“Beach at your Doorstep but some pitfalls” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Diplomat Condominium Beach Resort

The Diplomat Condominium Beach Resort
New England
“Beach at your Doorstep but some pitfalls”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2009

We arrived at the Diplomat after a long drive from previously staying at the Disney's Swan & Dolphin in Orlando Fl..
As we were not expecting anything fancy this Hotel was rented for specifically the view.
I had researched this place & it was built back in the 1900's. This place that wasn't exactly what we expected it to be as you will read through my review.It was much older looking & more of a worn out appearance to the building than I would have imagined as you know its the care you put into a place that later shows years later.

The Units are set up like a Motel setting. I would like to start by saying that these units are individually owned & as expected ours was really small compared to other units in the complex as we had rented a Studio so there was no seperation of the kitchen to the bed & living space it was a open floor plan.

I will begin with the best feautures first.

The best thing I could say about this place is that the unit is kept clean & there is also maid service. Then there is the "Great AC" that kept the room nice and cold.
A Lovely view of the beach right out your window along with chairs outside your door onto the shared balcony you can sit and watch the waves or the sun rise from afar.

The disappointments - Apartment setting not really a bug turn on....No new appliances in our unit. A older style TV with no cable.
A more worn out appearance to the room that could use some updating. There were really bad cracks in the ceiling. The King Size Bed we were to sleep on had a very old Mattress & Boxspring that seemed to be rotting with discolor of yellow along the side and mostly needed a good cleaning. The sheets on the bed were rough along with a uncomfortable comforter. No frills or anything fancy... I have actually had better sheets at a Motel 6 sadly said.
No Comfort what so ever at this place. I tried to be gone most of the time on the beach as this sad place suffered. The shower had no pressure & handles got stuck as they were bent very difficult to turn on and off cold water as I ended up stuck in the shower with this issue.. The toilet for some reason started to have flushing issues & we needed to constantly take off the back of the toilet and pull the the chain up.

Kitchen was ok. Very outdated" No garbage disposal but wasn't expecting one.

The Cockroaches were outside the door at night & this room happen to be steps out the front door to the large garbage bin that the maid used for every units garbage.
I am assuming thats were those bugs hid. They were HUGE ! but I was already aware of this as we have been to Florida many times. They did get into the room as we were so careful & ended up entering the unit from the back door for the remainder of our stay.. I had to go over the room completely each night before I could climb into the uncomfortable bed.:(
I found myself unable to sleep due to the comfort issue :(..
3 days into the stay I awoke with big welted bites on the back of my legs & behind the knees. I was using every bug spray they sold over the counter . There was a bug outbreak in the room I realized I was being feasted on while I was half cocked sleeping. These little flying bugs were hatching right from the window seals & AC unit & they were EVIL & it seemed that they were cleverly so smart.. ha ha ha

The BEACH : If your looking for crystal white sands then this isnt the place for you !! Go to Siesta Key or Lido Key or you can head up the gulf. This beach is best for shelling. The sand isnt the cleanist either as advertised because of the tourists who dump there garbage,old flip flop shoes..etc. behind. The other BAD thing we didnt like was the fact that fisherman were everywhere fishing right off the beach where you are lying out at. A bit afraid of getting hooked by a old fishook..unsure why the beach allows this along the whole beach all the way down you can see old fish nets caught in the water stuck thats killing the sealife. Somebody should clean this place up & do a better job with protecting the waters !! SAND FLEAS whatch out.
Amentities: POOL & 1 regular sized washer & dryer for laundry @ 1.75 a load. I decided to go up to town & wash my clothes in the larger washer & dryers.

The area: Its amazing that 1 minute your passing beautiful million dollar homes & then you run into the rundown areas all around as expected in most area but a bit more unusual ... Best advice is the Rule of thumb "Never let your guard down no matter where you vacation"
Would we come back ?? NO

Value compared to others in the area was affordable..
VRBO.COM " here at this site you can find privately owned units all over the world at many different price levels. BARGAIN

Weak Free WIFI

Restaurants in the area are HIGH PRICED but the food is good.
BEST $$$ Tijuana Flats in Sarasota FL - BEST FOR YOUR MONEY & GREAT FOOD! A must check out,,,If you ask where they are nobody really has any idea but they have heard of the place where we stayed & sent us up the road to Armands Circle.

Spend your vacation in ARUBA !! We WISH we did!!! We have been there many times & spent half of what it cost for this total trip & stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Pennybegood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

You are literally take ten steps outside your door and you are on the beach. It's so convenient. The building is only two stories so you can run in/out all day for drinks, food, the bathroom, etc... There's also a pool and outdoor tables where you can eat and play games. Although these condos are not luxurious, they have everything you need including a full kitchen and laundry facilities. There's a Publix and drugstore 1/2 mile away. All rooms are ocean front. Longboat Key is a quiet beach town. Everything is closed by 10pm. The only negative I can think of is that the bedroom is in the back (road side) so sometimes hear cars in the morning.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank CarlS6635
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

Our family stayed at the resort and loved it. Right on the beach and the room had everything you could want. We rented the 2 bedroom unit #247 on the second floor. They have only two 2 bedrooms suites and the other one is on the first floor but no view. We were right by the pool and with the elevated view it made the sunsets even more grand. The unit itself had a unique set up, 1 king bed, 2 queens and full living room, dining room and large kitchen and truly modern and updated. We have tried a few of he other suites but this one is the best for us. Make sure you ask for this one you wont be disappointed

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank rickyroberts
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2009

Overall, this is a pleasant place to stay in an incredible location at a great price.

