing that was a cream tartar-like sauce in a little dish. Not good at all. In fact, it was disgusting. I can't even imagine mixing this mayo-like sauce in with my salad. I had expected it to be a vinaigrette style of dill dressing. I ended up asking for balsamic -- boring -- but better than a dry salad.

Our server asked if I'd like pepper on my salad, and I said, "Yes, please." He then left, cleared off a table, went to the kitchen, delivered another table their food, and then returned to our table to see me picking off all of the olives I asked not to have, and acknowledging that he forgot my fresh pepper.

My husband ordered the Seafood Pescatore and he liked it -- the portion was big and the seafood was cooked just right.

We saw Harry's son (who was managing this evening) walking from table to table asking patrons how their meals were and wishing people a Happy Thanksgiving. He skipped our table. Bummer, as I was all smiles despite the above and would have enjoyed a greeting. We are in our mid-40s and much younger than the overwhelming majority of patrons, and could only wonder if this attributed to our poor service. We'll never know.

Would we return? Probably not. Was this poor service a result of the restaurant overbooking for Thanksgiving? I don't know. I gather they may always be this unorganized. There are just too many other good options on Longboat Key. Try Euphemia Haye for the same prices, right down the street. That's where we'll go next time around.

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Had an enjoyable breakfast at Harry's before leaving Longboat Key. Service was a little slow at first (waited a little too long for coffee/juice and to place our order) but all servers were friendly and pleasant. Eggs Benedict and Harry's breakfast were both good. The coffee was rich and strong. Would definitely come back. Seemed like the place for locals, which is always a good sign. We would like to try lunch or dinner.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is one terrific fine-dining restaurant. One of the few that I've seen open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had the opportunity to sample Harry's for both breakfast and dinner recently and couln't have been more pleased with either experience. Once you get beyond the rather plain-jane appearance of the buildng, you are treated to white table cloths and napkins in with a cozy atmosphere. The staff is top-notch and so is the food
This place is worth a return visit.

1  Thank BoyScoutBill
harrysmanager, Manager at Harry's Continental Kitchens, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

BoyscoutBill,

Thank you for such kind words about Harry's. We agree that something else must be done outside beyond our landscaping and we are always bouncing ideas back and forth. Have any for us? Did you know the restaurant was once Harry and Lynn's house before Harry tore it down to build his dream of a restaurant?
We are pleased that both visits were pleasant with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future... perhaps in February when it's 78 degrees here and Michigan is..... well...... cold.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We popped in here yesterday for lunch.
We started with the Tapas plate which was 6 bruschetta topped with very tasty bit and pieces.
Then we had the Fish Tacos which were fantastic.They came with lovely piping hot fries which is a first for this trip.(Lukewarm food here seems to be the norm)
The Tacos were also piping hot with tasty fish and a lovely spicy chipotle sauce...Wow
Just hit the spot after being on the beach all morning.
Had some tasty IPA beer with our yummy lunch too.
Our server Whitney was very helpful and pleasant.
Great lunch if a little pricey.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are so happy to hear your lunch went so well and we will definitely share your kind words with Whitney. The fish tacos are one of my favorites...... great choice!
We look forward to seeing you again.