“Cool place to eat while on the beach”

Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Enjoy a delicious fresh Florida seafood meal inside the quaint dining room, on the outdoor covered deck or under the ancient Buttonwood Trees overlooking picturesque Sarasota Bay. Farm to fork, gulf to table and pasture to plate. It's waterfront dining with a unique atmosphere. Leave a dollar bill on the wall and a little bit of your heart to find on your return visit. Voted #1 place to Dock and Dine with our own private 14 slip dock. There is no place quite like the Mar Vista for real Florida dining.
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I had baked seafood medley. Had 3 huge scallops, 3 huge shrimp, a huge crab cake, and a small lobster tail. Could have used a little more butter and garlic, but wasn't bad at all. Service was great. Price was as expected for a tourist town. Loved the feel of the old building and property. Old Florida. You can keep the high rises and new fangled crap. Give me old florida!

2  Thank dennymonk

Reviewed July 3, 2013

All I can say was wow!! Amazing view,outstanding service and yummy food!! Loved the drive to Mar Vista, the peacocks were really cool to watch!!! Thanks:)

1  Thank Reejim
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Alone, worth a trip to Florida by boat, buggy, foot or private air conveyance. A sweet, sweet ride. The copper plated bar. The back bay ambiance. Bartenders Curtis and Jamie. This is the real deal.

2  Thank lbkwanderer b
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Upon reading reviews, we opted for Mar Vista for our family dinner out. The ambiance is nice, as expected from photos. Our server, Lynda, was amazing and more than helpful. Being a seafood fan, I "splurged" on a $26 seafood platter. Unfortunately it was all fried and very unsatisfying. I love a good fish and chips, but the fried scallops, shrimp and fish was less than satisfying. I have had better seafood in the Midwest, ironically. The rest of the family had typical American fare, but no raves or reason to return.

We were also told by our accommodations that Mar Vista offered call ahead seating. We called beforehand and they hung up on my husband. He called again and they said it was first come, first serve. No problem since there was no wait, but not a great first impression with phone skills.

1  Thank GoingNewPlaces
Anthony C, General Manager at Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for your recent visit and review of the Mar Vista restaurant. I was pleased to hear that Lynda's service was amazing. She just was just recognized as the 2013 "Favorite Server" in one of our local papers. I was disappointed to hear about your dissatisfaction with your fried seafood platter. It is one of our more popular items on the menu and can be prepared, upon request, baked or grilled. We do offer a variety of fresh, local Florida seafood, prepared by Chef George and would be happy to have you contact me to arrange a tasting of some of his less traditional typical American fare entrees. Thank you for bringing to my attention our less than stellar telephone skills. I will review our customer service policy with our staff on proper telephone etiquette to ensure this does not happen again.

Anthony Cucci
Mar Vista Restaurant
acucci@chilesgroup.com
941-383-2391

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Visited with Mr B, we had a lovely late lunch, looking out over the bay, a few boats here and there, under the trees, so cool with nice breeze. No pressure, which is just what you want in Florida in June, i am sure this place is jammed in 'season'- we will come back.
Nice Floribbean menu, emphasizing fish, good drink selection. It was a quick stop, my mozzarella, tomato salad was fresh and tasty - all components. The tuna in soy was very good, the fried tortillas a nice crunchy touch.
Mr B enjoyed his chicken breast, as always.
We will go back and its worth finding to try!

2  Thank discerningtraveler21