“What happened...heartbroken”

Sandpiper Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
“What happened...heartbroken”
Reviewed September 22, 2005

I am completely heartbroken!! I have been going to the Riveria since the FIRST summer of MY LIFE and have never had any problems. Today I called to reserve a room for my husband and I and recieved shocking news. They will not rent to me because we left a stain on the slip cover!! This is insane!! The floor was swept, dishes washed, beds striped, everything we were supposed to do. I can't imagine pushing away a life long customer because of something this small. I would prefer to buy them a new slip cover than to be kicked out like this!! I hope that the actual owners (managers run the place) will see this and contact me, and in the mean time I will be trying to find them. This place was a family tradition to me and my children, as I am sitting here with tears running down my cheaks. This, to me, proves right anyone who has visited since the new managment has taken over and feels the "family atmosphere" has diminished.

• Stayed July 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed June 17, 2005

I had a great restful stay at the Riviera Beach Resort. As an emergency room employee, it was wonderful to relax in the beautiful garden area, feed the birds that stroll on the walkway, and the location on the beach was just what the doctor ordered to relieve my stress.
The managers Marylou and Richard were outstanding, very attentive to my needs and even stopped their hectic pace to have a bbq with me and other guests.
While I was there, the new owners were present and were making many upgrades to the property, my garden unit got a new mattress ( what a restful sleep I had) and a brand new refrigerator.
This was my first visit to Longboat Key and the Riviera but I certainly will be making the Riviera a frequent getaway from my stressful life.

Reviewed June 16, 2005

Seems I need to revise my comments from May 10'2005
We looked forward to spend another vacation at the Riviera Beach Resort but it was not the same anymore. New management was not as friendly as we were used to, no beach towels anymore, umbrellas might be removed soon.... The new owner (present for some days at that time) did not even introduced themselves, did not talked once to us. The place itself is still beautiful but where is the special flair gone ?

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 6, 2005

For years, this has been a favorite place of ours to stay. Different owners/managers have come and gone but it has always been wonderful experience. This year, when we arrived, there were noticable changes in the grounds and the upkeep. Management was absent from premises for an entire day, over Memorial Day weekend. It was a disappointing week, getting worse by the day. In the end, we left a day early because it we were simply not getting what we had come to expect from Riviera Beach Resort.

We have contacted the new management in Vermont and stated our issues. Hopefully they will listen to their customers and make some changes, if they want repeat business.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 1, 2005

My family & friends have been staying at the Riviera for 10 years, because of it's charm, beautiful garden, family atmosphere & VERY FRIENDLY managers. The new managers (March 2005) have ruined ALL of this. The ambiance is gone....as is our business. I recommend The Little Gull, The Arbours, or The Wicker Inn - all close by.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 19, 2004

After reading someones, faceless , nameless review of the "Riviera Beach Resort " and how they claim to have been decieved by the owners, I am astounded at how low rent some people can be.
If you wanna know what a great place the Riviera is for a wedding just see the September 16th issue of the, "Longboat Key Observer",the cities local newspaper. My wife and I had nothing but an awesome experience when we decided to have our wedding there.
John & Jenny really came through for us in the shadow of hurricane Ivan. Despite the recent power outages and uncertainty of a possible impending disaster, they really went to bat for us and hit a home run!!!
We rented the whole resort for the weekend, for less than some resorts would charge you for a few hours.
I swear to you if we had spent a hundred thousand dollars on a wedding anywhere in the world, it could not have been any more perfect!!!
What an awesome day! We will return to the Riviera for many years to come and enjoy its gardens and unique privacy.
Thank You John & Jenny, for the perfect Wedding day!
Steven and Denise Ellerbe
1410 Ariana Blvd.
Auburndale Fl.-33823

Reviewed September 28, 2004

My daughter thought that she had found the perfect paradise for her wedding and reception - but little did we know that these people can not be trusted by their word. I would not recommend this place to anyone after what we have gone through. Even to stay at this "resort", I would require a contract with everything spelled out. Eight months prior to the wedding, they accepted a deposit that was sent with a letter thanking them for allowing us to have my daughter's wedding AND reception at this resort. We did not have them sign a legal contract, which I guess was our downfall. But my daughter thought that these people were honest and to be trusted. Within 25 days of the wedding they told us that we could have the wedding but not the reception there. We had done everything that they had requested. We had arranged for all of the details ( rentals, decorations, cake, etc ) for a wedding and reception to be held at that location. The wedding party had reserved rooms at the resort and guests had booked other rooms in nearby locations. With such short notice, we are still scrambling to make everything come together at a different location.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
Resort at Longboat Key Club
Resort at Longboat Key Club
#1 of 6 in Longboat Key

Been to Sandpiper Inn? Share your experiences!