“Mediocre food in a great outdoor setting”

Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Enjoy a delicious fresh Florida seafood meal inside the quaint dining room, on the outdoor covered deck or under the ancient Buttonwood Trees overlooking picturesque Sarasota Bay. Farm to fork, gulf to table and pasture to plate. It's waterfront dining with a unique atmosphere. Leave a dollar bill on the wall and a little bit of your heart to find on your return visit. Voted #1 place to Dock and Dine with our own private 14 slip dock. There is no place quite like the Mar Vista for real Florida dining.
Struthers, Ohio
“Mediocre food in a great outdoor setting”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

After dining on several occasions at Moores (next door to Mar Vista) my wife and I decided to try this place, albeit with very mixed reviews. Sad to say I cannot offer much in the way glowing so far as the food is concerned, only that the outdoor dining area was pleasant. The evening began with our waiter complaining openly that "he had a long day" my preference would be either leave and go home or bite the bullet and take it like a man. My biggest complaint was minuscule portions of cold (Lukewarm at best) food, that started with a cold cup (more on the order of thimble) of lobster bisque. This was followed by a tiny piece of yellow fin tuna served with barely a tablespoon of lukewarm mash potatoes and exactly 4 strips of cold asparagus. All of which were served on a hot plate, however, serving cold food on a hot plate does little to remedy the issue. My best advice is to go for the setting, it is really a nice outdoor waterfront location, but be prepared for marginal food. I see the manager affords some obligatory response to negative reviews, unfortunately, I'm disinclined to put much stock in this, since the evening prior, we were in a hole in the wall Mexican joint having a $12 meal and it came out so hot I could hardly eat it. I wish restaurateurs (and the good ones do) could understand that if food is served too hot, you can let it cool off before eating. When food is served cold its worthless and nothing can be done. Sending it back when your waiter has complained about his "long day" isn't an option either.

• Visited November 2012
Anthony C, General Manager at Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit to the Mar Vista your paronage is greatly appreciated. Unfortunatley your dining experience was less than stellar and I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the unprofessionalism of your service and the cold food that you recieved. Please feel free to ask for me on your next visit and we will make sure that your dining experience lives up to your, and our, expectations.

Anthony Cucci
acucci@chilesgroup.com

Amersham, United Kingdom
“Best in the evening”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We have beeen coming here for three years and usually in the day. This latest visit in the evening was excellent. They seem to have uppped their game since last year with more attention to providing a better ambiance and food quality. As usual where the staff rely on tips to get any sort of wage the service was excellent. Sit amongst the trees beside the sea and it is really quite special. Same owners as the SandBar but the food slightly more interesting and a different but still beautiful setting, The mussels were great as were the salads. All we ate was good. It's stepped out of the 'sameness' that you tend to get eating in the US and in many of the restaurants in the area. Get there early there are only a few special tables.

• Visited November 2012
Thank you for your recent visit to the Mar Vista Restaurant and also taking your time to review us. Please feel free to ask for me on your next visit, if there is anything that will make your dining experience better. Once again thank you.
Regards
Anthony Cucci
Mar Vista Restaurant.
Detroit
“Great location on Sarasota Bay”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Nice food, wonderful outside seating on the bay, good service, This restaurant is located on the northern end of Longboat Key. The prices are reasonable. I would recommend the Blackened Grouper as it was cooked to perfection.

Visited October 2012
Lake Worth, Florida
“Quaint and Charming”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Good tuna and generally pretty good food. Years ago it had an even homier atmosphere which has gotten a bit "corporate." But--the decor and overall ambiance is still worth it.

Visited May 2012
DeLand, Florida
“Awful!! So disappointed!!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The only good part of this restaurant was the setting. We sat in the "tree" area which was very nice everything else AWFUL!!
The service was terrible! We waited to be waited on. Then our server "Luis" (I think) acted like we were bothering him. When the food finally arrived mine and my sister's dinners were burnt and over cooked. We told Luis and he just shrugged his shoulders and didn't care. Well, let me tell you, after paying $180.00 for a dinner for 4 that was so over priced and overcooked, people need to be warned about this. DO NOT eat at this restaurant unless you have money to burn, it is NOT worth it. Totally ruined my mother's 80th birthday dinner!!

• Visited October 2012