“Stone Crabs and More”

Moore's Stone Crab Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Closed for Business We would like all of the people we had the chance to meet through the years we will miss you all Thank you From All of use at Moore's Stonecrab Restaurant
Reviewed November 26, 2013

If are visiting Florida and have never tried Stone Crab Claws, this would be the place for you. Their claws are always fresh (right from the days catch). Have tried almost all of the seafood on the menu at one time or another and have never been disappointed. I can not comment on the landlubber food for I have never tried any of it. This place is worth a try.

1  Thank CaptainMorgan6

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I would have given it a 5 if the inside wasn't so tired and didn't smell. We were able to sit on the covered deck and enjoy boat traffic and wildlife. Our server was excellent and all our meals were very good. The clam chowder was hot, creamy and full of clams. I had stone crab, served cold, and the meat came out easily and was sweet. The other 3 had sandwiches and all were prepared well and filled the plate.
Been years since we've visited and food was better than we remembered. But, again, wish they would update the interior. It really does smell as others reviewed.

1  Thank SRQtravelqueen
Reviewed November 21, 2013

As other reviewers stated, this restaurant is outdated but seems like a lot of the clientele is also so maybe that is what they are going for. I suggest sitting outside as inside reminds me of summer camp when I was a kid(lodge-like). The only reason to really come to this restaurant is...stone crab. They have 5 size options to choose from, ranging from medium(what you normally get at other restaurants) to mega which were the size of my head!! According to manager there is no difference in flavor, so it seems more about value vs wow factor. Prices may seem steep, it's stone crab not snow crab, but there is something about seafood that has practically been pulled out of the water and placed immediately on your plate that justifies the pricing. We started with an appetizer of 5 medium claws, cold, that came with a side and although I'm not much of a fried or hush puppy girl have to admit they were awesome! The kids size of fish was huge and my sons Cuban came with beans and rice and fries so congrats on filling up a seemingly bottomless pit. Peel and eat shrimp were bland, but then back to crab(warm this time) and we all left with a full belly. Not the cheapest or most gourmet but fresh and satisfying. I will be back, but only for crab(and hush puppies) as seems by other reviews and what we observed the rest of the menu is a little lacking. And the kids toys, nice little touch!

1  Thank adrian t
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I met some friends here for lunch outside on the deck. It was a little chilly to be eating outside, but the twenty seconds we spent inside to meet with the hostess was enough to know outside was the better choice. The inside is worn down and dated. It has a bit of an old person smell and is in drastic need of a remodel.

The outside is a different story. You really can't beat sitting on the deck overlooking the bay. We watched a whole pod of dolphins swimming around and then eventually hunting for their own lunch. It was amazing watching them zip around the area and jump out of the water. It was being at SeaWorld without the guilt of watching exploited animals.

To be perfectly honest we didn't look at the menu at all. We made the trek for one reason only, stone crab claws. I had never had the means or opportunity to shell out (pun intended) the cash before, but all my buddy has been doing since the season opened in October was talk about how good they are and how Moore's is the best place around here to go get them.

On the day we went they had mediums, larges, and colossals. We were hoping for jumbos, but the larges worked out just fine. The prices are insane, but you really can't do much better for reputable stone crab. They come with the two tiniest hush puppies you'll ever see, a side of soup or salad, mustard dipping sauce, and butter.

Stone crab claws are a very distinctive beautiful color. The shells are broken up by the chef so they aren't a problem to eat like blue crabs are. The mustard dipping sauce was awesome, and I wished I had more hush puppies to dip into it. The meat itself is very tasty, and left you wanting more when it was gone.

I can't get over the price though. This is definitely a once-a-season sort of meal for me. The large were $70 per plate, not including tip. 5 colossal claws were $180! I can't imagine who has the money for that for lunch. Just think about what $180 would get you at a fancy steak place.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Hadn't had any stone crabs for three years,so really looked forward to it.
Sizes on the menu ranged from medium to mega and $40-200.
I ordered jumbo for $53. They were OK.
My app was a crab roll which was delivered Luke warm.my husbands clam chowder was excellent and his shrimp good.
The building is indeed old Florida,which is kind of cool.

9  Thank CaroleeSouthFlorida