“Fair condition, poor price”

Islandside Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Designed by Bill Mitchell, this 6,792-yard "watery challenge" borders along the scenic Gulf of Mexico, and is a challenge for golfers of all skill levels.
chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fair condition, poor price”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is a difficult *water on all 18 holes) course whose conditioning has improved somewhat in l;ast 2 years, but the price at $100 is way to high for the quality and condition particularly when compared to courses within a 30 minute drive in Sarasota and Bradenton.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Orrin B

Evanston, Illinois
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Nice course; needs a little work”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Nice venue but needs a little rehab. Cart paths need new blacktop and, in some cases are getting it.

Visited January 2013
Longboat Key, Florida
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Challenging course”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

You can play Islandside by being a member or staying at the Longboat Key Resort. Picturesque and challenging with water on every hole...bring extra balls.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank paul m
Bradenton, Florida
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Excellent golf course well managed”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

The two golf courses on Long Boat Key are both excellent places to golf. We are fortunate to have an agreement with them that allows us to play in the summer time, off season. Polite staff, an organized started and a course that is a challenge. Long and narrow. Well maintained and play moves fast. I have not played there in high season so I can not comment on pace and style of play. Helpful staff. Keep your head down and follow through!

Visited July 2012
IA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice layout, fun course, not worth the money.”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed at the LBK Club in July and went golfing on Islandside.

The Course
I am a middle handicap golfer with a drive that is inconsistent in where it wants to go. I was a bit nervous going into the course with the water hazards. Even spraying the ball with several drives, the water only came into play for me on a few holes.

The course has a fun layout. It is suited for those who can hit long and straight or for those who play safe and lay up. Most of the greens are protected by one or two bunkers. The greens had inconsistent speed which became frustrating, but I understand the need to water them during the day in mid-July. The greens were also a bit beat up: some burnt, many divots not fixed. The course is easily walkable.

There is only one area for relief from the heat and that is in the middle of the course. It would have been nice to have ice water available every 2 or 3 holes. Heck, rinky dink courses in Iowa do it, doesn't seem like it is asking a lot from a resort club charging the prices they charge.

My biggest issue with the course is the tee boxes. I understand it can rain a lot in a short amount of time in Florida, but to have crowned tee boxes and not vertical slanting boxes makes for uncomfortable set ups on tee shots. The ball was either above or below my feet on all tee boxes.

Staff
I've seen several reviews that the staff are overly friendly and nice. I found that they were cold to my friend and I with the exception of an old codger half way through the course who stopped to chat with us about how we were shooting and what to watch for on the upcoming holes.

Overall
We frequent the LBK Club once or twice a year. I love the resort. It took us a little over 4 hours to play, I should have know due to the retirement community that golfing at a good pace would be hampered.

I will probably play this course again due to the fun nature of each hole and the convenience of a short walk to it. However, I would compare this course to some of the nicer public courses in Iowa.

Visited July 2012