“Great place to relax!”
Review of Edgewater Lodge

Edgewater Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Long Key B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We had one of the rooms with a sliding glass door and deck right on the water, several nights we brought fresh and awesome takeout seafood back to the room and ate on our deck, as the sunset was as nice off of our deck then anywhere else we ate. Edgewater had a sheet with places to eat and things to do that they recommended, and they were spot on, we found some of the best places thanks to their recommendations.

We caught fish off of our pier (there are 4) there were guests fishing off of the piers quite often during our weeks stay in March. I'm sure there were a few empty rooms, but the lodge was pretty much full the week we were there, with alot of return guests, one very nice couple from Boston said they had been coming there for over 30 years, and also were a great help in us with suggestions. We also used the lodge's double kayak, they also had a single. We also snorkeled right at the property and saw many tropical fish, wait till the tide is on the way up so there is very little current. We could always see fish in the clear water right off of our pier without getting in the water.

Both Melinda and Paul were there on our weeks stay and both were very helpful, Paul even let us use his divers down flag while we were snorkling, something being from the midwest we were not even aware that we needed for safety and he suggested we use when he saw us head out with our snorkle gear. We also got to talk to Melinda several times during our stay and she was always very helpful, I had also called and talked to both of them a few times before our stay as I had alot of questions about what to bring for our trip and they were both always very accommodating.

We use trip advisor all the time, and part of our family business lets us travel all over the U.S. from coast to coast. We rarely have a bad stay, again because we use trip advisor, and it always amazes me when I read bad reviews, and it does not matter if it is a 1000 dollar a night hotel, there will be bad reviews at great places, I have learned to read between the lines, as it is hard to imagine where some of the people who write bad reviews about great places come from. I guess things like 'spoiled at a young age' or 'high maintenance' comes to mind...Ha!

I promise you Edgewater lodge is a great place, just keep in mind you are not paying 1000 dollars a night, far from it, one of the cleanest places combined with best values along with hands down the very, very best view we have ever stayed at!

Room Tip: We did several self guided Kayak trips in the area, one of the best was at Long Key state park, just...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ncsaknecht
islamelia, Owner at Edgewater Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

I am so glad you had a good time! I appreciate your comments and you taking the time to write about your experience while visiting the Keys. I hope you get a chance to visit again. Thanks so much!

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I just read the review by kf3. I have to completely DISAGREE! We've stayed there six or so times and love it. Melinda, the owner is extremely friendly, gregarious and accomodating. Besides, there are security cams so why would she need to ride by and spy? The prices are great- try and find a better rate down there! This review just sounds suspect to me- total opposite of any experience we've had there... Matter of fact, we're saving for another peaceful weekend at Edgewater Lodge. Can't wait for another trip to paradise!

• Stayed: February 2012

Thanks so much for your support and comments. That was a good point about the security cameras, (which are really focused on the car and boat parking areas). Some folks are just paranoid I guess. I look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 10, 2012

We had a room where you could jump off the balcony into the warm water and swim, cook breakfast, have a perfect view of the sunset over the water, take a free kayak out on the gulf, fish off the hotel pier, see a manatee swim by as you ate brunch, and grill your fresh-caught fish for dinner. I will stay here many more times.

• Stayed: April 2012
islamelia, Owner at Edgewater Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Thank you! We appreciate your business!

Reviewed March 31, 2012

The rooms were barely adequate, but the customer service was rotten. It felt as if we were always being watched as the owner constantly drove about in her golf cart. She was not welcoming or accomodating. During the time we were there only 4 (out of 16) units were rented. We would not return, nor would we reccommend this place to anyone. Perhaps the reason so few units were rented was the lack of return customers. The owner made it easy to want to leave the Keys, which is the opposite of other places we've stayed in the area. For the amount of money we spent, I would have expected more, like a comfortable environment to vacation at.
Although other reviews say the staff was friendly, perhaps they traveled when the female owner was not there since the male half of the ownership was better.
My suggestion is not to chance it and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the water will be quieter. Rooms that face the road (US1) get a lot of road noise...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
islamelia, Owner at Edgewater Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2012

The whole time this group was here they never indicated to me they were unhappy as I spoke to the lady that make the reservations often. And as far as being in a hurry to leave the Keys, they asked for a late check out and I graciously extended to them an extra hour as my cleaning person needed to get his work done in time to catch a bus back to Marathon. At noon no one in this group had begun to pack up so I had to please ask them to pack up so we could start cleaning the cottage. After finally packing up and vacating the cottage, they stayed until at least 2 pm having lunch, swimming in the pool and fishing. This is 3 hours after check out and they certainly were in no hurry to leave and I had no problem with them using the property even though they were no longer registered guests. That was my "horrible service".

Reviewed March 29, 2012

This is what "the Keys are all about". Nothing fancy, just "your basics", but pricing is "not over the top". Great location right on the water, nice pool, and centrally located near the "bigger Keys," where all the stores/restrurants, etc. are.Just 15 minutes in either direction. Many types of rooms to fit your needs. They even have an outdoor grill/picnic tables to grill for a "stay at home night, watching the "BEST" sunset in the "Keys". Right in front of the hotel overlooking the crisp clean waters. Across the road, you can fish on the 3 mile bridge, and walk it "both ways" for a total of 6 miles walking. Very safe, no traffic"...Owners went out of their way to please you , all you have to do is "ask" if you need something.

Room Tip: If you like walking out your doorwall and facing the water, they have rooms that you "walk righ...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you! I appreciate your business!

Reviewed March 15, 2012

This is our third time at this lodge and we will be back again next year. You just can't beat the relaxing atmosphere and friendly owner. If you like simple and clean for a great price then this is your best bet!

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 6, 2012

The rooms are very clean and the service incredibly friendly. We stayed here for a couple of nights and kept on extending our stay. Everything you need is here,BBQs,pool,a kayak,not to mention the jaw dropping sunsets. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway

Been to Edgewater Lodge? Share your experiences!