You can get a large, one-bedroom suite, with full (but not fully stocked) kitchen, DIRECTLY on the beach, with an unobstructed view of sunsets over the Gulf. Rooms are clean and comfortable.

However, it is a budget option. Furnishings are adequate, not luxurious, and things aren't always as "fresh" as you might expect. (Each unit is individually owned, so things vary. For instance, make sure you request a dishwasher if that's important to you!) The biggest drawbacks are twofold: One, the bedroom faces the road, and you do get road noise. Two, the balconies double as exterior hallways, so you don't have as much privacy as you'd like.

Given that, however, for this price in this location I would say it's worth it. Our room, in January, was less that $200/night. For that, to be right on the beach in the center of Longboat Key? Oh yeah. Just know what you're getting into and decide if the shortcomings listed above are going to be detriments to you.

• Liked — Location - great Gulf views, convenient to sights
  • Disliked — Noise level. Lack of privacy
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Lovingcouple
Little Rock, AR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

Just back from a wonderful stay at the Diplomat. As mentioned, it’s not the Marriott. But, that can be a good thing. You know you’re in Florida when you pull up to The Diplomat, which looks like a 1960’s 2 story motel painted Florida aquamarine, now converted to condos. Rooms are all decorated differently but ours (and I suspect most) was beachy (fish lamps, dolphin art). OK, the whole place was just a little tacky, but in a fun way. It was clean and had everything we needed. Fully stocked kitchen (down to the coffee filters), walk-in closet, couch, small table, comfortable bed, TV, DVD. Lots of character. The efficiency was larger than a typical motel room. The best part was the beach view and sound of the waves from the room. The other people were friendly and tended to be owners or return visitors. The office staff was very helpful. The beach was fantastic, it seemed you could walk forever in either direction. I could see dozens of pelicans and hundreds of seagulls from my window. There were cranes and a beautiful Blue Heron who hung out right outside the rooms.

Only a few minor negatives. Refrigerator was a bit loud at night. If you’re a light sleeper, consider a 1 bedroom so you have a barrier between the bed and kitchen. The balcony is not private, more of an outside walkway, though still a good place to sit. If you need a lot of hotel support, this might not be for you. No restaurant. The office is closed at night but they made arrangements for us to check in late.

Overall, I loved it and would return without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2008
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

The price/value ratio cannot be beat, book directly through the resort website, it has interior pics of each unit which allows you to choose the best layout for you.

The Diplomat is right on the beach on Longboat Key. While the building is several decades old and it's no Marriott, it is well maintained and clean.

I really like Longboat Key because it is not crowded like the other islands. If you like peace and quite, choose a unit away from the pool. If it's ocean views you like, choose a second floor unit.

We chose a 2nd floor unit right by the pool for convenience. The beach is just awesome, I highly recommend it for a relaxing vacation.

Party Warning: There is NO nightlife in Longboat Key. NONE.

• Liked — Full kitchen and spacious
  • Disliked — A little dated but clean
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FredMD
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

We spent 6 days and 5 nights in mid June 2008.

The condos are RIGHT on the beach which is excellent. You walk out the back door and literally you are on the beach. It was nice to have a full kitchen too bc there aren't just a ton of food options on Longboat Key itself. We loved the beach and how private and not crowded it was. It was great just to be beach bums.

The room was clean, but I was a little turned off bc the maid service had a tip envelope in the room. They didn't do anything above and beyond to deserve a tip. They also don't work on Sundays.

We found several small roaches in our room which sort of turned me off. THe air conditioner in our unit also didn't really cool that well. It leaked horribly too and there was always a huge puddle around it. I also never felt like the doors were safe. They didn't close or lock very well.

I was completely turned off by they staff. They were down right rude to me. We requested a late check out 24 hours in advance like they require. THen they called us the day we were checking out and were really rude and said they had no record of us requesting this. I had gone in person and been assured it was fine. Then when I went to check out they were incredibly rude. They didn't even thank us for our stay. It was very 'give us your money.' They weren't friendly with check in either.

We did have a great vacation despite all of this. Longboat Key is beautiful and the Diplomat was all we needed. I think next time we are going to stay at the Seahorse Beach Resort.

• Liked — It was right on the beach
  • Disliked — The unfriendly staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Lido Beach Resort
Lido Beach Resort
#10 of 49 in Sarasota
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,439 reviews

Been to The Diplomat Condominium Beach Resort? Share your experiences!