“Everything was good until we got the bill”
Review of Cafe Don Giovanni

Cafe Don Giovanni
Ranked #17 of 26 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We were a group of 6 (4 adults, 2 children). We ordered two glasses of wine, four entrees, and one children's spaghetti to be shared between my two kids. The adults all really enjoyed their meals. I had brought food from home for my kids, who are both picky eaters. And so I only ordered a small plate of spaghetti with olive oil to supplement the food I brought them. I was charged $10 for the puny plate of spaghetti noodles that were tossed with a small amount of olive oil. We had visited many restaurants on our vacation, and many of them were much more upscale than this one. At those restaurants, the most expensive children's meal was $6.99, and it included a protein, side dish, and beverage. So, $10 for a plate of plain spaghetti noodles was outrageous. When I complained about the ridiculous cost of the children's spaghetti, the waiter agreed that we were being overcharged. He asked the manager on our behalf to adjust the price (I thought that $3-4 would have been a fair price for what we received), and so they knocked off $3. I was insulted. We ordered 4 adult entrees and two glasses of wine, and that was the best he could do for us? So much for keeping your customers happy. It left a bad taste in my mouth, and we will not be returning next year for our annual trip to Longboat Key.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

New friends recommended this place. The menu looked promising but then we were served the food. 2 of us ordered a veal dish with a sage sauce except that there was no flavor of sage. The 3 pieces of veal were about the size of a silver dollar but much thinner. The other 2 people ordered something else and were equally unhappy as well.Usually we try a restaurant twice before forming an opinion but not this time. After reading some of the reviews I almost questioned whether we were talking about the same place.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We had good food but when we checked out the waiter went ballistic about the tip. He said we are never welcome to come back. He was yelling and used fowl language.

1  Thank Debbie L
Reviewed March 29, 2014

When you enter this restaurant situated in a nondescript strip mall on Longboat Key, the wonderful aroma of garlic envelops you. The restaurant does not have fancy decor, just checkered tablecloths, wine bottles and wonderful, wide spaces between tables. We loved that you do not have to listen to any other table's conversation.
Service was spot on. Friendly and efficient. When I mentioned that other friends who frequented the cafe had a favourite dish, our waitress went and asked the chef if he knew what it was and he was able to tell her it was the Lobster Ravioli in a tomato cream sauce.
All four of us felt our dinners were very good. The house red wine, a montepuliciano was served quickly along with yummy hot garlic bread. A house salad was included with the mains. Two had spaghetti and meatballs that were pronounced excellent, as was my ravioli. Our other table mate
had salmon with vegetables. The salmon was fine but she was not impressed with the pole like beans that were quite mushy.
This is a popular neighbourhood resto that we have overlooked for many years but that is a mistake that will not happen again.

1  Thank Judy A
Reviewed March 22, 2014

The food was very good but it took almost 30 minutes to order than 45 to get it so if you don't like to wait may be worth to go somewhere else

2  Thank Joycetraveller